holy crapping farking crap . . . bit over 100 times by fire ants

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
I climbed up on a small hill to take pictures of my wife from a differen perspective. As I shot the photos, I noticed some itching on my foot - and ignored it thinking it was burrs. Any photographers here knows how easy it is to get caught up in the lens.

I start feeling the itching then severe burning up my leg near my knee and on my back. I'm in the middle of a farm field (in middle of nowhere). I look down and realize I'm being swarmed by fire ants. My shoes had hundreds on them.

I took the pants off (I had on biking shorts from a ride earlier). The biking shorts fit tight enough to keep the things away from my crotch (thank god).

My wife helped me get them all off (getting stung 10-15 times herself), and I drove home quickly for a shower - to make sure they were all off. The odd ant bit me over and over on the drive home.

I've got bites in my hairline, in my goatee, back of my neck, both arms and hands, a few managed to get under my bike shorts, and literally many dozens on my left leg, fewer on my right.

Right now I'm having severe itching - I want to claw my body. I've taken 2 benadryl.

So much for the perfect photo.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: episodic
Originally posted by: RichardE
Pics?

The wife or the bites?

The bites don't look like much. I doubt I could get a good picture now.

They are tiny raised red bumps. I'll take a photo tommorow when they turn to pustules.

Oct 20, 2005
Here's a tip for the future if you ever get bit again...once you notice that you have been bit, immediately rub some soap on the bite. This will help prevent the bite from becoming "full blown" and helps heal it faster. It also helps the itch as well, though you may still feel itchy, it will be less severe.

Now I know in your case it was not possible since you were far from home, but next time this might help you out.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Ok, things are getting worse. My face is bright red. The insides of my ears are swelling. It feels funny to smile. I'm bright red. My face is numb.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Ok, things are getting worse. My face is bright red. The insides of my ears are swelling. It feels funny to smile. I'm bright red.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to see a doctor.

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Xanis
Ok, things are getting worse. My face is bright red. The insides of my ears are swelling. It feels funny to smile. I'm bright red.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004

I took two more benadryl. Sheesh, the last thing I need now is 1000$ bill for a shot of benadryl.

I'm not wheezing. If I wheeze, I'll go.
Now the bites are showing up good. I'll do some photos can't promise an upload tonight.

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004

i agree

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by: sonoma1993

i agree

just to be contrary, I DISAGREE!