High high pitched sound from no where

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Sometimes, like once every two weeks or so, I just get this very high pitched sound in one of my ears. It is very similar to the sound a TV makes when it is turned on.
Sort of like when you are another room but know the TV is on because you can hear that high pitched sound. It last about 10 seconds and then disappears.

Is that classified as tinnitus? Or am I just hearing some random high pitched frequency?
Anyone else experience this?

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Are you drinking too much tonic water?

Edit: Too much quinine causes tinnitus.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Safeway
Are you drinking too much tonic water?

Edit: Too much quinine causes tinnitus.

No...lol.
It's always been like this, since I was a kid. Just never say anything.
Every once in a while I'll ask someone if they hear that, but no one does.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I have the same problem. Its probably due to either loud music or being around open-headered race engines most my life.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
You were abducted. It's the tiny microchip in your head getting interference from one of your devices.

edit: wtf my replies always get bumped down

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I get it occasionally too. Not that frequently though. Maybe once every couple of months. It doesn't last long, maybe 15 minutes to half an hour. Doesn't really bother me that much if there's background noise, I only notice it if it's real quiet. I guess I always figured it was air pressure or something like my ears need to pop.
On a similar note, I can also hear the high pitched whine if a tv or crt is on. Oddly enough some people can't hear it. My mom and my girlfriend can't. We must have sensitive ears or something.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
I get it occasionally too. Not that frequently though. Maybe once every couple of months. It doesn't last long, maybe 15 minutes to half an hour. Doesn't really bother me that much if there's background noise, I only notice it if it's real quiet. I guess I always figured it was air pressure or something like my ears need to pop.
On a similar note, I can also hear the high pitched whine if a tv or crt is on. Oddly enough some people can't hear it. My mom and my girlfriend can't. We must have sensitive ears or something.

I can both hear that whine, AND see 60hz flicker(monitors, florescent lights). People think I'm crazy.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
ringing in your ears. Old wiseman used to say to represents someone talking about you, somewhere around the world. :D

whatever it is, I get it too, but its not frequently, and was always short-lasting, say, 15 seconds? When I was a little kid, say, around 7, I got it too. So its not necessarily loud-music or other loud-noise related, as back then I had nothing loud to be around. I'm around more loud things now, and DON'T get the ringing in my eyes.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Raduque

I can both hear that whine, AND see 60hz flicker(monitors, florescent lights). People think I'm crazy.

Me too

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
I hear that stuff, too.

I also get the ringing in my ear every once in a while. It lasts for maybe 15 seconds, and goes away slowly. I think it's air pressure or perhaps an alien tag in my head. :p

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
You might be hearing the high-pitched whine of electronics. I can almost immediately tell if there's a TV on somewhere in a house because of it.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Originally posted by: Raduque

Me too

The 60mhz flicker has always made me nauseated and the constant ringing in my ears is so loud these days it overpowers people talking and most normal sounds. The doctors have never isolated a cause for the tinnitus. It really sucks.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I get the same thing. I can hear a muted TV being turned on from the other side of the house.