Holy wireless interference batman!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
So what's the number one cause of any wireless trouble (besides mismatched encryption)?

Interference. Other devices operating on the same frequency as your wireless.

Was called out to a new large wireless installation. Some clients just had a heck of a time communicating. All things pointed to interference/layer1 problem.

Well what do you know! Some strange device is operating in the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. Fire up the analyzer...it isn't WiFi - It's something else. And it's using 100% of all the frequencies in the entire 2.4 spectrum. WTF could it be?

A tiny wireless device with an omnidirectional antenna used to send video, raping all the channels and bandwidth. Who knew? Who woulda thought? How would you EVER find it?

I normally farm out site survey stuff to others, but this thing nailed it, identified it, and found it. I'm convinced, it's as necessary of a tool as a cable certifier...maybe more so.

cmetz

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2001
spidey07, this is why I'm liking 802.11A for many installations - the band is quieter.

Cordless phones are also often naughty on the 2.4GHz ISM band.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: cmetz
spidey07, this is why I'm liking 802.11A for many installations - the band is quieter.

Quieter is an understatement. You fire up the analyzer and see that 802.11a is dead quiet, with much more channels to boot. Business wise I'm seeing a lot of rapid movement to it, just depends on what clients you have.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: cmetz

Quieter is an understatement. You fire up the analyzer and see that 802.11a is dead quiet, with much more channels to boot. Business wise I'm seeing a lot of rapid movement to it, just depends on what clients you have.

We have one 2.4ghz access point in our service area, and on the same place we have a 900mhz AP.

Ive worked for this company for 6 months now, and have installed *one* 2.4SM, because it was a leftover radio we had that we wanted to use, and the customer is literally under 300 yards from the AP.

I havent had an opportunity to run the Canopy with its spectrum analyzer in the area myself (and only have had a chance once or twice in a couple other service areas). My boss tells me, however, that he doesnt intend to order any more of them because interference is getting so bad and is causing us problems. He cites Wild Blue in particular as a problem, iirc.

The new APs weve put up are either 900mhz or 5.7ghz. We have a some 5.2 APs but most of them are coupled with a 900 because the 5.2s dont get the range as well as our other equipment; they dont plan to add any more of them, and only use them because the guy who started the company used them.

What is the tool youve been using?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
xsaruonx,

It's just the fluke software and wireless card spectrum analyzer. It only costs a few thousand bucks. Pennies really in what it can do.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
xsaruonx,

It's just the fluke software and wireless card spectrum analyzer. It only costs a few thousand bucks. Pennies really in what it can do.

you and your fancy tools get discouraging ;)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: xSauronx
xsaruonx,

What is the cost to roll a truck? What is the depreciation on 5K over 3 years? I'm not bragging about fancy tools, I'm trying to help anybody reading this to operate a less costly network. :)

It pays for itself within a year. Call it "cost avoidance". But cost avoidance can be a hard sell but if you put the numbers down it works. You can sell it - spend money to make money.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: xSauronx
xsaruonx,

You can sell it - spend money to make money.

Youd think so, wouldnt you? But some of the people I work for dont seem to grasp the concept so well. Ive suggested a number of *minor* and *cheap* fixes, things that would certainly seem like common sense and easily save money or create new sales opportunities, and Im getting nowhere.

But thats its own thread.