Home association keeps bugging me.... what should i do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Does ANYONE like being in a HOA? I seriously wish they all would just go away.

Some people get off on walking through their neighborhood and seeing every house adhering to a strict set of standards, so everything is like a model neighborhood set up by a person with OCD.

ilovecolombia

Banned
Oct 12, 2007
Originally posted by: mayonnaise
Originally posted by: ilovecolombia
Reality. Heres reality. This is a map of the house you sold me. Heres the things I added on to it. As you can see with all that other shit you call landscaping I installed remote detonated mines in a 5 foot away from each other in all directions in the lawn. A laser perimeter sets of a alarm in my house where I have 20 pounds of bullets and several automatic rifles. Cameras cover the whole area. The doorknob of the house is charged with a lethal amount of electricity when the laser alarm is tripped.

Have fun trying to do anything. If by some chance you make it in the house it is laced up to implode on itself. I have built a tunnel leading out of it to a remote location half a mile away. Have fun.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... :roll:

I could easily do all that for 2 or 3 k

HyTekJosh

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001

I do because we get access to a large lake and various beaches. Deeded into the title.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Yeah thats like one years of HOA dues. Seems like a much better use of the money :)

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Reality. Heres reality. This is a map of the house you sold me. Heres the things I added on to it. As you can see with all that other shit you call landscaping I installed remote detonated mines in a 5 foot away from each other in all directions in the lawn. A laser perimeter sets of a alarm in my house where I have 20 pounds of bullets and several automatic rifles. Cameras cover the whole area. The doorknob of the house is charged with a lethal amount of electricity when the laser alarm is tripped.

Have fun trying to do anything. If by some chance you make it in the house it is laced up to implode on itself. I have built a tunnel leading out of it to a remote location half a mile away. Have fun.

They don't have to go inside to sue you.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Not legally

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

:thumbsup:

I agree. Home is sacred, and absolute. It is worth defending by any means necessary. When enough idiots are killed because they think they can run other peoples lives the madness will finally end.

Between this thread and others, I think you win the award for passive-aggressive forum nutjob. Here's a :cookie:

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
How the fuck is that even legal. You brought the house. You paid money. You have the fucking right to do anything with it..

If you buy a house in a neighborhood that has a HOA, you have to join the HOA and abide by their laws. The HOA is usually set up by the developer.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006

i like it
i don't mow, i don't shovel snow, i don't stain the deck, i don't wash the windows
i don't fix the mailbox when my drunk neighbor keeps backing over it
i don't fix the sidewalk when tree roots turned into an obstacle course

mine is more of a condo association though

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: HyTekJosh

I do because we get access to a large lake and various beaches. Deeded into the title.

Same. The one I grew up in just collected the fees to maintain the public parts of the property; the lake, roads, beaches, and grass and you could do whatever you wanted to your own property.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
live by the sword, die by the sword.

Write a letter, sending it by mail and fax. Keep copies for your self. Heck, send it certified mail to have proof you sent it.

Don't call b/c the only proof you have of communication is he said/she said, or any variation thereof.

Jun 27, 2005

Welcome back PAB. :roll:

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: needalife
So guys... should i call or write a letter?

Did your lawn get long the second time too? Your OP sounds like you were keeping it up. I'd call them to see what's going on. It's not like it's so long a small child would get lost in it or anything.

Next option... find out who these people are and when they meet. Go to every meeting. The next time there is an election of HOA officers, run for a position.

*Raises Hand* "Yes, I'd like to run for the position of lawn nazi."

Of course that is all part of their evil plan since they don't really want to be in those positions anymore... but at least the idiotic letters will stop.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

:thumbsup:

I agree. Home is sacred, and absolute. It is worth defending by any means necessary. When enough idiots are killed because they think they can run other peoples lives the madness will finally end.

Between this thread and others, I think you win the award for passive-aggressive forum nutjob. Here's a :cookie:

SWEET!!! Just set it down on the lawn and slowly back away. *shifty eyes*

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Why on earth do people buy houses with an HOA covering them? That was a major requirement when the fiancee and I were shopping.. the house absolutely could not have an HOA.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Do what xeemzor said. Make sure you are in compliance. Send written communication and keep a record.

You can also call, but any call should be in addition to writing and not instead of writing. Written records are key as you are being threatened and may have to fight. The letter you received sets out a reply period and if you just call there's no proof you replied.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Jumpem
Why on earth do people buy houses with an HOA covering them? That was a major requirement when the fiancee and I were shopping.. the house absolutely could not have an HOA.

I agree, it was for us as well. But as I understand, some areas of the country are so infected with this blight that there just plain aren't any homes available without them.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
HOAs, ARGH!!! I f'in hate them. We walked out on a house deal because the house was in an HOA. My wife is a decorator, if she wants shutters on the windows, she'll have shutters on the windows and she's NOT going to ask some anal old farts for permission, especially when she's the one mailing in the mortgage payments every month.

When I worked at Jefferson Lab, one of my coworkers was deeply involved in his HOA, as a matter of fact he was the VP. He loved it. He loved his perfect townhome community. And then they built some section 8 housing right next to his community. Oh I ragged on him as his property values fell and he couldn't sell his property as it was in a HOA plagued by elderly, nosy busybodies. :D

OP, send a certified letter stating that your lawn is in compliance and that you would like the harassment to stop.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I hate HOAs but it's almost impossible to buy a newish home that doesn't have one. I think it's ridiculous that I would have to submit an architectural change request if I want to plant new plants in the front of my townhouse.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

A half mile tunnel eh? Easy? Especially assuming no heavy equipment because of your price range. I guess your going to use the old shovel and bucket technique. Have fun with that.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
My father lives in a development like that. I hate looking for his townhouse because every townhouse is identical. The last time I was down there, "Hey! I just noticed that all the homes aren't perfectly identical. There are two different types of lights on the garages." To which the response was "they will be. A few of the lights broke or went bad, and they no longer make that style. Everyone in the subdivision has 120 days to go to Lowes and buy the exact same model and have theirs replaced with the new style of light. Otherwise, they'll be fined."

Personally, I'd have a hard time dealing with such an anal retentive association.

In your situation, I'd respond with a polite letter stating that they are mistaken and that your lawn is in compliance with their rules, and that they should remove any records to the effect that you are out of compliance. I'd also point out "my rules are that I only ask politely once." After that, I'd go through my agreement with a fine-toothed comb, looking for any loopholes to drive them nuts. "Ahhh, it says I have to keep my lawn raked. It doesn't say I have to remove the pile of leaves." Heck, I'd import them for the kids to play in if I found such a loophole.