"high speed" rail

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
There was another thread on BHO's regional rail but this one is specifically about the "speed" and thus usability.

"My budgets also make -- making unprecedented investments in mass transit, high-speed rail, and in our highway system to reduce the congestion that wastes money and time and energy. We need to connect Des Moines to Chicago with high-speed rail, all across the Midwest."

High speed is 79 MPH? Des Moines to Chicago has "multiple" stops? Assuming no stops - it's 5 hours by this "high speed" rail. Is that really worth it? It isn't fast plus there are multiple stops. Can anyone really support this as a worthwhile way to spend money?

local link

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
AY! DA Mare has some friends in the business. It's all about helpin' out yer pals, preferably with other people's money.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
People from all over Chicago are talking about being able to finally visit Des Moines cheaply.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
while this kind of stuff makes sense right now on the coasts and amtrak works very well and is profitable on the eastern seaboard, this is a LONG term project. It's going to take some time before iowa and chicago reach the density of the east coast but I actually think it will happen.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
It is nice I can go to chicago, jump on a train, and travel to a different state and back in a little over a day.

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
waste of money... if its not going +100mph they should not build it. You could drive your car at an average of 70mph and beat the train since it makes several stops.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Is there a huge demand for commuting between Chicago and Des Moines? At 5 hour commute that is laughable. Take you under an hour by plane. Shit one could probably get on a plane, to their meeting, and be back in Des Moines by the time the train even arrives in Chicago.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
while this kind of stuff makes sense right now on the coasts and amtrak works very well and is profitable on the eastern seaboard, this is a LONG term project. It's going to take some time before iowa and chicago reach the density of the east coast but I actually think it will happen.

When, 2145?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If it doesn't become comparable with airtravel for short to medium trips, the project is destined to become amtracked.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
There was another thread on BHO's regional rail but this one is specifically about the "speed" and thus usability.

"My budgets also make -- making unprecedented investments in mass transit, high-speed rail, and in our highway system to reduce the congestion that wastes money and time and energy. We need to connect Des Moines to Chicago with high-speed rail, all across the Midwest."

High speed is 79 MPH? Des Moines to Chicago has "multiple" stops? Assuming no stops - it's 5 hours by this "high speed" rail. Is that really worth it? It isn't fast plus there are multiple stops. Can anyone really support this as a worthwhile way to spend money?

local link

Oh my gosh, that's horrible. I thought "Highspeed" would have been 250mph +. Multiple stops is going to kill this thing. Jeez.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's really just a regional rail line, not anything resembling high speed rail (or even the faster 110mph service that's gong to be added a number of places).

The state saw an opportunity to put up a minimal amount of money to get the feds to fund the vast majority of the only $30M project. If anything it will be a starting foot print for faster regional travel to come much later.

Not really a lot to see here.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Is there a huge demand for commuting between Chicago and Des Moines? At 5 hour commute that is laughable. Take you under an hour by plane. Shit one could probably get on a plane, to their meeting, and be back in Des Moines by the time the train even arrives in Chicago.

Hell, you could get there faster by car.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

my 45 minute flight from Dallas to Houston takes around 3 hours by the time you factor in parking, getting to the gate, waiting to board, de-planing, etc...that's not counting flight delays or if you check in baggage...

would the security be as tight for these trains? I haven't ridden on an amtrak since I was 10, so I don't remember how the baggage stuff works...do you just carry your own stuff the entire trip? or do they check it in?

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
Small minded.....

It isn't tourism. Iowa is cheap. Trains can be used for freight. Build a factory in Iowa and move your goods to Chicago for export and distribution around the country.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: SammyJr
Small minded.....

It isn't tourism. Iowa is cheap. Trains can be used for freight. Build a factory in Iowa and move your goods to Chicago for export and distribution around the country.

That isnt what he said. He is specifically talking about business and personal travel. Not freight, which we already have tracks laid and a lot of the agribusiness probably travels down the Mississippi or Missouri depending on the side of the state.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: rudder
People from all over Chicago are talking about being able to finally visit Des Moines cheaply.

:laugh: I've been to Chicago a few times in my life but I've NEVER been to Des Moines...a "high-speed" rail line isn't going to change that either.

ZetaEpyon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
I think there's probably some confusion going on there, that's not high-speed rail at all.
Normal Amtrak lines go 79mph, unless the track is really bad.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

When, 2145?

probably lol :)