High school student arrested for killing dinosaur in class assignment

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
8-20-2014

http://www.nbc12.com/story/26319685...ter-writing-threatening-message-on-assignment

High school student says he was arrested for killing dinosaur in class assignment

A 16-year-old Summerville High School student says he was arrested Tuesday morning and suspended after writing about killing a dinosaur using a gun.

Alex Stone said he and his classmates were told in class to write a few sentences about themselves, and a "status" as if it was a Facebook page.

Stone said in his "status" he wrote a fictional story that involved the words "gun" and "take care of business."

"I killed my neighbor's pet dinosaur, and, then, in the next status I said I bought the gun to take care of the business," Stone said.

"I could understand if they made him re-write it because he did have "gun" in it. But a pet dinosaur?" said Alex's mother Karen Gray."I mean first of all, we don't have dinosaurs anymore. Second of all, he's not even old enough to buy a gun."

Investigators say the teacher contacted school officials after seeing the message containing the words "gun" and "take care of business," and police were then notified on Tuesday.

Stone was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.

District officials say the student has been suspended.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Where did he get that idea?
yznKsSt.jpg

I demand Spielberg to come out and say killing dinosaurs is wrong. If there is even one life that can be saved.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
This is the kind of shit that occurs when you give progressives the authority to be the thought police. It will get worse until we determine on a large enough scale who the real enemy to society is.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
How does the word gun hurt anyone? Have we really deteriorated to the point where merely thinking about weapons automatically implies you plan on using weapons to harm others?

GUN GUN GUN GUN DINOSAUR TAKE CARE OF BIDNESS GUN GUN GUN

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
In the mid 80's I wrote a "Blade Runner" inspired story for my high school creative writing class. It was explicitly violent & graphic, but I’m sure I got a pretty good grade for it. I can’t even imagine what the zero tolerance Gestapo would do if I wrote the same story in a high school class today.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
When you let the PC police run the schools and more and more of society, this is what you get. Absurd stupidity where the mere mention of a tool (in this case gun) that the PC police don't approve of can get you arrested and charged with disorderly conduct even though you haven't harmed anything or anyone. Sad that we've let the country degrade to this point.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
When you let the PC police run the schools and more and more of society, this is what you get. Absurd stupidity where the mere mention of a tool (in this case gun) that the PC police don't approve of can get you arrested and charged with disorderly conduct even though you haven't harmed anything or anyone. Sad that we've let the country degrade to this point.

I suspect the kid did get mouthy and disorderly and was arrested for that. Not because of the writing. I do agree the school admins were idiots for even calling the police over a writing assignment. Lamebrains who shake in their boots anytime they see or hear something they do not like and want to make others think and act like they believe they should.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I suspect the kid did get mouthy and disorderly and was arrested for that. Not because of the writing.

I used to always think that as well, that there has to be more to the story, that only one side is presented and all that, but it's depressing to see how many times that isn't the case. For example with the kid getting suspended for simply eating their pop tart into the shape that resembles a gun, or the kids that get suspended for having a lego figure with a "gun".

The stupidity is rampant, and when confronted the idiots have grown so bold as to not even admit their wrongdoing, but instead steadfastly insisting their stupidity was the right course of action (essentially, doubling down on stupid, as was the case with the pop tart suspension).

I do agree the school admins were idiots for even calling the police over a writing assignment. Lamebrains who shake in their boots anytime they see or hear something they do not like and want to make others think and act like they believe they should.

This is what rampant politically correct stupidity does, and it's been growing throughout society, but even more so in the schools where political correctness has ruled for decades.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
For example with the kid getting suspended for simply eating their pop tart into the shape that resembles a gun, or the kids that get suspended for having a lego figure with a "gun".

Largely, I agree...but I think its valid to take that stuff seriously nowadays. IIRC, didn't the cops just bust up another plot to "kill as many as possible" in California a few days ago?

I would probably ask the parents if there was a reason why the kid would eat a poptart into the shape of a gun anyway before kicking him out of school.

Perhaps there is somerthing happening at home, or perhaps its nothing. I think folks have a valid reason to be a little concerned.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
This is what rampant politically correct stupidity does, and it's been growing throughout society, but even more so in the schools where political correctness has ruled for decades.

there is a growing movement IMO in our society that there is a "right" way to think, act. talk. That if one falls outside those bounds, then there is something wrong with you. It is a statist mentality, that we all have to conform to a norm defined by others, typically an authority institution - in this case public school administrators but in a larger sense the "government" if you will, as the controller of our social interactions and behaviors.

Vapid Cabal

Dec 2, 2013
Home school your kids, folks, home school.....

I used to laugh at and ridicule those that would home school their children. Now I understand the reasoning. It is true that the child will miss out on some social stuff, but from what I can tell, it is not the positive things that they will miss.

I was lucky, I went to public school with a very diverse group; Kurdish, Black, White, Asian, Hispanic and Indian.
We could actually talk about the differences in our cultures and have a few laughs. These days, I am willing to bet that such things could never happen; everyone likely keeps to themselves... political correctness.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Largely, I agree...but I think its valid to take that stuff seriously nowadays. IIRC, didn't the cops just bust up another plot to "kill as many as possible" in California a few days ago?

There is a difference between the kid actually doing something disturbing or writing something disturbing / threatening that might be red flags versus the politically correct nonsense where any mention of a gun is considered a "red flag". A kid playing cops and robbers at recess and shouting "bang bang" and pointing fingers is perfectly normal, but would get the kid suspended in many places because of politically correct stupidity.

I'm all for taking red flags seriously, but that assumes we can apply some common sense as to what might be red flags. Apparently, common sense is not very common.

I would probably ask the parents if there was a reason why the kid would eat a poptart into the shape of a gun anyway before kicking him out of school.

No, there is nothing inherently wrong with a gun, the shape of a gun, or games involving a gun, and no reason to do anything if a kid eats a pop tart in the shape of one. It's obviously not a threat to anyone. That's where common sense has to kick in.

I think folks have a valid reason to be a little concerned.

The media have done a wonderful job pushing the narrative that gun violence is out of control and that we should all live in constant fear of them and should be extremely vigilant etc, but the reality simply doesn't match that narrative.

Perhaps we should focus more on mental health instead of obsessing about any mention or depiction of "gun".

<-- not a gun nut or even gun owner

Dec 10, 2005
For the heck of it, I wonder what the school's side of the story is. Were the administrators and teacher actually going overboard or is the student and parent leaving out key details from what happened? Of course, privacy laws prevent the school from telling its side without a release from the parents.

Feb 6, 2007
If he'd already killed the dinosaur, why would he need to buy a gun to "take care of business"? Is he going to murder the owner? Is he going to offer up a 21 gun salute at the dinosaur's funeral? Does he plan on digging a ditch in the least efficient (but Michael Bay-siest) way ever? I NEED ANSWERS.

Dec 10, 2005
I've been saying this for years.
Though my wording is "Zero tolerance = zero thought."

But is this really a case of zero tolerance? What's the school's side of the story? Are the parents willing to sign a privacy release form to allow the school officials to tell it how they saw it?

Zero tolerance polices are idiotic. Life isn't black and white. At the same time, a lot of these stories are just parents and the child saying "Little Johnny didn't do anything wrong, etc." And we never hear the school's side as privacy laws prevent them from releasing that information without the parents signing a release.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Spot on.