Hit a deer this weekend

skimple

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Update #2

After removing the seats and cleaning out all the glass, the shop is up to $9200 in damages. Cuts on the dash cover, leather seats, etc.

Plus, the haven't dialed the roof in yet, so its possible that they may have to replace the roof.

I guess that I'm lucky that I didn't get hurt, and that the insurance company is willing to still fix it. I've driven plenty of crappy cars that were worth a lot less than $9K.

Holy crap.

UPDATE

Insurance company just sent the repair estimate in - $5400!

And that's before the shop starts to take everything apart and vacuum out the glass. So it could go up.

Heading up to help the in-laws close up the cabin, and got surprised by a doe that tried to jump the hood. Fortunately I was alone in the car.

Some pics:

W0u3r6v.jpg

ESIVIry.jpg

OGjHnWn.jpg

RP3yqoK.jpg

pTdfFEj.jpg

My car is stranded about two hours away and I get to spend most of this week waiting for the insurance company to send an adjuster out to see the car. Yay me!

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Holy crap dude! ... Your lucky you didn't get seriously hurt or even killed!

A deer coming through the windshield is no joke.

skimple

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Going about 45. The girl came in from the passenger side and I didn't even see her until she was in my windshield.

Very nice. Any gore pics?

No. My arm got cut up a little. Fortunately it wasn't a buck.

The tow truck guy was more interested in getting the carcass loaded on his truck than in getting my car loaded up. I had to help him lift it up.

Last edited:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
bet that made you drop your cell phone .... That or you drive with tunnel vision .
Being from Louisiana, you of all people should know how quick and unpredictable deer can be.
Yeah....geez. These are animals that evolved to be difficult to find as an adaptation to to avoid being eaten.
My dad was good at running into deer, or having them run into him. He went through quite a few cars that way.
My mom also hit one at around 45mph, nearly totaling the car.

- Most hits were at night.
- One leapt/fell off of a steep bank of rocks next to the road, right in front of the car. (Pennsylvania, so there's a lot less flat terrain here than in Louisiana.)
- One came out of the woods next to the road and smacked into the rear passenger-side door, during the daytime.

Most of the roads out that way are either between corn fields, or are surrounded by trees. The only "deer-safe" speed at night is probably going to be somewhere around 10-15mph. They see or hear the car, then panic and start running in some direction. Some of them choose poorly.

Phone? I think my dad finally got a cellphone within the last 2 years, and he barely touches it.

My mom......she has come to believe that wifi can cause health problems, and cellphones are right there in the same family as far as she's concerned. I just don't know what to do about that. :\:(

Last edited:

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
bet that made you drop your cell phone .... That or you drive with tunnel vision .

What an idiot. You should just shut up.

Had a couple deer hits in last 10 years. Worst was driving down a country road on the way to a client trees on both sides of the road. A buck raced in from the passenger side. Saw just a blur of brown as I hit him. Thankfully I had a big SUV so it crushed the front end, destroyed the radiator.

And the tow truck driver also wanted the carcass as the right side of the deer was undamaged. So he took that home with him also.

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
Yikes. Now I'm glad my summer deer hit was all bumper/radiator and not the passengers.

Some hunters evolved to see those hidden deer. I used to ride with a hunter who pointed out a bunch of deer that I rarely saw. But I'm not a hunter.

My hit deer was eating in a ditch on the drivers side. I let up on the gas, and then the deer decided to cross the road. I slammed on the brakes, while it almost made it, but hit the passengers front side. I kinda wish I steered into it (swerving left) I might have missed it, but you never know how committed that deer is to running.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
This is why we need 12 gauge shot guns strapped to the hood of the car, firing off every 1 second - to CLEAR the entire area in front, of any potential deer leaping in front. But, OH NO - can't do that; America is on a hell bent course to become totally pussified!!shift+1!!!

Oh, glad you are OK. I hope the insurance covers it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Going about 45. The girl came in from the passenger side and I didn't even see her until she was in my windshield.

No. My arm got cut up a little. Fortunately it wasn't a buck.

The tow truck guy was more interested in getting the carcass loaded on his truck than in getting my car loaded up. I had to help him lift it up.
sorry about your car and glad you are safe.

that is a rather common accident around here.

there are still lots of farm land in SWOntario and a high deer population. On average there are 14,000 deer collisions per year in Ontario.

as for the carcass, it's yours to do with as you please. Here you just have to notify the right people, either OPP or Ministry of Natural Resources. My uncle used to drive around at night looking to hit a deer. He had a huge 4x4 with a bush bar. He would then butcher the deer and have free meat.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, hard to believe you weren't seriously hurt after seeing those pix.

I know that feeling when a deer just decides to initiate a suicide mission. In all the years of driving my only two accidents are deer kills. One came out of trees at the edge of the road at a place where I know they cross and was already driving under the limit just in case.... The other decided to cross a six-lane highway from my left while I was in the middle lane on my side. The big truck on my left saw it and slowed down just enough so the truck kept me from seeing the deer coming across and I hit it in the dead center of my grille.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do, notwithstanding the know-it-all comments. If a deer is hidden in trees or brush at the edge of the road and decides to run in front of you at the last possible second, the most alert driver with the fastest reflexes in the world couldn't do anything about it.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I've hit a lot of deer over the years but nothing with that kind of damage. Glad to hear you're OK.

ksheets

Aug 11, 2000
Coming from Ohio and having several insurance claims over the years. The deer hit YOU, you didn't hit the deer. :)

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I was in a car that hit a deer this last memorial weekend. We saw it in time to start braking but not to finish, we hit it at around 15mph. It still boned the front bumper and hood, something like 3k in repairs, but that's what insurance is for.

At the time though it was chaos. One of my sisters was driving and all she wanted to do was to keep driving to the campground. Also in the car was a cousin that's sweet but not real bright, she was freaking out. Everyone but me was completely sober and I was the one stuck thinking fml I'm surrounded by idiots. Fortunately my other sister and I convinced the driver that we needed to stop and check the car for damage. Also fortunately it was just a fawn, still had its spots, and we had almost stopped when it hit us. That could have been a lot worse.

Last edited:

skimple

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Hmmmm. Not sure how much of that meat would still have been salvageable. That's my first deer hit and I've always been told that the meat is ruined after a car strike.

Thanks for the well wishes everybody!

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Lol, had it been me, I'd have taken pictures with my cell phone, put the carcass on the roof, called the insurance company, called the state police for permission to keep thse carcass, broke out the windshield enough to drive, and headed for home. Half a deer worth of venison? Yum! Glad you're okay, OP. Just the bruiased meat is ruined.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
My Bro hit a deer and banged up his car pretty good. I was surprised what the car looked liked after they fixed everything. Like nothing ever happened.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
My friend hit a kangaroo in Australia. He said it totally mangled up the front of the truck. But the kangaroo said fuck you, and kept on going