Hitler - the clothing store, not the Nazi Germany leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
A men’s clothing store in India is being asked to change its name after the chosen 'Hitler' unsurprisingly upset the local community.
Proprietor Rajesh Shah claims he was unaware that the name may cause offence as it derives from a nickname given to his business partner’s grandfather.

The ‘Hitler’-store has provoked outrage among residents and the small Jewish community in Achmedabad in the Gujarat province.

Rajesh Shah poses in a Mahatma Ghandi t-shirt outside his shop Hitler in Ahmedabad earlier today

Mr Shah says no harm was intended when they named the shop.
‘Frankly, until the time we applied for the trademark permission, I had only heard that Hitler was a strict man, he told the Times of India. ‘It was only recently that we read about Hitler on the internet.’

He says Hitler was a nickname given to his business partner Manish Chandani's grandfather due to the man’s strict nature and has nothing to do with the German dictator.
But local Jews disagree and say the owners knew exactly what the name meant.

Mr Shah claims he did not know who Hitler was until recently when he searched for the German dictator on the internet

Mr Shah shows a business card for his clothing shop, complete with a swastika in the dot over the i in Hitler
A member of the Jewish community visited the store last week and told the newspaper that the pair had researched the dictator 'right from the dress to his cufflinks'.
'We had suggested a separate design, but the proprietors claimed that the name brings good business since its launch.'
After a visit by Jews from the local synagogue expressing their concern, Mr Shah has said he is willing to change the name but only if he is compensated as he and his business partner has run out of money.
Mr Shah claims all their funding of 40,000 rupee ( £454) had been spent on signs, business cards and advertising for ‘Hitler’ and that someone would have to pay for the re-branding of the clothes shop.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2194930/HITLER-Jewish-groups-India-urge-owners-clothing-store-change-shops-name.html

Well - its definitely one way to get attention for your store

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Heh, if attention was the intent it worked.

I think he should change the name to "Hitlar!"

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Hitler didn't kill millions of people any more than Obama killed Bin Laden. I don't get what the hell the Liberal freak out knee jerk reaction here is all about.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Hitler didn't kill millions of people any more than Obama killed Bin Laden. I don't get what the hell the Liberal freak out knee jerk reaction here is all about.

You are a paid plant.

Well actually it sounds like he's just using the same argument so many conservatives on here use about Obama. (or maybe she, sophitia sounds like a female name) It was in fact quite a witty response, but perhaps should have been relegated to the proper thread.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
It was in fact quite a witty response, but perhaps should have been relegated to the proper thread.

Only if you believe that the environment that Hitler created and used to kill the Jews is anywhere close to the environment that Obama had. Hitler had far more of a direct hand in creating the SS than Obama did in creating the SEALs

Status
Not open for further replies.