High Temperatures for A8-5600K (APU)

mulven

Mar 5, 2014
STOCK HEATSINK and would rather upgrade later than now.
I have fluctuation of 45-55 degrees idle with the APU underclocked to 3.0GHz. I tested it on a few games and it normally hits 65 and around 72 on Prime95.

Speedfan does not detect temperatures or fans. Other software is unable to detect the temps (only speccy and hwmonitor can get it).

I have an intake fan at the front and an exhaust at the back next to the processor, however the intake (Fractal Core 1000 default fan) is 2-3x slower than the exhaust (Arctic 92mm).

Specs:
A8-5600K
Gigabyte FM2A88XM-D3H
4GB DDR3 1886MHz Kingston RAM
Corsair 430M PSU
Fractal Design Core 1000
A samsung cd drive and a wd hdd.

Any Ideas

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
STOCK HEATSINK and would rather upgrade later than now.
I have fluctuation of 45-55 degrees idle with the APU underclocked to 3.0GHz. I tested it on a few games and it normally hits 65 and around 72 on Prime95.

That's not even lukewarm for Trinity/Richland. I once had my 6800K reaching 106C before I shut it down manually. "Normal" operating temperature was between 85 and 95C with the stock cooler...

Do upgrade the stock cooler. Even a basic Arctic Alpine 64GT rev. 2 can keep it around 75C. Your case can fit a proper tower cooler, I would definitely recommend that.

mulven

Mar 5, 2014
So what are the max temps I can try to aim below? Before i reseated the CPU with new compound (no arctic silver in the town, had to get cooler master) I had 90 C temp on games.

The max safe temp is 74C but that is well below anything that will damage the apu, right?

Also, what about the temp readings and fan detection problems. Speedfan only detects the iGPU and HDD while other programs don't detect the temperature at all.

Last edited:

Deceneu

Jan 14, 2014
Most probable that Gigabyte board mixes up the info ,swaps the VRM with the CPU.
I have a FM2 A75 Gigabyte board and the readings are messed up for my 5600K with the latest BIOS.HW Info ,Speed Fan and any other monitoring software will show bogus info with this boards.The BIOS may show real temps though.
Since 2010 the Gigabyte AMD boards BIOS team releases only idiotic BIOS-es.
AM3+ 9xx boards are a mess too and so are the FM2/+ ones

Use a better cooler and stop reading the sensors until Gigabyte hires back the guys they had in 2009 ,they had great AMD boards back then with proper BIOS-es

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
My sons A10-5800K gives wacky temperatures with HWMonitor.
You might try googling whether you can trust temperatures reported on AXX processors with certain software.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Sorry, missed you where a first time poster... :oops:

So what are the max temps I can try to aim below? Before i reseated the CPU with new compound (no arctic silver in the town, had to get cooler master) I had 90 C temp on games.

Nobody really knows. AMD doesn't release much info regarding that unfortunately.

I'd still say slap a tower cooler like the Arctic Freezer 13 CO (perhaps the A30, but I'm not sure it can fit in your case, I have the Intel version (i30) on my 3770 and its massive) or the CoolerMaster Hyper 212EVO. Then if everything look looks to be working al-right forget about it...

You can try touching the heatsink (do be careful. You don't want to burn your finger) if its warm to the touch, everything -should- be fine. If its so hot you cant touch it, there is a problem. If you have an infra-red thermometer handy you can check heatsink temperature with that.

AMD Trinity's temp sensors are (supposedly) hopelessly borked.

I've had pretty good luck with HWinfo and AMD overdrive on my board. I don't know if its accurate or not (sensor says below zero C idling, so there is -something- wrong), but HWinfo can read data directly from the VRMs and that data seems in line with what my multimeter says is coming out of the wall socket (PSU inefficiency factored in).

Last edited: