Higher speed limits, deaths?!

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
auto deaths are optional, just don't ride in cars if you don't want to be killed in an auto accident

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
This is why we need designated fast lanes. If you don't have the skill, drive in the slow lanes and let us better driver drive as fast as we want. It would be safer to have say two lanes of a four lane highway designated as fast lanes with legal 10-20 mph more limit. This would allow the fast drivers to be seperated from the crappy slow drivers.

MrAwesome

Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: KraziKid
This is why we need designated fast lanes. If you don't have the skill, drive in the slow lanes and let us better driver drive as fast as we want. It would be safer to have say two lanes of a four lane highway designated as fast lanes with legal 10-20 mph more limit. This would allow the fast drivers to be seperated from the crappy slow drivers.

Oh man......your plan has bad news written all over it.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: MrAwesome

Shhhhh, as long as I can legally drive 90+ :D.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
fast drive =! good driver
rolleye.gif

MrAwesome

Aug 31, 2003

This is just another reason to have flying cars. According to Back to the Future, we should have those by now. Those stupid scientists need to stop working on a cure for herpes and start developing my flying car damnit.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002

This is just another reason to have flying cars. According to Back to the Future, we should have those by now. Those stupid scientists need to stop working on a cure for herpes and start developing my flying car damnit.

Well, according to Back to the future, after 88 mph, I am in time travel. Now I just need to find me a flux capacitor. Also, about the flying cars, I saw a TV program yesterday about the skycar, it looks like it may not be far off. The only major problem is creating a computer backend to a "highway in the sky." If we really want functional skycar's with FAA approval, they need to be computer driven to minimize the human inteference. Do you want a skycar falling on your house from a couple of hundred feet up?

Originally posted by: FoBoT
fast drive =! good driver
rolleye.gif

I agree, but there are people who can handle cars at high speeds.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
As long as it is selective it is fine. Maybe you have to pass a test, and have a chip implanted in your car. This chip makes sure you car is running well, and can mantain said preformance at higer speeds (because even the best driving is spoiled by a sh!tty car), and that you have passed some sort of Government approved test that allows you into the fast lane.

And this chip cures cancer!

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003

I'm with you!

Although untill that day comes, ill continue weaving through traffic at 100-120mph in my sti. :Q

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod

I'm with you!

Although untill that day comes, ill continue weaving through traffic at 100-120mph in my sti. :Q

:p. What we need are highways like the autobon in Germany all around the US. Now that would own. I don't weeve through traffic at 100-120 mph, I briskly move through it at 90-100 mph :D. Most of the time, traffic on the highways I go on is moving 70-80 mph anyway (speed limit is all 55 bah @ this).

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: illusion88
Originally posted by: m2kewl
Study ties higher speed limits, with more deaths

It's not the speeding that kills, it's the bad drivers! Now who's with me??!?

/dons flame suit for fire protection

Higher Speeds + Bad Drivers = deaths. Not everyone is mario Andretti behind the wheel.

True, but it's derived from the master equation

Cars + Bad Drivers = Deaths

- M4H

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
"The 12 states that raised their limits to 70 mph were California, Florida, North Carolina and Missouri."

Some news reporter sure makes lots of sense ;)

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I always stick with my motto. "55....stay alive"

so it would also rhyme when put in as 665 stay alive, 105 stay alive, 5 stay aliv, 555 stay alive.

your motto is flawed

MIKE

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Bad idea all around. What if someone doesn't feel safe driving at those high speeds? What you will end up with is a huge gap between the slowest and fastest cars on the same road. That is bad news... I don't care how good you think you are.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Speeds should say exactly like they are.

The tests should change, so that you only get a licence if you are GOOD at driving. 1/2 the people out on the roads should not have licences, and should have to take public trans or carpool with a better driver.

Now we are giving licences to illegal aliens. Great idea. My state forces all drivers to have insurance, but you can't get insurance unless you are legal. But you CAN get a drivers licence (if a new law in sate passes)

If an alien with a DL hits me, I am going after the state. If they give a DL to an illegal alien, they are sanctioning these people driving illegaly, so the state is liable.

5ayle

Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: illusion88
Originally posted by: m2kewl
Study ties higher speed limits, with more deaths

It's not the speeding that kills, it's the bad drivers! Now who's with me??!?

/dons flame suit for fire protection

Higher Speeds + Bad Drivers = deaths. Not everyone is mario Andretti behind the wheel.

True, but it's derived from the master equation

Cars + Bad Drivers = Deaths

- M4H

So then

Cars = Higher Speeds

No matter what there will be Deaths

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
With the population density we have now, it make much more sense for the cost in dollars and well being to invest in mass transit, but we're just not civil enough to do so I guess, or is it just too much corporate influence?

*dodges bullets* :)

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I kind of see a problem with how insurance companies funded this study

MrAwesome

Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
I always stick with my motto. "55....stay alive"

so it would also rhyme when put in as 665 stay alive, 105 stay alive, 5 stay aliv, 555 stay alive.

your motto is flawed

MIKE

Ummm, i think you like to over analyze obvious sarcasm.