Question High end ultrawide gaming machine - want feedback before I get the parts

LobsterPunk

Oct 23, 2019
Hello!

I'm planning to build a new gaming PC and would love to get a review of what I am considering.

Purpose: Purpose is almost exclusively gaming. Primarily I want to have as beautiful and immersive an experience with RPGs as possible. I play other games, but my main games are things like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 (when it launches), The Outer Worlds (once I build this), etc. Hoping to play games at high/ultra settings at 32:9 5120x1440

Budget: $3k USD, not including monitor. Can go over a bit if needed.

Parts list:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900k

Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Designare

Memory: 32GB (2x16) Corsair Vengeance RBG Pro DDR4-3200

Storage: WD Black 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

Video card: EVGA Geforce 2080Ti 11GB XC Ultra

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid-tower (may change, not totally sold on aesthetics of this one)

Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W 80+ Gold fully modular

Monitor: Samsung CRG9

Last edited:

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Looks pretty good to me apart from a high volume drive for storage if you need it. Though it's pretty easy to pick all high end components; I guess the trick is getting the best deals. But IMHO 5120x1440 is too wide and 3840x1600 is the sweet spot for ultrawide (this coming from me gaming on a 34" 3440x1440 and I'm still twitching my head side to side and using peripheral vision a bit). Each to their own of course.

Also it seems you're completely ignoring peripherals in your budget. You can spend $hundreds on a nice keyboard and mouse. The same again on a nice headset or headphones, and more if you include a decent DAC or audio interface (and mic?). Plus the sky is the limit if you want "good" speakers.

I used to think it was all about what's inside a computer which counts, but it's good peripherals which make the best PC experience. In many cases it would be better to drop down an unnecessarily overpowered CPU/mobo and lose a couple of FPS to have better mouse/keyboard or a sweet set of headphones. Plus of course peripherals are a much better "investment" since they're still "good" for a long time and should last multiple computer builds.

Edit: Even though I long ago decided 3840x1600 was the sweet spot for ultrawide I just now realized the options available are extremely limited (though I still think 5120x1440 is too wide). And looks like the next good gaming 3840x1600 coming out soon is the LG 38GL950 which will be ~$1800 retail, and (with good reason) out of the budget of most people.

Last edited: