Hmm.. winter snow + parking lot = fun :)

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Just went to pick up a few things at the grocery store, and when I got back in the car I saw that a large portion of the parking lot was empty and covered with snow. So.. I had a little bit of fun with the handbrake ;) What's really funny though is that I saw a 4x4 Jeep spinning around on itself in another corner of the parking lot and right after I left I saw some other dude doing donuts right where I had been.

Yeah.. winter's fun.. at first. The only problem is that it lasts too damn long!

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Heh. Donuts are fun. It's gonna take some practice though as my daily driver is now FWD instead of RWD.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah use to do that up at the snow parks ... right before going snowboarding and no one was there.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Hehe, that's the best way for a front wheel drive car to do donuts :D

Be careful though. That is wreckless operation if a cop sees you.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Tried it last winter in my girlfriend's car and forgot the damn thing has ABS and all the winter features, prevented me from having much fun. I really had to push it to get it to skid or donut...doh.

I'll try it once we get some snow in mine :D

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Heh. Donuts are fun. It's gonna take some practice though as my daily driver is now FWD instead of RWD.

With FWD though you can pull the handbrake and give it gas at the same time to slide sideways... Don't think you can do quite the same thing in RWD. ;)
I have to say though that AWD owns all when it comes to snow and ice :) I remember this video with a Subaru, an Altima and a Camaro...

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: edro13

Cops are hypocrites. Last winter I saw cops putting on their lights and then intentionally doing powerslides through intersections. After they turn their lights off and drive normally.:confused:

Speaking of cops I almost got killed by one just a few days ago. He came flying out of a side street going the wrong way down a one way street and right through a stop sign. I didn't have a stop. He was going at least 60mph. Okay, he had his lights on but no siren and you have to be a god damn retard to go that fast the wrong way down a one-way and right through a stop sign when the other guys don't have stops. If he had been there a few seconds later he would have smashed right into me... This just a week after getting hit by a van, so I was pretty pissed off by the disregard that cop showed for the people around him.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Ultima

Cops are hypocrites. Last winter I saw cops putting on their lights and then intentionally doing powerslides through intersections. After they turn their lights off and drive normally.:confused:

Academy drills? You can't learn everything on a closed course.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

No, they had been playing too much Project Gotham Racing. They figured they were getting Kudos.......:p

Damn, I play too many videogames.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999

And neither can I ;) ;)

That still doesn't excuse cops that pull the sh!t that I mentioned above (flying through stop signs at 60mph going the wrong way down a one-way street..)

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
I once did a donut in a 24' Freightliner FL-60 box truck. It was empty and so was the parking lot..........

Now THAT was a fun donut. :D

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: freakflag
I once did a donut in a 24' Freightliner FL-60 box truck. It was empty and so was the parking lot..........

Because it ended with the vehicle laying on it's side?

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: freakflag

Because it ended with the vehicle laying on it's side?

Lol....now THAT would have been awesome. :D

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Speaking of cops I almost got killed by one just a few days ago.
He came flying out of a side street going the wrong way down a one way street and right through a stop sign.
I didn't have a stop. He was going at least 60mph. Okay, he had his lights on but no siren and you have to be a god damn retard to go that fast the wrong way down a one-way and right through a stop sign when the other guys don't have stops. If he had been there a few seconds later he would have smashed right into me... This just a week after getting hit by a van, so I was pretty pissed off by the disregard that cop showed for the people around him.

Shenanigans...
The cop *COULDN'T* have gone through a stop sign if he was going the wrong way on a one way street... a stop sign wouldn't have existed.

Around here, a lot of people go to parking lots and send their cars into sideways skids... it's good to practice regaining control after a loss of control. I know a lot of parents who have their teens practice this before they let them drive the car in the winter. It's amazing how easy it is to regain control... I think a lot of accidents are caused by 2 things: 1. the person loses control, and 2. They react the wrong way making things worse.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Very fun, but my car never sees the snow. Only showers and drizzle. I had the hardest time making the rear end of my Lumina slide out in my church parking lot. It's nice, when wet it's almost like a slick.

EDIT: THAT'S WHY! I forgot to engage the parking brake. D'oh.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: DrPizza

Speaking of cops I almost got killed by one just a few days ago.
He came flying out of a side street going the wrong way down a one way street and right through a stop sign.
I didn't have a stop. He was going at least 60mph. Okay, he had his lights on but no siren and you have to be a god damn retard to go that fast the wrong way down a one-way and right through a stop sign when the other guys don't have stops. If he had been there a few seconds later he would have smashed right into me... This just a week after getting hit by a van, so I was pretty pissed off by the disregard that cop showed for the people around him.

Shenanigans...
The cop *COULDN'T* have gone through a stop sign if he was going the wrong way on a one way street... a stop sign wouldn't have existed.

Around here, a lot of people go to parking lots and send their cars into sideways skids... it's good to practice regaining control after a loss of control. I know a lot of parents who have their teens practice this before they let them drive the car in the winter. It's amazing how easy it is to regain control... I think a lot of accidents are caused by 2 things: 1. the person loses control, and 2. They react the wrong way making things worse.

Actually yes, he still did have a stop. Around here, they put signals even for people going the wrong way down a one-way street just so they can't use the excuse "but I didn't have a stop!" or "but I didn't have a light!". Going the right way down the one-way street, you also have a stop.

Going to a parking lot is a good way to learn how the car reacts in skids... however if you're going too fast for conditions you're still going to hit something ;)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Good thing you've got that winter snow... summer snow is just no fun.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: geno
Good thing you've got that winter snow... summer snow is just no fun.

lol. It's been as cold as winter here for the last few weeks, but we haven't had any snow till a few days ago. Now in the spring it's going to warm up but it'll take weeks for all the snow to melt ;)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah, we just had 2.5 feet of snow dumped on us... I'm now feeling the effects of the delayed winter :(

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Before I stuck the mustang in a parking garage for the weekend you KNOW I was having some fun in the parking lot at 6:30AM on friday :D

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
I've been doing this as well. I've just learned I can't pull the handbrake in turns as it wears my rear clutch packs. So to drift i have to power all 4 wheels, which is only doable in the snow. Nevertheless, very, very fun. Subaru, the beauty of AWD. :)

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg

Do what all the Honda Fanboys do. Put Plastic Lunch Trays under the Rear tires :)