high disk usage when running apps for the first time after windows startup

mircato

Sep 3, 2017
whenever i run any application after windows startup no matter how much time after the startup the disk usage gets to 100% with no actual apps using disk all are around .1 mb/s *it returns to 0-1% after 1-2 mins depending on the app*, if i closed the app and reopened it, it takes like a sec or two to run with no disk usage at all and when i restart the pc and run any app again the same thing happens all over again , this happens with all apps (chrome. leageoflegends, steam, even taskmanager)
my pc specs
cpu ryzen 5 1600
rams 16 gb crucial ballistix sport ddr4 2400
mobo asus prime b350 plus
hdd 1tb western digital wd10eurx

one last thing , crystaldiskinfo states that i have 1934 reallocated sectors which i had in the first 15gb so i isolated the first 20gb and the rest got no badsectors at all
thanks in advance <3

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
whenever i run any application after windows startup no matter how much time after the startup the disk usage gets to 100% with no actual apps using disk all are around .1 mb/s *it returns to 0-1% after 1-2 mins depending on the app*, if i closed the app and reopened it, it takes like a sec or two to run with no disk usage at all and when i restart the pc and run any app again the same thing happens all over again , this happens with all apps (chrome. leageoflegends, steam, even taskmanager)
What you're describing sounds normal for HDD's. Basically when you load something from boot first time, Windows loads the files off the HDD but then stores a copy into unused RAM (Windows File Cache). Then when you close the game / app it and reopen it, Windows then reloads the same files from the copy in RAM rather than pull them off the HDD each time. It's what's known as "cold" (first load from HDD) vs "warm" (reload from RAM cache) startup times.

As VirtualLarry said, the only way of boosting "cold" times is to buy an SSD (well worth it even if it's just the OS + applications + currently played game). In the meantime, disabling things like real-time virus scanning, Windows File Indexing, etc, or putting the computer to sleep rather than shutdown at the end of the day can slightly improve the feel / speed of a mechanical HDD system.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Don't forget the affects of SuperFetch, either. It may be pre-caching commonly-used blocks off disk and into RAM, on cold boot.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
And, if not disabled, add Indexing to that chore.

mircato

Sep 3, 2017
superfetch, prefetching,indexing, and microsoft windows defender are all disabled already :(

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
one last thing , crystaldiskinfo states that i have 1934 reallocated sectors which i had in the first 15gb so i isolated the first 20gb and the rest got no badsectors at all
thanks in advance <3
I would not be using this HD for anything of value.
Get a SSD like the others have said, it is pretty obvious that this HD is on its way out.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Sounds like its swapping files into memory, it could also be using your paging file which is presumably on the HDD also. Disable paging file (youve got plenty of RAM anyway), disable any weird caching youve got going on, and if you still want to be part of the 21st century, get an SSD.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
thanks in advance <3
How did you isolate the first 20Gb? Is it an unused partition?
What could be happening is that there might be weak sectors elsewhere and the disk is taking a much longer time reading/writing to the sector.