Holy Crap my ISP must like me

jediphx

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2000
my Internet provider must have upgraded my speed. I just ran a test and got download speed of 24729 kbps and upload of 561 kbps. Im only paying for 12 mbit cable internet

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: jediphx
my Internet provider must have upgraded my speed. I just ran a test and got download speed of 24729 kbps and upload of 561 kbps. Im only paying for 12 mbit cable internet

Comcast?

They have something called speedboost. Allows you download faster for short amounts of time.

Beat to the punch......

jediphx

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2000
im on Cox Communications in Louisiana. So the speed test is not indicative of download speeds over a long period of time is what your saying?

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Cox and time warner have the speedboost too, althugh they market it with different names.

My time warner 5 mpbs service can hit 8 with the boost feature.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
Cox and time warner have the speedboost too, althugh they market it with different names.

My time warner service is 10Mbps/1Mbps SUSTAINED... beyotch! :)

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999

If memory serves, we call it power boost in the Cox network.

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
i just got cox, and it does not seem that fast. my speed test show me getting the bandwidth i should be getting, but i download large items like say zune software, it slows and does not use even half the speed i should be getting.

oh well, if i want fast downloads i can borrow my neighbors wireless. i guess i might need to upgrade my router or my cable service :(

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Try downloading a big file from a fast server. See if you can sustain those speeds. Usually these companies do their speedboost things which makes loading a single webpage or something really fast, but a big file will jump back down to your regular speed.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: RedCOMET
i just got cox, and it does not seem that fast. my speed test show me getting the bandwidth i should be getting, but i download large items like say zune software, it slows and does not use even half the speed i should be getting.

oh well, if i want fast downloads i can borrow my neighbors wireless. i guess i might need to upgrade my router or my cable service :(

Good chance that your neighbor is on the same pipe.
Leaching may not be any faster unless you have multiple downloads active at the same time.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD

My time warner service is 10Mbps/1Mbps SUSTAINED... beyotch! :)

not something to really be proud of. Speedburst gives you insane speeds for the first 10 megabytes. makes itunes/amazon songs download in 2~3 seconds.

Cruisin1

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Leros
Try downloading a big file from a fast server. See if you can sustain those speeds. Usually these companies do their speedboost things which makes loading a single webpage or something really fast, but a big file will jump back down to your regular speed.

Actually it's the oppositte of what you say. Cox's power boost kicks in when you are downloading large files.

"Cable modem technology that gives you a boost of speed for video, photos, music and any large file access "