Hmmmm...It Appears My GunSafe is Magnetic

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Rearranged the rumpus room tonite in order to clean the clutter created by the growing number of pc's in the room. After the move my trusty old 19" Mag was afflicted with some serious "uggghhhhh..." with the colors. Checked out the cables, connection, speakers, etc ; all to no avail. I then started to move it around on the desktop.

I had moved this particular pc desk over next to my 30cu ft capacity Liberty gunsafe. The safe is is what is screwing up the monitor image. WTF is up with that ? It's packed full of goodies but there aren't any depleted uranium rounds stored there to the best of my knowledge.

I moved everything around a bit more to solve the issue. Maybe I just don't understand the properties of large/heavy metal objects properly but I don't understand how an inert metal object can screw up a monitor 18" away from it. I do have a "Goldenrod" dehumidifier in the safe, but, unpluggingthat made no difference.

Perhaps its just the combination of birch, walnut, composites, brass, gunpowder and moldy smelling surplus slings and ammo pouches causing a disturbance in the force.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It could also be because of Earth's magnetic field - I saw something mentioning that if a monitor is facing the same direction for a long time, then is rotated, the field orientation relative to the monitor is different then. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it might be plausible.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Any iron-heavy object will become magnetized if it is never moved, because of the Earth's magnetic field lines always running the same way through it and lining up all the magnetic domains within it.

Surprising the field would get that strong though... does it at least compensate for it if you hit the degauss button while near the safe?
There wouldn't happen to be an unshielded electric motor in there, like a room fan?

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: glugglug
Any iron-heavy object will become magnetized if it is never moved, because of the Earth's magnetic field lines always running the same way through it and lining up all the magnetic domains within it.

Surprising the field would get that strong though... does it at least compensate for it if you hit the degauss button while near the safe?
There wouldn't happen to be an unshielded electric motor in there, like a room fan?

It laughs at degaussing and no motors. Just the dehumidifier in the safe which I did try unplugging to see if it was the culprit. The safe weighs around 850lbs so it hasn't ever been moved since the day we set it up. It must be setting in the middle of a magnetic field line if your first statement is the explanation to the cause.

Boobers

Jun 28, 2001
I find this very interesting. I have a 19" Mag monitor in my basement that shakes in the top left corner. Directly above the monitor (on the main floor of the house) is my refrigerator-sized gun safe. I wonder if this is causing the shake? I never thought of that. I'll try to move things around and see what happens...