High-Res Textures For Half-Life 1

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
I never really played Half-Life 1.

That's right folks. I said it. Kick me, spit on me, call me names, but aside from a very little bit of the PS2 version I've never played Half-Life 1. Before I got into PC gaming and started playing FPS games with a mouse and keyboard, I found FPS games on the console frustrating because of the lack of accuracy when using a gamepad. By the time I got into FPS games on the PC, Half-Life 2 had just been released so I never bothered with the original Half-Life.

But now I've decided to rewind a little and play through it. The thing is, the graphics are terrible. I know that someday years from now the total conversion Black Mesa: Source will be released, but I was wondering in the meantime if theres any good texture packs out there. I've found a few updated textures for the game here and there, but maybe you guys know of some that I don't.

Thanks for any info.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Did you install the expansions? IIRC Blue Shift was supposed to include better textures.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
They released HL: Source which from what I recall is not HL in the source engine but HL with some updated models and textures. I never checked it out myself.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
You're playing HL:Source, right?

Also, while Blue Shift had some texture upgrades, I think it was the weapons and other minor textures. Nothing major.

While the graphics may be outdated, the gameplay makes up for it and more.

flyboy84

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2004
Originally posted by: RandomFool
They released HL: Source which from what I recall is not HL in the source engine but HL with some updated models and textures. I never checked it out myself.

You've got it mixed up...HL: Source is HL in the source engine without updated models and textures. There are a few enhancements (water looks like HL2 water for example) and gameplay tweaks (crossbow can now pin enemies to wall like in HL2) and some bugs introduced from what I've heard.

Hopefully BM: Source will do it justice, I was very disappointed with HL: Source.

Oh and yes, the expansion pack Blue Shift adds some updated models and textures (and also completely changed the look of two weapons: the G17 becomes an M9 and the MP5/GL becomes an M4/M203 combo).

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: flyboy84
Originally posted by: RandomFool

You've got it mixed up...HL: Source is HL in the source engine without updated models and textures. There are a few enhancements (water looks like HL2 water for example) and gameplay tweaks (crossbow can now pin enemies to wall like in HL2) and some bugs introduced from what I've heard.

Hopefully BM: Source will do it justice, I was very disappointed with HL: Source.

Oh and yes, the expansion pack Blue Shift adds some updated models and textures (and also completely changed the look of two weapons: the G17 becomes an M9 and the MP5/GL becomes an M4/M203 combo).

Ahhh I knew there was some trick to it. By the time HL:S came out I had already beaten it a few times and wasn't interested in playing through it again.

milesl

Oct 11, 2004
I hope the Black Mesa Source team complete it also,but such a huge project is going to take them forever.If they actually complete it its going to be coming out around the time Half Life 3 does.

I loved Half-Life 1 way more than 2.This will rock if it ever gets completed.