HOA Notice about Dogs Barking

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
My wife and I received a notice in the mail today stating a neighbor had complained about my dogs barking in the evening. We have a dog run in the back yard where both our dogs sleep at night, add to this that these very same dogs have been doing this for the past 2 years...every night (except when its too cold out, which is rare in Atlanta). One of our 2 dogs simply doesn't bark, so it was not her...the other one is half beagle, half rottweiler...so the beagle in him likes to bark every now and then.

We had remedied this via an anti-bark collar, which has worked wonders up until we noticed that his neck was quite irritated from wearing it so much. Within 30 minutes of removing it, he barked a few times...about 5 minutes after this, our neighbor comes and bangs on our door complaining of the noise (this is around 9pm or so). We moved him into our garage until his neck can heal, and then we plan on bringing him back out at night and only putting the collar on when it gets dark (around 8pm-ish).

A few issues I have:

1) The person that complained lives 3 doors down, not even our direct neighbors have so much as muttered a word to us about noise. We are on pleasant terms with both neighbors, so they wouldn't hesitate to mention the nuisance if it was there

2) One of my neighbors (who lives behind me, as i live on the corner of a culdesac) has 4 dogs, 3 Jack Russells, and 1 Dachshund...which bark non-stop during the day, and sometimes are left out until late night and continue barking until they are brought inside.

My wife actually went out and videotaped our dogs completely silent tonight, capturing the neighbors dogs barking. I am worried that our neighbors dogs are wearing the other neighbors patience thin, only to have our dog bark once or twice and get the blame for the majority of the barking. Being that I am on a culdesac it would be easy to confuse the 2 yards, as it would seem that all noise is coming from my yards general direction. Short of videotaping the times when our dogs are not making any noise, and catching the other neighbors dogs making a ton of it, are there any suggestions ? Its funny that the neighbor complaing is pretty famous for making alot of noise late at night on weekends, playing music in their garage and such until 2 or 3am in the morning...yet they complain about a dog barking at 9pm on a weeknight.

I would hate submitting a complaint against them, since it would seem very reactionary...and very defensive if I were a bystander to the situation.

Thoughts?

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
i think you should have a talk with your neighbor. maybe they would be interested in watching the video.

hopefully, it will shut him/her up.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We are on pleasant terms with both neighbors, so they wouldn't hesitate to mention the nuisance if it was there.

WRONG! Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants to have to listen to a damn dog's barking! My immediate nitwit neighbor had a dog that barked on occasion, but not too much. There were times when it barked more than is acceptable, but I wouldn't call the cops because I have to live next to this ditz. Who needs the added stress? Fortunately she's gone, but there's still another one two houses down that has a big beagle/hound. Idiot dog starts barking as soon as it's let out of the house. Stupid animal! I've been tempted to call, but haven't yet. So far, it doesn't seem worth causing trouble over, but the day may come...

The point is, your neighbor is just being nice to keep the peace.

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Ornery
We are on pleasant terms with both neighbors, so they wouldn't hesitate to mention the nuisance if it was there.

WRONG! Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants to have to listen to a damn dog's barking! My immediate nitwit neighbor had a dog that barked on occasion, but not too much. There were times when it barked more than is acceptable, but I wouldn't call the cops because I have to live next to this ditz. Who needs the added stress? Fortunately she's gone, but there's still another one two houses down that has a big beagle/hound. Idiot dog starts barking as soon as it's let out of the house. Stupid animal! I've been tempted to call, but haven't yet. So far, it doesn't seem worth causing trouble over, but the day may come...

We have asked both point blank if they are being too loud (one of these neighbors is the owner of the 4 dogs previously mentioned) and both said no. The other direct neighbor is a friend of ours who I KNOW would mention it to us, they are not simply "keeping the peace"
I am not sure if I stated clearly enough, our dog might bark 20-30 times in the span of an entire day, and its not the "I'm bored" type of barking to get attention, its usually when another dog walks by our yard and he can hear their leash make noise as they walk by.

Originally posted by: dcdude
you shouldnt lock your dog outside all day/night anyway

Why is this, please explain. I have heard people refer to "locking" a dog INSIDE, but not outside.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
It's pretty apparant that you don't have anything to worry about. Contact this neighbor and ask them if it was really a problem, and explain to them that your dog really isn't that much of a problem, and you have taken steps to stop this. If they feel like being dicks about it, then go talk to your HOA and show them the video, and get your other two neighbors to defend you.

Try to leave the one with all the dogs out of it though, sounds like you get along with them and there's no point in getting them in trouble just to say "Look they do it too!" type of thing.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
I'll come back to this thread later. I might be a little biased right now since I've been listening to a dog bark constantly for the last two hours.

I think I'll call the cops soon.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Ornery

I agree. We are moving becaue of all the uncouth neighbors and dogs here. People think their dogs are so cute and the dog is just protecting the property. From what? The old lady power walking down the side walk?
I was just trying to relax in the hot tub and I have dogs barking all around me. That was real relaxing. :roll:
When we move we will train our dogs to not bark and to kill any other dogs that come onto our property. Hopefully that will cut down on the noise.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Nomada

:roll: Nothing wrong with keeping dogs outside.

Don't you know the wolves and coyotes come in at night?
:roll:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

I agree. Why are the dogs locked outside allnight anyway?

And who let the dogs out?

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

I agree. Why are the dogs locked outside allnight anyway?

I don't understand the term "locked outside" They sleep in their doghouse outside, and we let them out of their run during to day to run around the yard, and play with our daughter etc. Should they be inside on the couch, or in a crate?

What is the negative impact to keeping your dogs outside.

For reference, here is a picture of where they sleep (the run in the back of the picture)

Dog Run

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Well its just a lot of people have outside dogs and the only time they see them is when they go outside and feed them. That kind of crap just gets on my nerves. Why even get a dog if thats all your going to do with it? And yes I think they should be inside sleeping on the couch. I am sure thats where mine are rightnow :).

BTW before somebody jumps me I am not saying your one of those people

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
My dogs sleep inside at night. If they do bark at night, the only reason they'd be outside is because someone let them out, but then they'd come back in within a couple minutes.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..what about installing one of those ultrasonic bark deterrent devices..ya mount them on a wall or fence. When the dog barks it detects and counters with a ultrasonic chirp that only they hear and..don't like to hear so they stop barking. I saw them in the Northern catalog.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BunLengthHotDog
My wife and I received a notice in the mail today stating a neighbor had complained about my dogs barking in the evening. We have a dog run in the back yard where both our dogs sleep at night, add to this that these very same dogs have been doing this for the past 2 years...every night (except when its too cold out, which is rare in Atlanta). One of our 2 dogs simply doesn't bark, so it was not her...the other one is half beagle, half rottweiler...so the beagle in him likes to bark every now and then.

We had remedied this via an anti-bark collar, which has worked wonders up until we noticed that his neck was quite irritated from wearing it so much. Within 30 minutes of removing it, he barked a few times...about 5 minutes after this, our neighbor comes and bangs on our door complaining of the noise (this is around 9pm or so). We moved him into our garage until his neck can heal, and then we plan on bringing him back out at night and only putting the collar on when it gets dark (around 8pm-ish).

A few issues I have:

1) The person that complained lives 3 doors down, not even our direct neighbors have so much as muttered a word to us about noise. We are on pleasant terms with both neighbors, so they wouldn't hesitate to mention the nuisance if it was there

2) One of my neighbors (who lives behind me, as i live on the corner of a culdesac) has 4 dogs, 3 Jack Russells, and 1 Dachshund...which bark non-stop during the day, and sometimes are left out until late night and continue barking until they are brought inside.

My wife actually went out and videotaped our dogs completely silent tonight, capturing the neighbors dogs barking. I am worried that our neighbors dogs are wearing the other neighbors patience thin, only to have our dog bark once or twice and get the blame for the majority of the barking. Being that I am on a culdesac it would be easy to confuse the 2 yards, as it would seem that all noise is coming from my yards general direction. Short of videotaping the times when our dogs are not making any noise, and catching the other neighbors dogs making a ton of it, are there any suggestions ? Its funny that the neighbor complaing is pretty famous for making alot of noise late at night on weekends, playing music in their garage and such until 2 or 3am in the morning...yet they complain about a dog barking at 9pm on a weeknight.

I would hate submitting a complaint against them, since it would seem very reactionary...and very defensive if I were a bystander to the situation.

Thoughts?

Looks and sounds like you're in the subdivision I used to live in.

Glad I am no longer there, good riddence.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Reminds me of some ass who decided it was time to do the weedwhacking at 7am on a Saturday. Or the guy who revs up his '67 Mustang every morning for at least ten minutes.

Your dogs are making the noise.. and you were foolish enough to join a HOA. Deal with it

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
I agree, it's your burden to deal wih your loud dogs. There's nothing more irritating than the arythmic, ear piercing, continuous barks from a dog. You love your dogs so it may be difficult for you to appreciate just how ungodly the noise is, but I find it one of the most annoying sounds on the planet.