high definition really that good?

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
i live in brazil and we're still a ways back as far as HD content goes so i don't really "get" it...
in my experience regular DVD movies on regular TVs look great and I don't really see how they could look any better, or at least no that much better to warrant buying a new TV and DVD player.

now for gaming i can understand but for movies?

is it really that much of a difference?

:confused:

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
You're familiar with DVD quality, so pop in a VHS copy of your favorite movie and watch it a bit. Looks pretty bad, huh? I bet it looks worse than you remember.

HD is like that. Once you watch it, SD television will look terrible.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
It makes a big difference. You will often find yourself noticing colors and other details that you were not aware existed.

fredhe12

Apr 6, 2006
I get HD through my cable box, but not all my channels. Now, everytime I'm watching a non-HD channel, I'm wishing they were all HD. It makes a big difference.

Even better is HD DVDs.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
It's not so much SD is terrible per se... 480 lines of vertical resolution is enough (ie standard DVD)... its just that the actual broadcast is bad... (sometimes i receive SD programming that looks very nice.) nevertheless, HD is much, much prettier. the colors pop out and the details leave you in awe

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
Yes, there is a big difference between HD and SD. You have to have a good HD television though.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
There's just no way to answer your question. You just have to see it for yourself to have a solid opinion.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yes, there's a difference. Is it worth replacing your current set just to upgrade? At this time, I'd say no. If you have another reason to replace your existing set, then yes, spring for HD.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Difference, yes. But it also depends on your TV. stick HD on a SD tube.. and the difference is marginal. Go to an HDTV, and boom, shock and awe (ok, maybe not that drastic depending on who you talk to).

Is it worth it? Not yet IMO. Not until movies are under $20 and the players under $150, and preferably networks start recording in high def more broadly (aka, when it gets cheaper).

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: MrChad
You're familiar with DVD quality, so pop in a VHS copy of your favorite movie and watch it a bit. Looks pretty bad, huh? I bet it looks worse than you remember.

for the win! great analogy, i haven't watched VHS in years but I guess I can see how it's different.

it's gonna be a while before cable companies have decent HD offerings and HD-TVs become more affordable here though so by then hopefully the whole Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD thing will have simmered down so I can just pick the best one and hop on the bandwagon :D

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Yeah it's worth it, but don't buy a HD movie player yet. The whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray is a disaster. Format wars blow. Especially ones that last this long.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
After you watch one soccer game on HD, you will never be able to watch a regular game again.

pcnerd37

Sep 20, 2004
Originally posted by: TheUnk
Yeah it's worth it, but don't buy a HD movie player yet. The whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray is a disaster. Format wars blow. Especially ones that last this long.

Blu-ray has won the format war, HD-DVD is just dying a slow death.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldnt go so far to say that SD looks terrible, but HD definately looks a whole lot better. You'll watch stuff you dont care about just to marvel at the beauty of it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Yes, HD looks a lot better than SD. No, I don't think it's worth spending $1000 on a big HDTV. I spent $400 on a 26" that I use mostly for gaming lately, and I'm very pleased with it.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: pcnerd37

If I didn't own an HD-DVD player I would have to agree with you lol

:(

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

Ohh no you di nnt !!

Legend Killer in 3...2...

;)

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

VHS is analog so it would pwn DVD when played on the right equipment.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

Huh? By that logic, it would also "pwn" HD then?

pcnerd37

Sep 20, 2004

If I didn't own an HD-DVD player I would have to agree with you lol

:(

Microsoft doomed the HD-DVD the day they decided not to include it as the drive in the Xbox360. When Sony decided to put the Blu-ray in the PS3, that pretty much determined the outcome of the format war because alot of people would get Blu-ray with the PS3 where as they would have to spend $200 to buy the HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360.

Morale of the story: If you want something to be adopted, package it with something that you know is going to be a big seller anyway.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
lol, I too have never seen anything in HD. Ever since the HD craze took off, I've been in college--no money for a TV. And mom doesn't watch TV much, so she hasn't upgraded our home set.

I'm thinking the longer I can go w/o HD, the better off I am--fewer thigns to burn more money on :p

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

Huh? By that logic, it would also "pwn" HD then?

VHS wouldn't at that rate, but film certainly does.