Hollywood Takes on Illegal Immigration ("Machete" movie)

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_UWRtNzeNc

Politicians in cowboy hats, illegals, action, violence and Mexicans.

Given development time, I doubt Rodriguez intended to jump into this specific immigration debate. Are conservatives going to be upset by this? Will this movie impact the debate? Will the debate impact the movie?

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
probably will just be another movie where people read into it WAY too much

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
oh boy, trejo stretches to combine his desparado, xxx, and dusk to dawn characters under the gentle hand of rr... i bet rr has them stop for a drink at the titty twister at some point...

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Race War!!!

Love the line, "we did not cross the border, the border crossed us!"

Over the top implied sex (no nudity) and violence, name actors, some very sexy and very stupid actresses, oh yeah, this one will draw the same audience that enjoyed "Zombieland." More grindhouse!

Be there or be square, amigo!

LOL!

Oct 30, 2004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_UWRtNzeNc

Politicians in cowboy hats, illegals, action, violence and Mexicans.

Given development time, I doubt Rodriguez intended to jump into this specific immigration debate. Are conservatives going to be upset by this? Will this movie impact the debate? Will the debate impact the movie?

Since it's made by Hollywood which is owned by wealthy people who are disconnected from the immigration problems the little people have to face, I'm sure that the message will be, "The only reason anyone would oppose immigration is because they are a racist xenophobe." I doubt it will contribute anything substantive to the debate. A remake of Soylent Green would contribute much more to the debate by introducing a new generation to the concept of carrying capacity, which means it won't happen because the message is politically incorrect.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Billy Jack II

Edit; I guess this must be Billy Jack IV. A little research shows that there was a movie released called 'Trial of Billy Jack" And another movie (never released, LOL) called "Billy Jack goes to Washington".

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Rodriguez and Tarantino have not impressed me with DeathProof, Hellride, Kill Bill, Planet Terror, Inglourius Basterds and other recent flicks.
I will not see this because it was made by the same man who put out the awesome Desperado. I will see it cuz I need some stupidity. If it has a pro-illegal message that would be perfect.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This isn't a political film.

Tarentino made a movie "Grindhouse" and there was a spoof trailer "Machete". People who saw it thought it was real and started asking when it was going to be released. It was a gag.

So Tarentino thought he'd make this for his fans.

I wouldn't read anything into it at all.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Yes, of course. Rodriguez wants the Mexicans to invade the US.

Anyone who takes this movie seriously and is offended should jump off a fucking bridge. It's practically a joke.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Yes, of course. Rodriguez wants the Mexicans to invade the US.

Anyone who takes this movie seriously and is offended should jump off a fucking bridge. It's practically a joke.

Some may take it as a joke, but I do think that the people making this movie derived from a joke trailer actually want to see the illegals fight back.

I don't think they REALLY want to see Mexico go to war against the U.S., I don't think they want to see the drug wars escalate in the southwest, I don't think they want to see the illegal laborers kill their employers, nor do they want the illegals to rape or seduce the American population at large.

But I do think they would cheer any of them that do so, so long as they specifically target "The Man," Republicans and conservatives. I don't think you have to look very hard to find quotes from most of the lead actors, directors or producers saying something like that in public over the past couple of weeks, never mind the anti-Bush/anti-Republican rhetoric these morons indulged in for the past six or seven years.

The problem for pregressives is, should our large illegal population actually take up arms against the U.S. and fight for their "rights," they aren't going to spend much time asking victims about the nuances of their political viewpoints. Just like they don't bother with such niceties when they do a home invasion or battle over drug turf today. Small battles are being fought all time and no Mara Salvatrucha or La EME or Texas Mafia cares if you are politically correct or not when they cap you for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
deathproof was great. You just need to go into it with no idea what you were watching.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
just so everyone knows the director has no say in how the trailer is cut. The distribution house is in control of that and they dont give 2 shits if they start a race war as long as you all see the fucking movie hahahaha.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

So said Freud, maybe, in smoking his twenty a day.

And a woman is only a woman, but a Cigar is a Smoke.

Most definitely said by Mr. Kipling.

Light me up another Cuba, and roll the opening credits!

:awe:

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Looks sad, i thought it was a joke. This is an actual feature length film?

yes - Its a take off the '70's "grindhouse" movies.

Movie is not to be taken seriously at all. Its Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez having too much fun and I'm guessing teh Weinstein Brothers bankrolled the film.

Gotta love Danny Trejo, Cheech, Don Johnson, Lindsey Lohan, Jessica Alba, Segal, and DeNiro.

Love the shot with the Lowriders on hydros and the homage to Zombie movies with the Machetes in the air.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

Movie is not to be taken seriously at all. Its Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez having too much fun and I'm guessing teh Weinstein Brothers bankrolled the film.

Gotta love Danny Trejo, Cheech, Don Johnson, Lindsey Lohan, Jessica Alba, Segal, and DeNiro.

Love the shot with the Lowriders on hydros and the homage to Zombie movies with the Machetes in the air.

does tarantino have anything to do with this movie besides the grindhouse trailer?

Looks like it was shot by the capital building in austin.

Hope it's good, unfortunately I think rodriguez can't edit his movies for shit.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

millions of people believed that obama was going to do everything he said he was going to do in his campaign...

never, ever, underestimate what a group of people can decide to believe if they are in that kind of mood...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Tarentino made a movie "Grindhouse" and there was a spoof trailer "Machete". People who saw it thought it was real and started asking when it was going to be released. It was a gag.

Yup. Looks badass, in a 70's kinda way.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

That grind house double length from Quintin was majorly over hyped and not worth a repeat watch. I hope this is not the same kind of thing.

Oct 30, 2004

Oh. If it's a Tarantino film then it will probably be good and might not have a politically correct message in it at all. (I thought it was being made by some ordinary conventional director.)