History term paper thesis....too obvious?

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000
That seems like a good idea, you tie in a lot of related topics, which seem to get history teachers giddy.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
How about the Pre-Revolution utopia and the capital forming effects of military mobilization? (jacked from Good Will Hunting) :)

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fyleow
I was thinking about doing the entrance of the U.S. into WW2. My argument is that it would have been inevitable even if the attack on Pearl Harbor didn't happen because of economic, nationalistic, and political reasons.
You do know that events at Pearl Harbor were setup on purpose, otherwise US would never enter the war, right? The public opinion during 1940s was to stay out of Europe's conflict, and the only event which could force public to support US entering the war was something drastic happenign to the US. And that event was Pearl Harbor, which was set up on purpose. Just some food for thoughts and maybe for a good research paper...

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Conspiracy theorists believed that Roosevelt knew about the attack on Pearl Harbor before hand, and that he withheld that information so that US could enter the war.

That's what I heard somewhere...

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Been trying to come up with a term paper thesis, the only requirement being that it has to be within 1775 to 1975. So pretty much everything except recent events. I was thinking about doing the entrance of the U.S. into WW2. My argument is that it would have been inevitable even if the attack on Pearl Harbor didn't happen because of economic, nationalistic, and political reasons. I'm not sure if this would work well though, seems like a given. If anyone has any suggestions for a term paper topic let me know. Has to argue something within those years.

Thanks.

If that doesn't scream grade 8 text book thesis, I'm not to sure what does.

Edit--> My Suggestion

I think you could talk about the introduction of Free Trade with Canada and if it has positively or negatively affected the american economy/culture, as now we are changing all these laws (softwood lumber, dairy etc etc)

gar598

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2001
Jefferson and his Diest background - how he contradicted many of his pacifisted many of his pacifist ideas.

-established the US Military Academy (originally a engineering school)
-establishment of many forts along the east coast
-slavery

etc

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: RyanSengara
Been trying to come up with a term paper thesis, the only requirement being that it has to be within 1775 to 1975. So pretty much everything except recent events. I was thinking about doing the entrance of the U.S. into WW2. My argument is that it would have been inevitable even if the attack on Pearl Harbor didn't happen because of economic, nationalistic, and political reasons. I'm not sure if this would work well though, seems like a given. If anyone has any suggestions for a term paper topic let me know. Has to argue something within those years.

Thanks.

Edit--> My Suggestion

I think you could talk about the introduction of Free Trade with Canada and if it has positively or negatively affected the american economy/culture, as now we are changing all these laws (softwood lumber, dairy etc etc)
Wasn't free trade with Canada only recently (1994) setup in the NAFTA agreement? I didn't know of any free trade agreements between the U.S. and Canada before 1975.

You could, for a fun topic, trace the impact of nationalism and patriotism during wartime to the restriction of civil liberties. Consider the applications of the Sedition act in 1918, the Espionage Act and its relationship to enlistment in 1917, or possibly the use of the Smith act in a post-WWII world. It would be easy to turn all that information (there's tons of it out there) into an argumentative paper.

Rob

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Entity

Thanks.

Edit--> My Suggestion

Wasn't free trade with Canada only recently (1994) setup in the NAFTA agreement? I didn't know of any free trade agreements between the U.S. and Canada before 1975.

You could, for a fun topic, trace the impact of nationalism and patriotism during wartime to the restriction of civil liberties. Consider the applications of the Sedition act in 1918, the Espionage Act and its relationship to enlistment in 1917, or possibly the use of the Smith act in a post-WWII world. It would be easy to turn all that information (there's tons of it out there) into an argumentative paper.

Rob

The first sign of the Free Trade agreement was setup in the 20's?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Entity

Thanks.

Edit--> My Suggestion

Rob

The first sign of the Free Trade agreement was setup in the 20's?
Link? I wasn't being facetious. I honestly didn't know that we had full free trade with Canada before 1975. I've heard of the FTA, but that was in 1989, right?

Rob

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Assess the United State's isolationism foreign policy from 1775 up until the start of World War I and argue whether it was for the best or for the worst (whether you thought they were right or wrong) and back it up with examples. This question or something similar, was on my AP US History exam, so I guarantee theres plenty of examples for both sides.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
Or in the isolationist bent, how about the US return to isolationism and the effects that it had in Europe. Wilson had a fairly broad plan for Europe after the wae including the League of Nations, but failing to ratify the treaty of Versaillias(sp?), and the retreat home had a negative impact on any furture peace prospects in Europe.