High Temps

ImYourGodNow

Nov 14, 2012
Hi guys,

I have recently upgraded to windows 8 pro from windows 7 HP.
My CPU and GPU idle temps have shot up from: CPU: 30ish*C idle and GPU 35ish*C idle to 44*C and 50*C.

System:
AMD Phenom 965BE at stock
Corsair H60
ASUS M4A87TD EVO
4 X 2 GB Gskillz RipJaw 12800
MSI 7950 Twin Frozr iii at stock
2 X 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM RAID0
OCZ Stealth Stream 600W PSU
Cooler Master Storm Trooper.

This has been driving me crazy for a couple of weeks now! I reinstalled windows 2 days ago and my temps were fine for 1.5 days I think after a windows up date my temps shot up again so I uninstalled all the updates but this did nothing for my temps.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers Gav

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
Your cpu multiplier and voltage may have been lower at idle in windows 7 do to a low power plan setup in control panal.
Watch cpuz to check the multiplier and vcore.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
What are load temperatures? Those temps don't actually seem that bad to me.

ImYourGodNow

Nov 14, 2012
Your cpu multiplier and voltage may have been lower at idle in windows 7 do to a low power plan setup in control panal.
Watch cpuz to check the multiplier and vcore.
Hi John,

Mulitplyer was constant at X 17 and Vcore was also constant at 1.35V. I have found another post with similar problems and people were suggesting to activate cool and quiet which I have done now I have also changed my power plan to a low power plan in the control panel.

This seems to have had no effect.

ImYourGodNow

Nov 14, 2012
What are load temperatures? Those temps don't actually seem that bad to me.

Hi Zap,

CPU load temp 52*C (using AMD OverDrive. I would use prime95 but it always crashes my system) I know that is well within the safe levels for my CPU for load. 44*C on a closed water loop is pretty hot for an idle temp I think? :confused:

GPU 74*C using MSI kombuster.

Cheers

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
Does amd use core parking.
For no core parking I use the below

- Go to Regedit
- Select Edit > Find... and find this key: " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "
- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax " This value represents the % number of cores the system will park
Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start if you change it.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Load temps are great. I'd say either your system isn't properly going into idle, or maybe you need to clean the dust out.

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Hi Zap,

CPU load temp 52*C (using AMD OverDrive. I would use prime95 but it always crashes my system) I know that is well within the safe levels for my CPU for load. 44*C on a closed water loop is pretty hot for an idle temp I think? :confused:

GPU 74*C using MSI kombuster.

Cheers
this is normal those are test. they push to the limit.

ImYourGodNow

Nov 14, 2012
Does amd use core parking.
For no core parking I use the below

- Go to Regedit
- Select Edit > Find... and find this key: " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "
- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax " This value represents the % number of cores the system will park
Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start if you change it.

Hi John,

I have monitored my CPU behaviour using resource monitor and my cores are being parked when not in use. Why would I want to change this? What impact would it have on performance and heat?

Thanks

ImYourGodNow

Nov 14, 2012
Load temps are great. I'd say either your system isn't properly going into idle, or maybe you need to clean the dust out.

Hi Zap,

Dust isn't an issue as I have recently attacked my system with a can air. I'm pretty good at maintaining a dust free case.

Gav

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
You changed your op system and now your temps are higher then before.
I still think that win7 was using a lower mulitplyer or more core parking.
When my Intel cpu runs cooler I know it is from the op system dropping my mulitplyer to a lower setting which in turn drops the vcore to 1.2 x 12 normal vcore is 1.31-1.34 @21x or 4200.
Cpuz will not show the lower Mulitplyer but it does show the vcore drop.
If I use a old application named CPU-Tweaker or a intel application it does show the lower mulitplyer.
I avoid core parking because it can causes problems in games and can makes temps read lower.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Yeah my load temps are ok its my idle temps that are giving me a headache.

Want to magically make your headache go away?

Stop monitoring temperatures.

:whiste:

Seriously.

Load temps are not anywhere near high enough to be an issue. Idle temps are lower than load temps. In fact, there is no apparent issue that is being caused by the temperatures. Thus, why are you obsessing?

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
could your thermal paste need replaced? Does your task manager give any clues while temps are high?