Hmm... does Windows learn or something?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i installed dreamweaver mx on my fresh install of XP... it would take like 5 seconds to bring up the nag screen. this made me wonder about my new hard drive. but then, after like the 20th time of opening the program to see how long it would take, the nag screen comes up fast now. what's up with that? has windows learned that i like this program or something? :confused:

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
It's called disk caching. Programs that were recently loaded sit in cache. When you start them, most of the data is sitting in RAM so it doesn't need to be read off your disk. It'll sit in cache until the memory is needed for something else.

TheOmegaCode

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2001

<< It's called disk caching. Programs that were recently loaded sit in cache. When you start them, most of the data is sitting in RAM so it doesn't need to be read off your disk. It'll sit in cache until the memory is needed for something else. >>

Yeah, if you do one task over and over again, it starts, and runs faster as time goes on. Restart, and it won't be that fast. I guess you could say cache is like short term memory...

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
Read this. Scroll down to the section called "Prefetch".

Here's another interesting article. Download the Word file and read it. It talks about fast booting but also fast app startup.