Hint for an Android newbie?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Been Windows Phone guy for years but am going Android. Have had some cheapie Android phones for unactivated use around the house but now my only activated phone is a Samsung S9.

Recently I have taken up daily skates that last about 40 minutes. I have a heart rate monitor strapped to my chest and Myworkouts app running on the S9. One day the phone started barking all kinds of stuff, music too, whatever while I'm skating. I stop and mess with it. So, now I have app volume set to zero, I also have the phone in Airplane mode with bluetooth on, because that's needed for the heart rate monitor. AFAIK, nothing but myworkouts is running but almost every day when I'm done skating and I go to stop my workout in Myworkouts, there's some crap on the screen... something I have no idea about, no idea how it got there. It usually wants to run something or is asking me permission. Sometimes it's a video.

I guess I should watch some video tutorials to get the drift of basic stuff.

How the hell do I stop anything but Myworkouts from running while I'm using it? WTH is going on?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Do you need the apps that are notifying you? Can't you just uninstall them?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Do you need the apps that are notifying you? Can't you just uninstall them?
I don't know what's going on. I didn't have the patience to track it down, just wanted to get back to the Myworkouts app I was running. After skating as fast as I can for 40 minutes and 6 miles up and down a hill I wasn't in the frame of mind to analyze the situation.

I have found a workaround, though. I start my workout in the app and hit the button on the side to lock the phone. THEN I start my skate. I've done this for the last 3 or 4 skates and so far it's stopped anything crazy from happening AFAIK. Evidently "Lock" doesn't just stop any input from occurring, it stops any phone activity until unlocking. However, the Myworkouts app having been already set to start its activity, continues in the background. Which is sensible to me, exactly what I want from it.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I don't know what's going on. I didn't have the patience to track it down, just wanted to get back to the Myworkouts app I was running. After skating as fast as I can for 40 minutes and 6 miles up and down a hill I wasn't in the frame of mind to analyze the situation.

I have found a workaround, though. I start my workout in the app and hit the button on the side to lock the phone. THEN I start my skate. I've done this for the last 3 or 4 skates and so far it's stopped anything crazy from happening AFAIK. Evidently "Lock" doesn't just stop any input from occurring, it stops any phone activity until unlocking. However, the Myworkouts app having been already set to start its activity, continues in the background. Which is sensible to me, exactly what I want from it.
Is it possible that you didn't lock the screen before and it was jiggling around in your pocket and randomly opened a bunch of apps?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Is it possible that you didn't lock the screen before and it was jiggling around in your pocket and randomly opened a bunch of apps?
I think that's exactly what happened. You'd think jiggling wouldn't launch stuff but it seems that it did. I wasn't locking it before but started locking it around 4 skates ago and so far so good.

Reactions: pete6032