Home Depot downgrading their experience

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The only way to access the in store receipts is through their mobile app now. The desktop website only has a section for orders made in store. .

Looks like they want to clamp down on some habitual returners who print out their receipts after misplacing the original.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I absolutely hate this trend of forcing apps for everything. Guess screw anyone who does not have a smartphone or is running a custom rom. Why can't they just make this stuff a freaking website? It would actually be easier to code as you only need to do it once, and be device agnostic.

If they get rid of paper reciepts guess I'll start shopping at Home Hardware instead. Really I have no reason not to, I just go to Home Depot by default. Home Hardware does have oddball operating hours though, I find most of the time they're closed.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Home depot takes returns for store-credit without a receipt. (at least as of a month ago when I did so)

I try not to shop there anymore because they supported Trump.

Reactions: Number1 and dank69

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I absolutely hate this trend of forcing apps for everything. Guess screw anyone who does not have a smartphone or is running a custom rom. Why can't they just make this stuff a freaking website? It would actually be easier to code as you only need to do it once, and be device agnostic.
It's obvious it's about the money.
It WAS a website feature until maybe just a week or a month ago to be able to view and print out in-store receipt if you used a credit or debit card.

They have a liberal return policy that people KNOW they will honor. So this inconvenience might result in at least some store credits issue instead of full refunds. After all, I guess the credit cards company gets to keep their fees even if a return occurs.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Considering little children can easily install and use apps to view things like e-receipts and pretty much everyone has a smartphone now I'm really struggling to see the serious problem here.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Considering little children can easily install and use apps to view things like e-receipts and pretty much everyone has a smartphone now I'm really struggling to see the serious problem here.
The concern is that they will might take the feature off the app if they need to rectify their bottom line further.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't use (cr)apps unless they solve a problem, and a manufactured problem by a company isn't a problem. Of all the programs I've installed on my phone, I think 2.5 are proprietary, and none are are commercial "enhancements" from businesses. If I can't use a web browser, I don't participate.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Some people actually care about their privacy and don't actually want to run a standard ROM (ex: stock Android/apple), or a smartphone altogether.

Some things are just better to keep analog.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I prefer to use paper a lot of the time myself and have been worried about privacy since the first moment I was online.

Having said that, needing to display a receipt on my phone to make a return is WAY down the list of thing's I'm losing sleep over.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's not having to display it that's the problem, it's having to own a phone that is compatible with the app that's required to display it. Stock Google/IOS phones are terrible for privacy. I use a custom rom by choice which means any app that is not available as an APK will not work for me even if I wanted to install it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The "custom ROM" thing is a real mixed bag in terms of security.

You're every bit as likely (if not more) to INTRODUCE problems as you are to prevent them and major patch's/updates tend to be few and far between.

Not that I'm arguing the fact that Google essentially = spyware.

EDIT: I'm heading to the grocery store (Stop & Shop) shortly and this is a perfect example of similar stuff that DOES annoy me lol.

It used to be easy super easy to print a list of coupons/sales you wanted to take advantage of. NOW however you need to squint at a tiny window on your phone then scroll like a madman to find what you want.

There are several work-arounds to print deals anyway but what a PITA.

:mad: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Brainonska511

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Home Depot keeps track of your purchases if you use a CC. I've returned stuff multiple times, without a receipt, for my money back, because they can pull up the receipt if I have the CC with me.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
opjELhlaWauF4u1v6MnpFptFUgg9AEUkiVmszIOMYQk.jpg

this-is-fine.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Anything important anyway. I like that the dollar store asks if you want a receipt. One less piece of paper to deal with, and even if something's broken, it isn't worth the effort to even think about, much less return. The SSDs I recently bought, I definitely want a paper receipt when I leave.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No receipt = No sale. I want physical proof of purchase right after I pay for something.

The last thing I bought @ Home Depot I DID get a paper receipt now that I'm thinking about it. (roll of Gorilla tape)

This was on the same trip I returned another item without one!

Reactions: balloonshark

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It used to be easy super easy to print a list of coupons/sales you wanted to take advantage of. NOW however you need to squint at a tiny window on your phone then scroll like a madman to find what you want.

There are several work-arounds to print deals anyway but what a PITA.

:mad: :rolleyes:

I think AARP gives discounts on eye exams. Just saying... :p

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Well, they changed things up again

They brought back the ability to access in-store receipts on a browser.

But it appears they only keep receipt transactions around for only the past three years. (Or is it because of expired credit cards? hmm)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I popped into Best Buy to pickup a web order the other day. There was like a bouncer at the door. No more registers, just one did "guarding" the entrance with like a movie theater-style divider. Can't just walk in anymore, he asks you what you're doing there. I said web order & he pointed me to the new counter that has the web orders & I guess the checkout. Two people there plus a tech. And like one dude floating the store for help. Felt dystopian lol.