HL2 and Uninterruptable PS weirdness

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I have my computer hooked up to an older APC UPS and was playing HL2 last night and everything was fine until I hit ESC which put me into the menus and stayed there for 20-30 seconds. At that point my UPS started going crazy, red light flashing and beeping like mad but it stopped when I exited the menu so I waited a few more minutes and tried it again and the same thing happened. Why would entering the menu in HL2 cause the UPS to go crazy? The only thing that I can think of is that for some reason it kicks my 8800GTS into overdrive which makes the PSU pull more power putting it over what the UPS wants to output.

Ideas?

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I thought this was going to have something to do with the shipping company...

I think your guess is right and you're drawing more power than the ups can handle. I'd try getting everything you can off the UPS (or just plugging into the wall) and testing it. I haven't played HL2 in awhile but I remember they had fancy menus with stuff going on in the background. I don't remember them coming up when I accessed the menu in game though... maybe it has something to do with rendering everything with the overlay?

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I fixed the topic to make it clearer :)

I have a whole bunch of stuff on that UPS and it is in a cramped spot.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
My UPS is only rated for 315watts maximum and my PSU is rated at max of 600Watt draw.