Hitman Absolution (and cheap pre-order)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Been playing it pretty solidly over the holiday break. Having a great time with it and really trying to maximize the experience by getting every challenge available, so I am only up to the level after Rosewood. Rosewood's Subtle Syringe challenge part 3 took me a long time to get!

So Im really happy with the game.

Yea I like it also! Is missing the big sandbox aspect from previous Hitman games but is a very good game none the less. I was worried that I didn't start out with my Signature Hardballers but I did get them later on through the Mission. I remember beating the Original Hitman 47 for PC back in 2001 lol I don't even know how my computer could run that game, none the less I fell in love with Hitman right then and there, and I have being a big fan every since. In the Link I posted above, I got 3 games for $50 so I got, Hitman Absolution :biggrin: Sleeping Dogs, and the last one was Far Cry 3 Pre-order, which I CAN NOT WAIT TO start playing!;)

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
a) Restart from checkpoint is a bit unreliable. Sometimes it causes AI scripts to die out (like a guy will just stand there talking on phone forever and will never perform his normal scripted routines). Also sometimes enemies you kill are revived when you restart from checkpoint.

The save system, if you want to call it that, is absolute rubbish. Not only does "restart from checkpoint" rarely work for me, but i HATE not being able to skip cut scenes/intro movies. This game really needs an F5/F9 option right now. I am going to shelve this thing until these problems are addressed.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Wow. I expected more consolitis but genuinely impressed with the game so far. One of those rare games I like, I actually enjoy exploring instead of trying to get through it asap.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ok, just got the game and can't figure out how to take out guards and stuff without killing them?

nm, figured it out, but have a new question....

how do you save your game? I see checkpoints every so often but you can't save multiple times? Say i get to the checkpoint, take out all the guards in the room, and then get killed on the next room, i have to start over and lose all that progress?

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
ok, just got the game and can't figure out how to take out guards and stuff without killing them?

nm, figured it out, but have a new question....

how do you save your game? I see checkpoints every so often but you can't save multiple times? Say i get to the checkpoint, take out all the guards in the room, and then get killed on the next room, i have to start over and lose all that progress?

You grab guards and tap the according button to perform a non lethal take down. As for checkpoints that is your save. If you take out all guards in a room and go to the checkpoint next time you start the guards may still be there but they won't be aware of you.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Broke down and bought this one after seeing some screens, this game is gorgeous, can't ... stop ... killing !!

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Game appears to be $20 [download] on Amazon. Seems like a huge price cut so soon after the game was released. How does it compare to the previous titles?

A few user reviews on Metacritic make it sound like the game is very linear and requires a "repeatedly die while trying things over and over" gameplay that console games use.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Game appears to be $20 [download] on Amazon. Seems like a huge price cut so soon after the game was released. How does it compare to the previous titles?

A few user reviews on Metacritic make it sound like the game is very linear and requires a "repeatedly die while trying things over and over" gameplay that console games use.

I don't think that its repetitive. There are so many ways to accomplish a mission. If they say that is repetitive then so were the last hitman games. I like it a lot better than the others. More story involved, although it's similar to just doing assignments for people just like you were doing for the agency. Many approaches to accomplish each objective. It requires you explore areas first before just going for a target and objective.

You won't know until you try it yourself and 20 bucks is good. It is 40 on steam still or maybe they lowered it too, last I checked was last week.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001

U can always put it on easy which pretty much turns you into a tank. The game is graphically stunning, story is good and there are all sorts of different ways to complete missions. If you like great visuals and grusome deaths (i threw a guy into a wood chipper) its well worth it.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I would of been happy enough to pay 50 for the game...but I was lucky enough to wait for the steam 50% sale. What a bargain. The game is definitely one of the better looking games of the year. It is very gritty, and actually very depressing but it can be quite fun in this depressing atmosphere. The enemy protagonist really want to make you cringe. As for the changes in game play with the addition of the instinct "juice" bar as I call it, makes it more challenging than walking around with a disguise all day. I can't spoil anything, but each level having several different opportunities to knock someone off makes this game replay heaven.

Last edited:

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Glad i jumped in on this - I like that you can repeat the areas to try different ways to complete the objective [and of course get bonus points for completing ALL of the objectives].

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I just finished far cry 3 but I need to start playing this. I only originally played up to 2 missions maybe 3 and its definately great

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I tried the first game and it damn near put me to sleep. Is this one any better?

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
discovering that just playing the game and not worrying about the bonus objectives makes it a lot more fun to play. It gets really old really fast repeating the same area over multiple times just to finish up all of bonus objectives.