Holy! Did that guy ever get popped!

kstu

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
Originally posted by: bctbct
I dont watch hockey, why dont the refs stop before the punches?

because its part of the game

edit: oh yeah, great fight too. i love it when the fighters just throw, instead of all the dancing around that they do nowadays.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
When did hockey become like wrestling. All staged, that is. That punch was not hard enough to knock him out, it was part of the act.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Baloo
When did hockey become like wrestling. All staged, that is. That punch was not hard enough to knock him out, it was part of the act.

it was definitely hard enough

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah..that blood sure looked fake to me.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004

You... you ever seen a real fight? Getting hit just right can knock you out just as well as taking some massive shot straight out of Hollywood.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: amdhunter
How does fighting play into the game?

It doesn't, it's the ONLY thing that is keeping hockey alive as a sport in the USA :). I'd almost lay money down that if you polled all adults in America and asked them to name one thing they liked best about hocky, 98% of them would say the fights. That's simply sad.

EDIT: I just watched the video....why do the announcers keep saying he was "knocked out cold"? He got right back up after 5 seconds after he came to his senses. Being knocked out cold means he went to the ground and stayed there for a considerable time without moving.

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
<--- would say the penalty shot. Then giant open ice hits, then fights. (which aren't as prolific as they were pre-lockout)

Anyway... go eagles!

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: blurredvision
Originally posted by: amdhunter
How does fighting play into the game?

It doesn't, it's the ONLY thing that is keeping hockey alive as a sport in the USA :). I'd almost lay money down that if you polled all adults in America and asked them to name one thing they liked best about hocky, 98% of them would say the fights. That's simply sad.

EDIT: I just watched the video....why do the announcers keep saying he was "knocked out cold"? He got right back up after 5 seconds after he came to his senses. Being knocked out cold means he went to the ground and stayed there for a considerable time without moving.

The best part of hockey is clearly the fact that it is one continuous fast break. It just doesn't hardly ever stop. Substituting players on the fly, etc. It is absolutely incredible that any of the players have the wherewithal to do anything resembling set plays, yet they all do.

Amazing sport.

ZV

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
Non-hockey fans seem to have this conception that there are hockey games are full of fist fighting. Really though, the Anaheim Ducks (currently the league leaders in # of fights this year) are averaging less than one a game. It's not an everyday thing, and usually occurs after both player agree to go at it for whatever reason (which is usually to fire up the team/fans).