Higher speed limits, deaths?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: 5ayle
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: illusion88
Originally posted by: m2kewl
Study ties higher speed limits, with more deaths

It's not the speeding that kills, it's the bad drivers! Now who's with me??!?

/dons flame suit for fire protection

Higher Speeds + Bad Drivers = deaths. Not everyone is mario Andretti behind the wheel.

True, but it's derived from the master equation

Cars + Bad Drivers = Deaths

- M4H

So then

Cars = Higher Speeds

No matter what there will be Deaths

Yep. So why short us good drivers the fun of driving swiftly? The morons will kill themselves anyhow. :D

- M4H

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: KraziKid
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod
This is why we need designated fast lanes. If you don't have the skill, drive in the slow lanes and let us better driver drive as fast as we want. It would be safer to have say two lanes of a four lane highway designated as fast lanes with legal 10-20 mph more limit. This would allow the fast drivers to be seperated from the crappy slow drivers.

I'm with you!

Although untill that day comes, ill continue weaving through traffic at 100-120mph in my sti. :Q

:p. What we need are highways like the autobon in Germany all around the US. Now that would own. I don't weeve through traffic at 100-120 mph, I briskly move through it at 90-100 mph :D. Most of the time, traffic on the highways I go on is moving 70-80 mph anyway (speed limit is all 55 bah @ this).

Yeah... but european drivers are much better drivers than the typical american driver. If youre cruising down the audobahn at 110 in the left lane, cars in front of you will actually pull into the right hand lane when they see you coming. Unlike in america where you can ride 3 inches off a soccer mom's bumper in the left hand lane and she still wont pull over.

So yeah, in some cases, weaving is a necessity if you dont want to spend half your life driving. :D

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
This is why we need designated fast lanes. If you don't have the skill, drive in the slow lanes and let us better driver drive as fast as we want. It would be safer to have say two lanes of a four lane highway designated as fast lanes with legal 10-20 mph more limit. This would allow the fast drivers to be seperated from the crappy slow drivers.

I'm with you!

Although untill that day comes, ill continue weaving through traffic at 100-120mph in my sti. :Q

:p. What we need are highways like the autobon in Germany all around the US. Now that would own. I don't weeve through traffic at 100-120 mph, I briskly move through it at 90-100 mph :D. Most of the time, traffic on the highways I go on is moving 70-80 mph anyway (speed limit is all 55 bah @ this).

Yeah... but european drivers are much better drivers than the typical american driver. If youre cruising down the audobahn at 110 in the left lane, cars in front of you will actually pull into the right hand lane when they see you coming. Unlike in america where you can ride 3 inches off a soccer mom's bumper in the left hand lane and she still wont pull over.

So yeah, in some cases, weaving is a necessity if you dont want to spend half your life driving. :D

the worst is the soccer moms who goes below the speed limit in the HOV lanes with no traffic...oh the horror!

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

I'm with you!

thats because they go through hell just to get a drivers license. not like here... where they practically hand it over to you as long as you have hands and feet.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: boyRacer

I'm with you!

thats because they go through hell just to get a drivers license. not like here... where they practically hand it over to you as long as you have hands and feet.

I'd rather go through hell to get my license and get restrictions levied a little. Plus, going through hell to get a license will keep the piss poor drivers from getting licenses.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001

yeah, i hear in germany it's like $2k just to go thru the course and get a license. :Q

faZZter

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2001
The problem is we have a bunch of crappy drivers. This is because almost anyone can get a license without having to pass any real test that matters. Also we allow POS cars that are ready to fall apart and not roadworthy to get out there with the cars in good condition.

The faster speeds are just fine if they would actually make people pass a real test to show they have the skill to operate a motor vehicle at speed before giving them a license.. Then require them to drive a decent car too.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

I'm with you!

I'd rather go through hell to get my license and get restrictions levied a little. Plus, going through hell to get a license will keep the piss poor drivers from getting licenses.

exactly... thats what we need over here... when we went to germany two years ago... the cars on the left were just romping down... and the slow cars stayed on the right. i honestly wouldn't mind stricter driving tests either.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Also, what pisses me off is that people can fail a road test 3 times, then magically pass on the fourth and get a full license. A girl I know has failed the road test four times, but eventually she will get an instructor that will pass her. I for hell's sure don't want to be driving near her on the road.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

yeb, kinda like Germany

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: faZZter
The problem is we have a bunch of crappy drivers. This is because almost anyone can get a license without having to pass any real test that matters. Also we allow POS cars that are ready to fall apart and not roadworthy to get out there with the cars in good condition.

The faster speeds are just fine if they would actually make people pass a real test to show they have the skill to operate a motor vehicle at speed before giving them a license.. Then require them to drive a decent car too.

...that and the fact that most of the drivers out there have no clue as to how to handle their cars during emergency manuevers... let alone trust their own cars... all hell breaks loose over here when it rains... :(

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002

...that and the fact that most of the drivers out there have no clue as to how to handle their cars during emergency manuevers... let alone trust their own cars... all hell breaks loose over here when it rains... :(

I really hate drivers in the rain. They think that just because the road is damp they need to slow down to 30 on a highway. I can handle my car well above 70 in the rain. Most cars these days come DWS tires (Dry, Wet, Snow) factory. The only time my car breaks loose from the ground when it is wet is when I want it to.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
the rodney king lane?

well he needs to be separated from all other drivers anyway
"no i'm not drunked, the house came speeding towards my SUV at 100mph!!"

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Wait - you're what, like 16? Where did you acquire all of this driving skill, video games? Being a good driver has very little to do with "skill" and a lot to do with attentiveness. What "skill" is involved comes from experience. Maturity also plays a big part, which is why I'm glad you can't drive until you're 17 here. Teenage males account for so many accidents because they're immature and they THINK they have some kind of amazing driving skills.

Edit: I'm not advocating lower speed limits, but you'd have to be a complete idiot to think that bad drivers are the only reason higher speed limits result in more deaths. a. you travel a lot farther in the time it takes you to react to road hazards, and b. your stopping distance increases greatly at higher speeds.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Same thing happened last night. Going about 85-90 MPH, drove up behind someone cruising in the left lane at 75 MPH. At first I was curteous, staying a few car lengths behind to give them a chance to change lanes. About 30 seconds later, I shaved their car (my term for passing excessively close) and cut them off. Sometimes when I'm in the mood, I'll pull in front of a left-lane offender and tap my brakes until they move their slow asses into the right-hand lane.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: mugsywwiii

Wait - you're what, like 16? Where did you acquire all of this driving skill, video games? Being a good driver has very little to do with "skill" and a lot to do with attentiveness. What "skill" is involved comes from experience. Maturity also plays a big part, which is why I'm glad you can't drive until you're 17 here. Teenage males account for so many accidents because they're immature and they THINK they have some kind of amazing driving skills.

Firstly, I am 17. Secondly, I actually bothered to learn how to drive before I took my road test. I have been taught how to control my car in a spin, and how to drive defenisvely. I have been driving vehicles since I was about 10. My father owns a rigging business, so I have been driving forklifts and moving trucks all my life. The skill I gained is from driving initially with someone experienced in my car, and then I learned much more by driving by myself. I am very attentive on the road. I keep my eyes all over it, meaning I make sure of all my blind spots and pay attention to all the cars around me. If you really want to test driving skill, come to NY and we will see who has learned more.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

I really hate drivers in the rain. They think that just because the road is damp they need to slow down to 30 on a highway. I can handle my car well above 70 in the rain. Most cars these days come DWS tires (Dry, Wet, Snow) factory. The only time my car breaks loose from the ground when it is wet is when I want it to.

well i think speed when it rains is dependent upon driving conditions... but what i dont like when it rains is drivers in LA arent really attentive as to what's going on around them... and once it rains it becomes even more crucial that you know whats going on around you... yet people still seem oblivious that theyre sharing the freeway with other people. :confused:

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

well i think speed when it rains is dependent upon driving conditions... but what i dont like when it rains is drivers in LA arent really attentive as to what's going on around them... and once it rains it becomes even more crucial that you know whats going on around you... yet people still seem oblivious that theyre sharing the freeway with other people. :confused:

I think the worst part about socal drivers in the rain is that so many of them don't seem to understand that water on the grounds reduces traction. They just keep driving like there wasn't a drop on the ground even when it's downpouring. Times when I'm scared to do even 60 on the freeway I have people blow by me like they don't see any water.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Firstly, I am 17. Secondly, I actually bothered to learn how to drive before I took my road test. I have been taught how to control my car in a spin, and how to drive defenisvely. I have been driving vehicles since I was about 10. My father owns a rigging business, so I have been driving forklifts and moving trucks all my life. The skill I gained is from driving initially with someone experienced in my car, and then I learned much more by driving by myself. I am very attentive on the road. I keep my eyes all over it, meaning I make sure of all my blind spots and pay attention to all the cars around me. If you really want to test driving skill, come to NY and we will see who has learned more.

I'm glad you bothered to learn how to drive before you took your road test - you HAVE to learn to drive before you take your road test. I know you think you're a great driver now, but I'd be willing to wager that you'll still improve a lot with more actual road experience. As for your pseudo-challenge, I live in NJ and I've driven in Manhattan and Philly (which to me was worse because the roads are so narrow), not to mention the tangled mess of roads that is central NJ - I think I can hold my own on the road. I usually take it slow though, because to me it's not worth getting a ticket to turn a 40 minute drive into a 35 minute drive.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002

I'm glad you bothered to learn how to drive before you took your road test - you HAVE to learn to drive before you take your road test. I know you think you're a great driver now, but I'd be willing to wager that you'll still improve a lot with more actual road experience. As for your pseudo-challenge, I live in NJ and I've driven in Manhattan and Philly (which to me was worse because the roads are so narrow), not to mention the tangled mess of roads that is central NJ - I think I can hold my own on the road. I usually take it slow though, because to me it's not worth getting a ticket to turn a 40 minute drive into a 35 minute drive.

Here in NY, you really don't know how to drive to get a license. You can be a pretty bad driver and still get a license. Since I got my license in September, I have put on about 2000 miles (not including junior license over summer, where I could drive for work). I think I have been getting plenty of road experience, and am more qualified than the average driver.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Here in NY, you really don't know how to drive to get a license. You can be a pretty bad driver and still get a license. Since I got my license in September, I have put on about 2000 miles (not including junior license over summer, where I could drive for work). I think I have been getting plenty of road experience, and am more qualified than the average driver.

You've had your license for a month... Yeah.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
In Vermont it is pretty amusing in the winter time you will see some hick vermonters driving thier beater cars flying through snow covered high ways going 65 passing city folk, Mostly New Yorkers and mass holes in thier big ass SUV's going 30 and flipping the stupid thing.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002

You've had your license for a month... Yeah.

Learn to do math, more like 3 months. I have had my full license since September 11th, and my junior license since June 30th. So in reality, I have been driving solor for about 5 months, two of which were just for work. Also, did you read my previous post? I have been driving trucks and forklifts since I was 10. So I have had about 7 years of experience.

TofBnT

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2003
Well, just to throw the fun in, I have an international license that allows me to drive commercially anywhere in the world. The very worst drivers are not in the US, though we do have some bad ones, they are in southern Europe and the third world countries. Here in the US they ensure that you can steer down the road and that you know what the signals and signs are for. In some countries signals and signs mean nothing. I personally believe that the only way an autobahn system would work here would be to have several levels of licenses just like they do in Germany. Only the highest level is allowed on the Freeways.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Learn to do math, more like 3 months. I have had my full license since September 11th, and my junior license since June 30th. So in reality, I have been driving solor for about 5 months, two of which were just for work. Also, did you read my previous post? I have been driving trucks and forklifts since I was 10. So I have had about 7 years of experience.

ok, two months - I guess it's hard to explain to you that experience makes you a better driver because you DON'T have a lot of experience (I'm sorry, but driving a forklift since you were 10 does not amount to 7 years of driving experience, unless you drove the forklift on streets and highways every day and it turned at the front wheels). Not to mention that you still have the maturity level of a 17 year old.