Historical RTSs - Dead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
oh well... sounds like EE3 is full of crap... I am 99% sure that is because the cartoon look.

but for me CoH and M2TW are the top of strategy for me lol...

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, Empire Earth 3 was total crap. I can't wait to see what Rick Goodman is up to though. Sounds ace whatever it is.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I played the demo, but that's something of an abstraction, because I had no idea how to, and the learning curve seems pretty steep if you're new to that sort of thing. It seemed like it could be cool, but I want epic battles in Real time, wheras this was kinda sloppy.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: antyler
I just passed Age of Empires II, and now im on the conquerers expansion. I love that game. It is highly addicting.

i used to play that like a madman. it was the first PC game i really got into.

is tehre still an online community playing it?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
Originally posted by: antyler
I just passed Age of Empires II, and now im on the conquerers expansion. I love that game. It is highly addicting.

i used to play that like a madman. it was the first PC game i really got into.

is tehre still an online community playing it?
Seconded on the online community question. Used to play that game with my buddy over MSN Gaming Zone, hahah those were good times.

I actually just picked up a copy of AOE I/II/Conquerers for my work laptop since I won't be home for awhile. AOE II is the shit.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
MSN Gaming Zone was taken down a while back, but its being hosted on ESO I think.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I must say that I've enjoyed playing AoE3 on the LAN. Some things I dislike, but overall, I kinda like it. I've definitely been spoiled by the zoom levels in SupCom though. I want to see more action on my screen that what the max zoom in Age3 will show me. Shoot, building your two top tier ships fills your entire screen.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yes! More games with the SupCom zoom please. I want a Company of Heroes with a SupCom zoom, that way, I can call in airstrikes and perhaps, even control aircraft.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
If you haven't played Rise of Nations you are really missing out. It is easily the best RTS of all time. The polish, gameplay, balance, is all just perfect. It is the only RTS that actually gets the macromanaging aspect right. You are actively encouraged NOT to micromanage units, and you get damage penalties if you try to focus fire. The game is all about making an economy, expanding your territory, knowing when to build a balanced army and maneuvering with the army as a whole. The game can become frantic and exciting at any time, from rushing in the stone age to racing for the future-technologies, with military strategies ranging from raiding with single units, to spamming cannons as turks or cavalry as french, all the way to trying to cause a losing game to draw by causing Armageddon with nukes! Ah, I need to go reinstall it now!

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
If you haven't played Rise of Nations you are really missing out. It is easily the best RTS of all time. The polish, gameplay, balance, is all just perfect. It is the only RTS that actually gets the macromanaging aspect right. You are actively encouraged NOT to micromanage units, and you get damage penalties if you try to focus fire. The game is all about making an economy, expanding your territory, knowing when to build a balanced army and maneuvering with the army as a whole. The game can become frantic and exciting at any time, from rushing in the stone age to racing for the future-technologies, with military strategies ranging from raiding with single units, to spamming cannons as turks or cavalry as french, all the way to trying to cause a losing game to draw by causing Armageddon with nukes! Ah, I need to go reinstall it now!

Yeah, looking back now, they actually had a lot of things right. At the time, it seemed like an Empire Earth rip off, but I think it's brilliant now. Where is Rise of Nations 2???