Holy Cr@p! 2008 BMW M3 Debuts in the UK...for OVER $100K

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
MUNICH, Germany ? BMW's hot new M3 coupe will carry a sticker of £50,625 ? or approximately U.S. $101,265 ? when it arrives in British showrooms in September. The car is slated to reach U.S. dealers later as a 2008 model.

In comparison, the 2007 M5 sedan carries a U.S. sticker of $83,195.

The Euro-spec M3 coupe features a DOHC 4.0-liter V8 delivering 420 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. Mated to a six-speed manual gearbox, the M3 coupe sprints from zero to 60 mph in less than 4.8 seconds.

The roof of the M3 coupe is made of carbon-reinforced plastic to help keep weight down. BMW says the only pieces carried over from the regular 3 Series coupe are the doors, deck lid, windows, headlamps and rear lights.

Of course, the car has all the usual M-squad suspension and steering mods.

U.S. prices will be announced closer to the car's launch in the States.

What this means to you: A breathtaking car at a breathtaking price, at least in the U.K.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=120550

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Calm down, UK cars always cost about twice of what the same car costs in America.

A 3 series in UK is easily 60k USD.

GMI

Jun 6, 2005
you do realize the UK m5 is a cool £65k right? if I remember right, even their 330is are £30k

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: GMI
you do realize the UK m5 is a cool £65k right? if I remember right, even their 330is are £30k

Stop it. :p You're killing the gosh wow factor. :laugh:

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: yamadakun
The American dollar is weak, they will price it cheaper here.

It amazes me how few people realize this...Plus taxes are higher there.

toolboxolio

Jan 22, 2007
Just goes to show you how pathetcially desperate "europe" (lower-case for for lack of being a proper noun) is pathetically struggling to maintain their market.

Any "non-retard" knows that you can pwn any beamer on the road for a fraction of their asking price..... thanks to Japan.

Supra, RX-7, 300z was an indicator that to original honkies should have upped their game... but didn't.

Europe failed with performance cars. Asia pwns the whole market by a wide margin ATM.

100k for a car that looks crappier and performs worse than 4+ asian cars (personal opinion).... right. GG bmw. Way to pwn yourself even more.

EDIT: Man I suck at typing and grammar. Please pwn me on my grammar and not on my point.

Mar 11, 2004
Originally posted by: toolboxolio
Just goes to show you how pathetcially desperate "europe" (lower-case for for lack of being a proper noun) is pathetically struggling to maintain their market.

Any "non-retard" knows that you can pwn any beamer on the road for a fraction of their asking price..... thanks to Japan.

Supra, RX-7, 300z was an indicator that to original honkies should have upped their game... but didn't.

Europe failed with performance cars. Asia pwns the whole market by a wide margin ATM.

100k for a car that looks crappier and performs worse than 4+ asian cars (personal opinion).... right. GG bmw. Way to pwn yourself even more.

EDIT: Man I suck at typing and grammar. Please pwn me on my grammar and not on my point.

:confused:

Yeah, they can't make performance cars at all, nevermind all those Porsches and Ferraris, and countless others.

Not only that but you're comparing a modern car that is also a luxury car to 10 year old Japanese sports cars? You can get cars that will beat other cars for less money easily in pretty much every price level. Hey look, I can build a car faster than a Veyron for 1/4 the cost, that means it is absolutely better.

People don't buy BMW strictly for the performance or the luxury, its the whole package. I don't like BMWs myself, but I don't trash on them because I can get a better performing car for the same or less money. The M3 will end up priced close to the Z06 Vette, does that mean people shouldn't buy the M3 since the Vette will outperform it (and probably get better gas mileage to boot)?

How does Asia own the performance market? Let's see we've got the 350Z, and, what? Toyota doesn't have a sports car, and Honda only has the S2000. We'll get a Skyline before too long, but it'll be close to the M3. I guess there is the WRX and Evo, but they're econoboxes strapped to a decent powertrain, and so the latter is all they've really got going for them.

FYI, your grammar wasn't the weakest part, your point was.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000

hahha... I guess grammar and typo are least of your concerns.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
i wish BMW's were styled more aggressively. Even the m3/m5s are still shaped like their 330 sedans =\

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17

:confused:

Yeah, they can't make performance cars at all, nevermind all those Porsches and Ferraris, and countless others.

Not only that but you're comparing a modern car that is also a luxury car to 10 year old Japanese sports cars? You can get cars that will beat other cars for less money easily in pretty much every price level. Hey look, I can build a car faster than a Veyron for 1/4 the cost, that means it is absolutely better.

People don't buy BMW strictly for the performance or the luxury, its the whole package. I don't like BMWs myself, but I don't trash on them because I can get a better performing car for the same or less money. The M3 will end up priced close to the Z06 Vette, does that mean people shouldn't buy the M3 since the Vette will outperform it (and probably get better gas mileage to boot)?

How does Asia own the performance market? Let's see we've got the 350Z, and, what? Toyota doesn't have a sports car, and Honda only has the S2000. We'll get a Skyline before too long, but it'll be close to the M3. I guess there is the WRX and Evo, but they're econoboxes strapped to a decent powertrain, and so the latter is all they've really got going for them.

FYI, your grammar wasn't the weakest part, your point was.

I agree. People spend the extra for the ///M badge. It adds 100hp ;)

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17
...EDIT: Man I suck at typing and grammar. Please pwn me on my grammar and not on my point.

...FYI, your grammar wasn't the weakest part, your point was.

ROFL :thumbsup:

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
What amazes me is that in the UK that M3 costs more than the M5. Kind of backwards.

That's not right. IIRC the M5 goes for around £65k.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005

You're a fool.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Perhaps I misread the text in my OP then.

"In comparison, the 2007 M5 sedan carries a U.S. sticker of $83,195."

I thought that meant that the 2007 M5 carries a sticker [in the UK] of the USD equivalent of $83,195 or approx. £40K.

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: RichUK

You're a tool.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001

wow, talk about picking a proper AT handle. good job

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: ed21x
i wish BMW's were styled more aggressively. Even the m3/m5s are still shaped like their 330 sedans =\

That's one of the things that I like most about them