High pitched hum from speakers

AJ33

Jun 6, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm having a wierd issue with my speakers (Klipsch Promedia 2.1). They begin to emit a high pitched hum after they've been on for sometime. Its a really annoying like nails on a chalkboard. It is not like static. Heres a couple of things I tried

1) Change power socket - did not work
2) Disconnected the speakers from the computer - hum remains, connected to my phone - hum remains. So I do not think it has anything to do with the computer

Some more details

1) I turn them off overnight and when I use the PC the next day and say watch a stream or any other video, they are fine for about 90-120 minutes before the hum returns
2) If I switch them off and on immediately, the hum comes back.. but if I leave them off for a while, the hum comes back after some usage...almost seems proportional to how long I leave them off.
3) When I switch them off from the on board controls, I can hear a soft clicking sound from them as long as they are hooked into the power.

Any idea where the issue lies? Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
AJ

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Since the hum followed to your phone, my sense is that the cable is not properly shielded. Try a different cable.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Yeah, I have a friend who's speakers do that whenever I am on the phone with him and using Teamviewer at the same time, but only whenhe is close to the computer his MagicJack connection is plugged in to. What kind of phone do you have? Like corkyg suggested, the phone cable probably doesn't have adequate shielding.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
There are quite a few complaints (and YouTube videos) about that. From what I understand from reading through some of them, it is a common complaint.

When I replaced my old Logitech speakers about a year ago, I had too many concerns on the overall quality of the speakers (along with the of lack of a on/off switch) to buy their system. Instead I went with another Logitech system.

I'd contact their support department, but it sounds like the amp board/resistor is going bad. You didn't say how long you've had them, but I'm assuming you've had them for a bit, and now they've developed that noise that wasn't there before.

Last edited:

AJ33

Jun 6, 2017
Since the hum followed to your phone, my sense is that the cable is not properly shielded. Try a different cable.
Thanks for replying - I don't think its the cable. I should have mentioned that even if the cable is completely disconnected from any device, the sound persists. For example - I switch on the speakers and start watching a TV show. After a while the sound starts - it doesnt matter if I have it connected to the PC or to any other device or not connecting to anything at all, the sound will persist unless I switch the speakers off for sometime. The longer I leave them off, the longer the sound stays away when I switch them on again (or thats what I think is happening)

AJ33

Jun 6, 2017
There are quite a few complaints (and YouTube videos) about that. From what I understand from reading through some of them, it is a common complaint.

When I replaced my old Logitech speakers about a year ago, I had too many concerns on the overall quality of the speakers (along with the of lack of a on/off switch) to buy their system. Instead I went with another Logitech system.

I'd contact their support department, but it sounds like the amp board/resistor is going bad. You didn't say how long you've had them, but I'm assuming you've had them for a bit, and now they've developed that noise that wasn't there before.
Ive tried to go through complaints about sounds coming through the speakers but wasnt able to find a situation quite like mine. If you have any resources I could check, please do let me know.

You may be right about a failing component somewhere. They are about 4 years old, though I used them for about a year before I boxed them up again. I got them out again a couple of weeks ago, so they've been sitting idle for about 2 years.

AJ33

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah, I have a friend who's speakers do that whenever I am on the phone with him and using Teamviewer at the same time, but only whenhe is close to the computer his MagicJack connection is plugged in to. What kind of phone do you have? Like corkyg suggested, the phone cable probably doesn't have adequate shielding.

So like I mentioned in the earlier post, I don't think its a cable issue because the sound will persist even if disconnected from any device.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ive tried to go through complaints about sounds coming through the speakers but wasnt able to find a situation quite like mine. If you have any resources I could check, please do let me know.

You may be right about a failing component somewhere. They are about 4 years old, though I used them for about a year before I boxed them up again. I got them out again a couple of weeks ago, so they've been sitting idle for about 2 years.

Just Google Klipsch Promedia noise/screech/static. Plenty to read through, but here are a couple.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fixit/comments/5i8i5n/broken_klipsch_promedia_21/

https://www.speedguide.net/forums/showthread.php?285688-I-might-need-new-desktop-speakers

You can also read through the 1-star reviews on Amazon. After Klipsch was bought out by Audiovox in 2011, the quality went down.

AJ33

Jun 6, 2017
Just Google Klipsch Promedia noise/screech/static. Plenty to read through, but here are a couple.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fixit/comments/5i8i5n/broken_klipsch_promedia_21/

https://www.speedguide.net/forums/showthread.php?285688-I-might-need-new-desktop-speakers

You can also read through the 1-star reviews on Amazon. After Klipsch was bought out by Audiovox in 2011, the quality went down.

Thanks man. I feel like a bit of an idiot for not googling using Klipsch promedia in the search haha. Just kept looking for generic posts related to noise from speakers. Theres definitely alot to read through which I will do. However, if it is a technical issue, I dont have the expertise to fix it. Going to try to reach out to the local Klipsch dealer for help but I'm not very optimistic.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks man. I feel like a bit of an idiot for not googling using Klipsch promedia in the search haha. Just kept looking for generic posts related to noise from speakers. Theres definitely alot to read through which I will do. However, if it is a technical issue, I dont have the expertise to fix it. Going to try to reach out to the local Klipsch dealer for help but I'm not very optimistic.

If they are willing to fix it, with it being out of warranty, you will likely spend more than if you just buy another system. I would take a good look at the Logitech Z623. You can catch it on sale on Amazon for $99, like it is right now. A lot better quality than Klipsch. It's too bad because the Promedia 2.1 were such a good set back in the day.

AJ33

Jun 6, 2017
If they are willing to fix it, with it being out of warranty, you will likely spend more than if you just buy another system. I would take a good look at the Logitech Z623. You can catch it on sale on Amazon for $99, like it is right now. A lot better quality than Klipsch. It's too bad because the Promedia 2.1 were such a good set back in the day.

Yeah I'm worried that I'll end up having to junk these having barely used them at all.