high definition really that good?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: pradeep1
HD does make a big difference. Watching HD content on a large screen with a good sound system in a darkened room is like watching it in a theater. Since we bought our HDTV last year, we've cut down on seeing movies at the theater. A good quality DLP TV has that grainless filmlike quality, and you can get something as large as 50" for about $1000 nowadays.

Now to buy that HD/BluRay DVD player.

Just a quick head-check...

HD brings out that grainy filmlike quality in fully HD glory. In other words it's closer to the director/film than can ever be achieved (as long as in 1080p).

The year is 2007. Year of full glory 1080p HD.

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: spidey07
HD does make a big difference. Watching HD content on a large screen with a good sound system in a darkened room is like watching it in a theater. Since we bought our HDTV last year, we've cut down on seeing movies at the theater. A good quality DLP TV has that grainless filmlike quality, and you can get something as large as 50" for about $1000 nowadays.

HD brings out that grainy filmlike quality in fully HD glory. In other words it's closer to the director/film than can ever be achieved (as long as in 1080p).

Yeah, started to notice compression artifacts in my backedup DVDs now that I switched to a Progressive Scan DVD player.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: montypythizzle

Yeah, started to notice compression artifacts in my backedup DVDs now that I switched to a Progressive Scan DVD player.

So...........much.........misinformation........must......stop......posting.....

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: MrChad
You're familiar with DVD quality, so pop in a VHS copy of your favorite movie and watch it a bit. Looks pretty bad, huh? I bet it looks worse than you remember.

HD is like that. Once you watch it, SD television will look terrible.

VHS is analog so it would pwn DVD when played on the right equipment.

Huh? By that logic, it would also "pwn" HD then?

VHS wouldn't at that rate, but film certainly does.

No. According to your logic, film (I guess there is only 1 type?) and VHS have the same quality provided you use the right equipment....since they are both analog.
so i fucked up. stop arguing semantics.

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: montypythizzle

So...........much.........misinformation........must......stop......posting.....

How?

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Alienwho
After you watch one soccer game on HD, you will never be able to watch a regular game again.

yes, but that is because it's soccer, not because it's in HD :D