High school student arrested for killing dinosaur in class assignment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I used to laugh at and ridicule those that would home school their children. Now I understand the reasoning. It is true that the child will miss out on some social stuff, but from what I can tell, it is not the positive things that they will miss.

I was lucky, I went to public school with a very diverse group; Kurdish, Black, White, Asian, Hispanic and Indian.
We could actually talk about the differences in our cultures and have a few laughs. These days, I am willing to bet that such things could never happen; everyone likely keeps to themselves... political correctness.

As long as home schooling still involves activities (sports, clubs, scouting) outside of the home with other individuals, especially ones from different cultures, it will be a good supplement for making sure they are "well rounded" socially.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
But is this really a case of zero tolerance? What's the school's side of the story? Are the parents willing to sign a privacy release form to allow the school officials to tell it how they saw it?

Zero tolerance polices are idiotic. Life isn't black and white. At the same time, a lot of these stories are just parents and the child saying "Little Johnny didn't do anything wrong, etc." And we never hear the school's side as privacy laws prevent them from releasing that information without the parents signing a release.

Zero tolerance policies were enacted when authorities did not take serious or punish serious issues. Now it is used to punish those who have a thought that does not conform with how we should act in schools. I don't think this was the intention of those who wrote the mandates for federal funding.

Oct 30, 2004
Is there any hope left for our society when the populace no longer values civil liberties? I'd like to see the people in that district try to get the teachers/administrators fired.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
As long as home schooling still involves activities (sports, clubs, scouting) outside of the home with other individuals, especially ones from different cultures, it will be a good supplement for making sure they are "well rounded" socially.

Yeah - are you going to trust that the majority of parents are going to be able to teach and socialize their kids well? I've met a lot of home schooled kids and that doesn't seem to be the case, particularly in the social aspect

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah - are you going to trust that the majority of parents are going to be able to teach and socialize their kids well? I've met a lot of home schooled kids and that doesn't seem to be the case, particularly in the social aspect

No. But its better than trusting an institution that repeatedly shows its unable to effectively complete the job its been commissioned to do. All the while completely fucking up any chances your child might have outside of ones reliant only on social aptitude.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Signs of the end times are written all over this. If we can't say bless you in class it's a sure sign that Armageddon is on its way. Blessed are the meek for they will have no opinion on this and die quietly, unaware of the end, as they sleep. I think I'll take a nap, but then perchance to dream???? Aye, there's the rub. I may sneeze in my sleep and whisper God Bless Me in Aramaic.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
For the heck of it, I wonder what the school's side of the story is. Were the administrators and teacher actually going overboard or is the student and parent leaving out key details from what happened? Of course, privacy laws prevent the school from telling its side without a release from the parents.

I'm sorry you're trying to deflect the righteous outrage of a bunch of people who really don't know what happened. What do you think this is the land of common sense?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So liberals complain about creationists teaching that man used to walk with dinosaurs, but then they want to suspend a student for killing one?:hmm:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
So liberals complain about creationists teaching that man used to walk with dinosaurs, but then they want to suspend a student for killing one?:hmm:

What will really blow your mind is when the student wants to use an abortion as the method on the next assignment.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I love how one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other. And yet, we can always depend on the resident toaster-fucker to show up and invent spurious analogies.

:)

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I love how one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other. And yet, we can always depend on the resident toaster-fucker to show up and invent spurious analogies.

:)

Alright lets think about this a minute. In order for a student to shoot a dinosaur that would require for their to be living dinosaurs right? In which case creationists would be right :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Oh, I don't have to think about it. There are living dinosaurs....which further shows how wrong creationists are.

Ostrich,_mouth_open.jpg

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
This is the kind of shit that occurs when you give progressives the authority to be the thought police. It will get worse until we determine on a large enough scale who the real enemy to society is.
The real enemy is people who write about dinosaurs. They must be jailed at all cost.

Signs of the end times are written all over this.
If you read through the bible and replace "god" with "government", it actually starts to make a lot of sense. Government says murder your own son then flip flops and says not to (I was for it before I was against it). Government says the punishment for rape is to pay a fine and marry the girl, which sounds remarkably similar to the way US banks pay fines to settle fraud charges; nobody ever goes to jail. Give the church/government X amount of money. Why? Because fuck you; that's why. Don't sleep with men the same way you sleep with women; in this case, rape and rape culture. The government is obviously against female rape (as it should be), but that same government passively encourages male rape in prison by doing absolutely nothing to stop it. I guess that would apply to things like love as well. Women can love men, but loving women is verboten, and the government goes to great lengths to stop such trivial things. Caring a lot about things no sane person cares about is a common theme in the bible and modern government. Moses was told to murder a man who was gathering sticks on the sabbath. Governments seem to enjoy killing unarmed black men and homeless people for reasons equally questionable.

infoiltrator

Feb 9, 2011
The point that disturbs me is "kill a neighbor's pet."
Yes there have been too barky dogs I would rather were not there.
No, I do not see as a face book message "kill a neighbor's pet" as a reasonable topic.

Unfortunately both depriving anyone of a loved pet can be very wrong and sadists often begin by killing animals.

The idea of this particular youngster possessing a gun, shooting in his neighborhood, does not thrill me. Fiction not withstanding. And if smart assing, he deserved a wake up.

Guns are for sport, or if necessary, defense. IF you are a responsible gun owner you live by that. Too many people believe in guns in a fantasy/tv/movie sense.

Last edited: