High CPU usage on Windows 10 by "Service Host: Local System"

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
This highly annoying issue has been going on for the last few weeks. Makes my laptop heat up and ramp up the fans.

CvkpCvW.png

All Windows updates have been installed. Complete scans with Norton 2015 and MBAM show up clean. Windows trouble shooter → system maintenance tool also comes up with nothing.

Running Windows 10 64 bit.

Any ideas on how I might be able to fix this?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
If you hit the small arrow beside it you could see what service that is using that and that may point to what is causing it to use the high cpu usage

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Doesn't tell you specifically which processes uses what %, unfortunately.

kTj3Tme.png

Nov 20, 2009
If they were to give you specific details then they would be arming you with the ability be complain more precisely.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
IF you hover over the scvhost.exe that is using alot of the cpu usage, then it will list the services that it is running, which could help narrow it down.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Last edited:

jenifer3361

May 6, 2016
You can easily solve windows 10 high cpu usage problem by disabling certain useless processes and features not needed at all for basic use.

I have solved my high cpu problem by tweaking these settings.

Disable Useless notifications.

Step 1: - Press windows key + i to open system control panel.Click on system.
Step 2 – Now, click on Notifications & actions in the left menu.
There is an option in the right side, saying show me tips about windows. Turn it off.

Adjust system for best performance

Step 1: – Search view advanced system settings in start menu search box.
Step 2: – Now, click on view advanced system settings.
Step 3: – Now, choose adjust for best performance. Finally choose apply and then click ok. Finally restart your PC.

Disable Background apps running on windows 10

Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Background apps and turn all of them off.

Update Outdated drivers

Sometimes this may also be the cause. Source

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'd look at outdated drivers first and foremost, or drivers for old hardware.

I'd had this problem two years ago on a WHS2011 server. One core of the processor was pegging 100%.

There's a utility you can download named "Latency Monitor" which will analyze DPCs and interrupt requests. That, in turn, pointed me to a situation with a pre-AHCI NVidia HDD controller conflicting with the MSAHCI built-in driver of Windows. Turned out that all I needed to do was simply insert an inexpensive SATA-III controller to a PCI-E slot, and the problem disappeared. I didn't even have to "use" the controller.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Tried that too. It doesn't seem to give specific details except for "system idle process". How can you make it show specifically which process is using a lot of CPU?

Kt3EuUJ.png

You can highlight the svchost process with your mouse to see which services that process runs. Windows will group several services together under the same svchost process. System idle process is just a placeholder and is not actually using any of the CPU. It's the svchost process which is what you want to look into.

Edit: I didn't see this got necroed.