holy crap bob saget died

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I remember him from way back from America's Funniest Home Video, so I was just a kid since his time as host ended in 1997.

Reactions: Captante

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Man, AFV was Youtube before Youtube existed:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Man, AFV was Youtube before Youtube existed:

Back in the day, content creation was sure lopsided in terms of who and what could make it on TV. The advent of the server as the storage and dissemination medium for video would only be ten years away. Millenials like me might be the last generation to experience such an "analog" world.

Like with many great things, Youtube's creation story....is based on fertility and sex.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
America's Funniest Home Videos was rarely funny and more often cringy. Even back in the early 90s.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should have their very existence in this world questioned.

• Haha

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
America's Funniest Home Videos was rarely funny and more often cringy. Even back in the early 90s.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should have their very existence in this world questioned.

AFV is the OG narrated Youtube & Twitch videos: someone else watching the video & providing commentary lol.

SOME of the videos were funny! Usually the ones that took home 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes were pretty decent. My family was always split on who should win every week tho haha.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Back in the day, content creation was sure lopsided in terms of who and what could make it on TV. The advent of the server as the storage and dissemination medium for video would only be ten years away. Millenials like me might be the last generation to experience such an "analog" world.

I really don't think the world has been fractionalized with the advent of video social media, short commercials, and ultra-fast movie editing (12 seconds in the 30's down to like 2.5 seconds for average shot length today), as much as realizing & accepting the facts that:

1. There's always been broad & hyper-specialized sub-groups within target demographics
2. People have short attention spans

It's really more about the Internet bringing media & content in-line with existing groups & abilities. I'm hopelessly addicted to TikTok right now because 60-second videos are my JAM lol!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
RIP.

I remember watching AFV back when I was a kid, it was practically a family thing, we'd typically watch it together and laugh. He'd sometimes have silly entrances like jumping over the couch and stuff when the show starts. It practically was that era's version of Youtube fail videos.

Found a random clip with the intro I remember.

That intro though... nostalgic.