Hillary: Suicide bombings are a sign Iraq is on the right track

Sep 12, 2004
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30397960/

BAGHDAD - U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said on Saturday that this week's deadly suicide bombings in Iraq are a sign that extremists are afraid the Iraqi government is succeeding.

Making her first trip to Iraq as America's top diplomat, Clinton said the country has made great strides despite the recent violence that killed at least 148 people on Thursday and Friday.

"I think that these suicide bombings ... are unfortunately, in a tragic way, a signal that the rejectionists fear that Iraq is going in the right direction," Clinton told reporters traveling aboard her plane ahead of her unannounced visit to Baghdad.

Well knock me over with a feather. I wonder when this great twist of convenient rationalization came to Ms. Clinton? I don't recall her claiming anything of the sort until after her party took over the Whitehouse. Suddenly it's become an sign of success in Iraq? Amazing how that works.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I think when a US official makes an announced visit to Iraq, it'll be an indication of progress.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Better to have a handful of crazy's blowing themselves up than militant gangs of anti-government thugs controlling entire cities?

I don't know, just a guess.

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

BAGHDAD - U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said on Saturday that this week's deadly suicide bombings in Iraq are a sign that extremists are afraid the Iraqi government is succeeding.

Making her first trip to Iraq as America's top diplomat, Clinton said the country has made great strides despite the recent violence that killed at least 148 people on Thursday and Friday.

"I think that these suicide bombings ... are unfortunately, in a tragic way, a signal that the rejectionists fear that Iraq is going in the right direction," Clinton told reporters traveling aboard her plane ahead of her unannounced visit to Baghdad.

Well knock me over with a feather. I wonder when this great twist of convenient rationalization came to Ms. Clinton? I don't recall her claiming anything of the sort until after her party took over the Whitehouse. Suddenly it's become an sign of success in Iraq? Amazing how that works.

H. Clinton has always been in lock-step with Dick and W Iraq foreign policy.

http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/4802

This in all likelyhood was the main reason she lost to Obama in the Dem. primaries.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: microbial

This in all likelyhood was the main reason she lost to Obama in the Dem. primaries.
Not exactly lockstep:

http://www.icue.com/portal/sit.../chapter/?cuecard=6219

She has been all over the place on the issue, but her real place has always been to say whatever is politically convenient at any particular time.

microbial

Oct 10, 2008

Not exactly lockstep:

She has been all over the place on the issue, but her real place has always been to say whatever is politically convenient at any particular time.

Take home message is that historically HC has been on the wrong side of this issue.

Unlike Rush, I hope they get it right now, because it has been a holy clisterf8ck of epic proportion for much too long. It's a huge hole and no easy way to climb out.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001

Not exactly lockstep:

:thumbsup: Pander! Pander! and Pander! Obviously she haven't learned from her lost during the last primaries.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Actually it`s amazing how your mind works at times......as opposed to the rest of the time..lol

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Actually it`s amazing how your mind works at times......as opposed to the rest of the time..lol

What so surprising about me showing what a political slimebag HC is?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It's just like how you know the tea parties are having an effect, when MSNBC cannot ignore them anymore and insults American citizens 24/7.

Kamikaze fighters came at a time when Japan was desperate.

So yeah, I can agree with Clinton on this.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
In a sense, Hillary may be correct, now that Iraq is experiencing a new wave of violence and some say that violence is Al-Quida inspired, it may well change man on the street public opinion and have desirable effects on political accommodations thus far missing.

To some extent Iraq is a country that never should have been, but when the choice in a shot gum wedding amounts to perpetual strife between factions or
some measure of personal safety, an Iraqi legislature drifting into denial will find a fire lit under their butts to take the needed political accommodation measures needed to reduce violence.

And in a sense, I can't be happy with Hillary's statement, at best, she only fools herself. I common failing of politicians who play the political spin game.

Unlike many others, I still regard Iraq as a powder keg, any reductions in violence are very thin wallpaper, that only conceal the fuse that slowly still burns.
The various Iraqi insurgencies are still organized and better armed than ever. And like a coin with an infinite number of sides, all kinds of end outcomes are
possible before the spinning stops and the coin comes to rest.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Iraq needs a new Saddam. That is the only way that country will ever be stable. The Iraqis are simply incapable of having anything less than a dictatorship. Everyone knows this.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

As usual you are totally mis-interpreting what she is saying!
Personally she has a valid point.
I refer you to a portion Lemon law`s post. Although many times Lemon law is full of himself this time he nakes some valid points!!

In a sense, Hillary may be correct, now that Iraq is experiencing a new wave of violence and some say that violence is Al-Quida inspired, it may well change man on the street public opinion and have desirable effects on political accommodations thus far missing.

To some extent Iraq is a country that never should have been, but when the choice in a shot gun wedding amounts to perpetual strife between factions or
some measure of personal safety, an Iraqi legislature drifting into denial will find a fire lit under their butts to take the needed political accommodation measures needed to reduce violence.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001

Nothing, shes no more a slimebag than Bush, Cheney, Palin, etc.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
The Iraqis have to stand up for themselves and take on the mantle of protectors of their own lands. These attacks are testing the resolve and unity of the Iraqi government. To show that the Iraqi government can indeed lead they have to take off the training wheels. No amount of hand holding from us will work in proving to the average Iraqi that their government is a real and relevant one. Of course Al Qiada realizes that it is go time if they are going to wedge themselves into Iraq. They either bring down the government through a campaign of violence and fear in which they show they are in control now or stall out and earn the hatred and contempt of the average Iraqi citizen. To be somewhat cliched "Democracies are not given out, they are earn via blood, sweet, and tears by the citizens of a would be democratic nation.".

Sep 12, 2004

As usual you are totally mis-interpreting what she is saying!
Personally she has a valid point.
I refer you to a portion Lemon law`s post. Although many times Lemon law is full of himself this time he nakes some valid points!!

To some extent Iraq is a country that never should have been, but when the choice in a shot gun wedding amounts to perpetual strife between factions or
No, I'm not misrepresenting what she's saying, I'm browbeating her for her sudden change of direction. Her statement about Iraq has been valid for a long time now, for well over a year, if not longer. But instead of making an honest assessment of Iraq prior to Obama coming into the WH she stuck to her old talking points all the way up until now. Like I said, she's a political slimebag.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh so when these guys were blowing up Iraqi citizens at far higher rates a couple of years ago Iraq must had been on an even better track!

Makes sense lol