holy crap bob saget died

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I remember watching AFV back when I was a kid, it was practically a family thing, we'd typically watch it together and laugh. He'd sometimes have silly entrances like jumping over the couch and stuff when the show starts. It practically was that era's version of Youtube fail videos.

yep, AFV was a not-to-be-missed event in my house for years. sunday evening had to be kept free to watch bob and his videos.

Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I really don't think the world has been fractionalized with the advent of video social media, short commercials, and ultra-fast movie editing (12 seconds in the 30's down to like 2.5 seconds for average shot length today), as much as realizing & accepting the facts that:

1. There's always been broad & hyper-specialized sub-groups within target demographics
2. People have short attention spans

It's really more about the Internet bringing media & content in-line with existing groups & abilities. I'm hopelessly addicted to TikTok right now because 60-second videos are my JAM lol!
It seems like most of the time I see a TikTok, it's just some text overlaid on a video of someone dancing to music, or text overlaid with someone lip syncing to something else, or... well, the short version is, TikTok is 98% not for me :D Occasionally I see an entertaining one, but even then it's typically something that could have just been a GIF.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
RIP.

I remember watching AFV back when I was a kid, it was practically a family thing, we'd typically watch it together and laugh. He'd sometimes have silly entrances like jumping over the couch and stuff when the show starts. It practically was that era's version of Youtube fail videos.

Found a random clip with the intro I remember.

That intro though... nostalgic.
Theme song singer is Jill Colucci. Ah yes, those Italians sure have a thing for music, and not just the Pavorattis, but the Bon Jovis and Steven Tylers.

If you watch television, go to the movies or listen to the radio you already know Jill Colucci. Her first exposure to the music business came when most kids are still clutching crayola's - - - at age five. Her musical aptitude was apparent at a young age as she sang along with the family's Brenda Lee albums. She and her brother had an act where he played the accordion and she sang. By age seven, Jill was a winner of the televised talent competition on the Gene Carroll Show (Cleveland, Ohio), and became a regular entertainer on the program for the following ten years. She formed her own band after graduating from high school, touring for two years as drummer and lead vocalist. Jill eventually moved to California where success was quick to follow, as she earned work as a vocalist, and developed her songwriting.

Her slightly raspy singing voice has been a fixture on television. For three years running she sang ABC's network theme. She sang "Celebrate Me Home" for the Disney Channel's commercials. She was songwriter and vocalist for the "America's Funniest Home Videos" show. Other commercial credits include Coors Beer, Glidden Paint, Oldsmobile, Taco Bell, McDonald's, Chevrolet, Coca-Cola and Toyota's "I Love What You Do For Me" campaign plus many more.

Jill has been lead vocalist for numerous feature films including Mystic Pizza, Where The Boys Are, Taps, All The Right Moves and White Water Summer. She wrote the song "Paradise", which was featured in White Water Summer and Little Nikita.

Her vocals are featured on albums by artists such as Donna Summer, Julio Iglesias, Anne Murray, Laura Branigan and Phoebe Snow. Jill can also be heard on television shows such as "Miami Vice", "Designing Women", "Santa Barbara", "Spencer For Hire" and numerous "Movies Of The Week."
Jill made her mark on Country Radio with hit songs such as 1993 Billboard Song of the Year "No One Else On Earth" (Wynonna Judd), ASCAP #1 Award and CMA #1 Award winning songs "I'm Gonna Be Somebody" and "Anymore" by Travis Tritt. Jill has cuts on gold albums from Anne Murray and Gloria Loring. Jill, who has been a singer/songwriter all of her life, has now released her own cd, "No Regrets", featuring her hit compositions "No One Else On Earth", "Anymore" and "He Would Be Sixteen". With these impressive credentials behind her, Jill Colucci is a genuine "hyphenate": singer-songwriter-artist.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
America's Funniest Home Videos was rarely funny and more often cringy. Even back in the early 90s.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should have their very existence in this world questioned.

Some of the videos were funny provided you removed the stick from your rear-end before sitting down to watch!

;)

dwight1.jpg

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
It seems like most of the time I see a TikTok, it's just some text overlaid on a video of someone dancing to music, or text overlaid with someone lip syncing to something else, or... well, the short version is, TikTok is 98% not for me :D Occasionally I see an entertaining one, but even then it's typically something that could have just been a GIF.

Tiktok genuinely makes me feel like the internet was a bad idea.

I avoided TikTok for a long time, but once I got into it, I love it! It's sort of like how reddit is split into millions of subreddits, except for 60 second to 3-minute videos. I follow a TON of people who do cooking, 3D printing, etc. because the videos are all pretty neat & straight to the point! I've learned a lot of neat little tips & tricks, like this one for how to make perfectly circular cookies:

I also like the quick comedy stuff:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
While I did enjoy AFV I watched a stand up comedy special of his and couldn't bring myself to watch 10 minutes. I'm not sure if he was pissed at the audience, pissed about having to do the special or just being patronizing. I never thought I would be turned off by a stand up comic using too many cuss words but he definitely ticked that box and I've watched a lot of comedy in my life.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
RIP Bob
rose.gif