Home Brewers: How Did You Get Your Start?

May 31, 2001
The local University is offering a class on home brewing that starts this evening. I've thought about learning to brew beer before, but have never had the time. This class is only one hour on Friday nights through the end of April though, so I think I could manage that.

shenaniganz

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
I just got started. Bottled my first batch on Tuesday. It should be carbonated in a couple weeks. I just can't wait that long. Hopefully it doesn't taste like sh!t. I think the best thing to do to get started is to learn by experience and read up on beer forums and books. But don't take my word for it, like I said, I am a total brewing noob.

Jan 18, 2001
it is really pretty easy, but it helps having a friend or someone show you the process. Thats how I got started. A buddy let me help him on a batch and after that I was hooked. That was about 10 years ago.

There are good books out there too, that could help yuou get started. If I were you I would take the course, because you will probably get to taste some different styles, see all the equipment and ingrediants. That would be helpful.

How to Brew is online, just google it, and its a great resource.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I got started with a local homebrew place, Maltose Express.

Caught a radio commercial they did about a sale on homebrew kits, all the basic equipment needed like brewpot, carboy, fermentation vat and lock, syphoning tubes, capper, etc. I'm a beer lover and it sounded like fun, so went to check them out. They were incredibly nice, talked me through the entire process, taught me how to use the gear, how to avoid beginners mistakes, how to find bottles cheap, good recipes, how altering recipes would change the character of the beer, etc. The guys were total homebrew gurus and were happy to share the knowledge. Walked out with all the gear, an excellent homebrew book and enough ingredients to do my first batch of pale ale.

Talking to them really speeded up the process. They took me right past beginners "kits" into specialty malts and whole grains. Those produce a much better beer than cheapo kits which rely on corn sugar in place of more expensive malts. I recommend other start the same way. On your own you'll probably produce some vinegar and taking classes is overkill. Getting taught by other homebrewers will be quick and painless and trading knowledge is half the fun. Homebrewers are beer lovers, they'll be happy to give you samples of their favorite brews and will want to try out yours too. Find a local store, go in and pick their brains.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I got started by reading a couple of books and visiting a home brewing store.

It's not that complex to learn and it was a fun hobby (I stopped doing it a while back). Sterilizing everything is critical.

Rias

Aug 23, 2002
A friend got me interested and helped me make the first batch. My wife has regretted it ever since! :beer: :D

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I got started back in college with friends. We started with easy recipes and before long we were using more advanced techniques. I still brew, but have been more into winemaking since taking a short class at our local brewshop several years ago.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
What's the initial setup cost involved?

Not much. You can get all the specialty equipment like fermenting bucket, carboy, capper, fermentation lock, siphon, hydrometer, a kettle, decent instruction book and all the ingredients for your first batch for around $100.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
We were 15 in high school without a way to buy booze...so we brewed our own...

The funny thing was the beer we brewed was horrible but we threw some wildass parties with homebrew...we didn't have bottles so we'd start putting it in 2 liter bottles, one time we mixed pixie sticks in thinking maybe it'll taste like pixie sticks. Good times good times...

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Kind of a general question, but is it cheaper to brew your own?

Good beer definitely. You can create something akin to the more expensive imports or microbrews for less than half the price. If you're hoping to cut the cost of Budweiser, Pabst or other commercial crap, likely not. It's not really about price though, it's about concocting something unique. It's fun to take a brew like Guiness Stout and think "Gee, this would be perfect if it..." and then create a beer that improves on it, at least to your tastebuds.

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
What are some good beer forums? I have been kicking this idea around for awhile now and the wife is interested as well

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
this is a good thread...time to bookmark it and come back in a few days :)

-=bmacd=-