Holy Poop

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Deeko
Not bad.

I miss my college network. I occasionally saw download speeds of 7MB/sec, no exaggeration.

lol we were lucky to see a 1/10th of that in college

I've seen those 7 MB/sec downloads. My laptop HD was basically working hard and I couldn't do much more while it downloaded... DAMN.

1/10th of that? Wow. I can find wireless networks that will give me ~1.5 MB/sec but the best way to go is still wired wheny ou want something quick from the university network.

I just got 25mbps down on speedtest.net. Powerboost FTW. This means nothing when I max out around 780 KB/sec sustained speeds.

my school caped all downloads around 450k/s and all uploads around 110k/s

my cable connection at home had a faster downspeed
was the network capable of much more YEP, could we use it NOPE
wa sit my fault it got all locked down, YOU BET

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Originally posted by: spidey07

I don't think you've been following what comcast is doing. They're rolling out docsis 3.0 and will have 20% of their subscribers upgraded before the end of this year. So they have 25 Mbs and even higher available.

Docsis 1 is already 40mbps and we don't see that. Is it due to sharing of 1 cable line from your "area"? I don't know how CATV is wired after it leaves my house. I wonder if it hits the street it hits fibre/bundle/whatever?

So I guess my questions is Docsis 3 will translate into home users getting?? 25-80mbps personal pipes before the next thing? FIOS I believe has a 120mb current hardware limit? Is that right?

Originally posted by: Anubis

wa sit my fault it got all locked down, YOU BET
Why Anubis? Illegal hosting?

Kabrinski

Oct 21, 2002
Work speeds at speakeasy.net

I love downloading stuff here.

At home I have crappy 4mb down, good enough, but I want better.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Originally posted by: dman
Originally posted by: BigJ
It's called PowerBoost. It only applies to smaller amounts of data.

QFT.

Not QFT.

Powerboost is up to 12 Mbps.

"Blast" is up to 16 Mbps.

Comcast doesn't have any services that offer 25 Mbps at this time.

Either OP is on crack or Comcast has made a temporary error in bandwidth throttling.

Uh no.

PowerBoost speeds up small file downloads, under 10MB. It is absolutely, 100% not a tier.

EDIT Again:

I was right. PowerBoost and Blast are not the same. Blast is a tier and allows for whats listed as 16mb/s. People are still reporting speeds of over that on file transfers and speed tests.

http://www.dslreports.com/foru...ea-Not-PowerBoost-Pt-2

If you go to the end of that thread, you'll see a bunch of people with speed tests in the 18,000-24,000kb level.