Holy,,just paid 311.33$ for tax to pick up laptop

khunkami

Jan 9, 2005
bought a laptop yesterday via Ebay. They shipped it via UPS to Canada.
Thing is i just paid 311.33$ for tax something.
It cost that much?
i dont get it.
they didnt even notice me. If i knew i didnt buy it : (

well, tax suks

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Sorry to hear it was so much.

The canadian import taxes are not new news though.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
duty fees, brokerage.. massive waste of $.
your typical money grab scam, the company should be shot for that crap...

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Called Import Tax, you pay GST/PST like everything else on the declared value. UPS requires a declared value to insure things now, if the guy claimed it was worth $800, you likely would pay something like $200 on it, which includes GST/PST plus a fee from UPS for like $40+ for being a custom's agent. I sent my wife a computer last Christmas, put down $800 as the value, she had to pay about $200 in fees.

khunkami

Jan 9, 2005
the company said they are responsible for that.
man;;

bytheway, the moneygram crab scam, I told the guy f**k off!

Instan00dles

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2001
never, ever get anything shipped to canada from the states with UPS! either usps or fedex, ups has some outgrageous brokerage fees

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Instan00dles
never, ever get anything shipped to canada from the states with UPS! either usps or fedex, ups has some outgrageous brokerage fees

You still have to declare a value on the item(s) shipped, and it needs to be the correct value if you want to insure it for the proper amount.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Sundog

You still have to declare a value on the item(s) shipped, and it needs to be the correct value if you want to insure it for the proper amount.

Exactly. UPS got hit with the same thing companies like Radioshack and BB did. They're not licensed and bonded insurance companies, so they can't offer or talk about "insurance" for products. In Radioshack's case, they couldn't offer Verizon's monthly insurance plan. In UPS' case, they couldn't offer shipping insurance anymore. Now, they just ask what the declared value is, calculate it by a percentage, and add that onto the shipping cost as an extra fee.

If you ship to Canada from the US, and don't care about making a claim later on because you trust it'll get there (or like gambling), just declare it for under $50. I send up packages all the time, mark them as gifts (mostly because they are), and mark the values real low, and nobody gets charged.

Instan00dles

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2001

Yes I know but UPS has its own brokerage fees depending on the declared value of the package, fedex is lower and I believe usps is a flate rate of 5 dollars. Of course there is your tax on top of that.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Sphexi
If you ship to Canada from the US, and don't care about making a claim later on because you trust it'll get there (or like gambling), just declare it for under $50. I send up packages all the time, mark them as gifts (mostly because they are), and mark the values real low, and nobody gets charged.

Not always the case though. I have had packages opened up and the declared value changed (by customs) because they thought the declared value was too low.

khunkami

Jan 9, 2005
this company doesnt under stand that they should write down "gift" on the package.
now i paid 1900$ for new laptop.
sigh...
thought I paid lower than normal price, so i was kinda happy : (

Damn UPS!

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Sphexi

Not always the case though. I have had packages opened up and the declared value changed (by customs) because they thought the declared value was too low.

Like I said, if you like gambling. I've never had them do that, but obviously if you ship up a computer, in the box that the case originally came in, and declare it for $5, they MAY be a bit suspicious. Just claim it's a computer case, declare it for $100, and worst comes to worst the person has to pay about $20 or so in duty.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: khunkami
this company doesnt under stand that they should write down "gift" on the package.
sigh...

Damn UPS!

You would be asking a company to commit fraud at that point. It is not their fault.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Agree, I've learned the hard way not to use UPS.. USPS is better than Fedex still, for Brokerage. Fedex is great otherwise. But when using international shipping between US and Canada, never not use USPS!

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They should have at least included a complimentary jug of KY jelly with that deal!

Ausm

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
owned by customs. why didn't you tell your seller ship it via usps marked as gift?

OWNED

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: khunkami
sigh...

Damn UPS!

Writing down 'gift' only applies to things that are $50 or less. Writing 'gift' on anything above that means SQUAT.

trinketsummoner

Aug 24, 2004
Sending an item marked as a gift when it isnt would be fraud. You'd pay taxes if you had bought it in Canada too and you said you still saved money so whats the problem? Imagine they had sent it insured for $50 as a gift and it was lost or damaged, id imagine you would be pretty annoyed at that too?