Question High end Display ( competetive fps + AAA games )

roadkill0000

Nov 9, 2015
Hi all. I'm looking for a really solid display that will last me into the future for competitive FPS, Overwatch and AAA games,

4k would be cool.

A really good response time rate ( 0 ms possible? )

I'm used to 24", something around that range

For competitive fps (overwatch) 300 hz?

G-Sync maybe for AAA games at high settings?

I'm willing to throw down some decent money, I want the display to be good for future games.

Thanks!

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
You're going to decide what you want to focus no because there's no single monitor that will deliver on everything. All of the monitors I've seen that are 300+ Hz are 1080p monitors and I'm not sure if there are even any 1440p monitors that go above 240 Hz. Also a 0 ms response time is not possible and very few monitors can achieve a response time below 6 ms when running at their maximum refresh rate.

I'd suggest an LG 27GN950-B if you want a solid 4K display. It's 27" and can get 160 Hz refresh rate and has a low response time of around 6 ms. Samsung's Odyssey G7 is a pretty solid all around 1440p display that has a 240 Hz refresh rate. If you want the best refresh rate the ASUS PG259QN is a 24" 1080p monitor that can hit 360 Hz and also has a ~6 ms response time. All three of those run in the $600 - $800 price range.

Reactions: roadkill0000

roadkill0000

Nov 9, 2015
Thank you very much for this info,
I guess the primary thing I'm looking for then is for competitive shooters, up to 300 hz, maybe with optional g sync... and fastest response time possible. 24" is preferred.

I can live without 4k atm lol

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Get that ASUS then, which goes up to 360 Hz which is I believe the fastest you can currently get, or at least that I've seen at any rate. Unless you've got a Pascal card and won't be upgrading for a while, I don't think you need to worry about G-Sync since Nvidia basically stopped using it and their newer cards support Freesync. It's slightly more complicated than that, but shouldn't be an issue, and the ASUS is G-Sync anyhow so you're covered either way.

Hardware Unboxed has a review of it:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Get that ASUS at that point, which goes up to 360 Hz which is I accept the quickest you can right now get, or possibly that I've seen at any rate. Except if you have a Pascal card and will not redesign for some time, I don't think you need to stress over G-Sync since Nvidia essentially quit utilizing it and their more current cards uphold Freesync. It's marginally more confounded than that, however shouldn't be an issue, and the ASUS is G-Sync in any case so you're covered in any case.

Why is this an obvious direct rephrasing of Mopetar's post?

Weird.

Reactions: Mopetar

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
As for the OP looks like you might be interested in that 360hz screen, sadly it's still 1080p though. There are some good 1440p 240hz coming out, but you will have to get a TN panel most likely.

The Samsung Odyssey G7 is a 240 Hz display that I mentioned is a VA panel. It's a 27" which is a bit above what the OP wanted, but it's not too much larger that I think it would be an issue.

Also to get +300 fps you need a beefy video card.

A lot of FPS games are designed not to be so graphically intensive that it's impossible to hit those frame rates. Overwatch doesn't require anything too outrageous if you turn down the settings and in others like CS:GO you can around 300 FPS with Maxwell cards.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would look at a 1440p screen @ ~240Hz. This is a good compromise between 4k and 1080p. There is an Acer screen like this, which is IPS, that can OC to 275Hz, with Freesync/Gsync. Another monitor I have been eyeing is the upcoming Eve spectrum.