high all time minesweeper score

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: KAZANI
Okay, the "Expert" layout has 99 mines. Let's see some of the time record claims made here:

SpeedZealot369: 86 sec=1,15 mines/sec

StrangerGuy: 72 sec=1,35 mines/sec

Phlargo's friend: 67 sec=1,47 mines/sec

How can anybody think out the mines at a rate of more than 1 mine/sec? Do you just mindleslly click around the screen and you get lucky with it?
In Windows 98 it is possible to freeze the timer by Alt-Ctrl-Del so that the time it takes to calculate the next mine's position will not show up on the final score. I haven't yet figured out a cheat in WinXP though.

So let me indignantly reiterate:
YOU CHEATERS!
:frown:

I have to question it also. I mean I guess it's possible but how in the hell would you get any where near 100 seconds. Is there something I'm missing?

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: KK
Okay, the "Expert" layout has 99 mines. Let's see some of the time record claims made here:

How can anybody think out the mines at a rate of more than 1 mine/sec? Do you just mindleslly click around the screen and you get lucky with it?
In Windows 98 it is possible to freeze the timer by Alt-Ctrl-Del so that the time it takes to calculate the next mine's position will not show up on the final score. I haven't yet figured out a cheat in WinXP though.

YOU CHEATERS!

I have to question it also. I mean I guess it's possible but how in the hell would you get any where near 100 seconds. Is there something I'm missing?

Is there a way i can take a video of my skills?

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
gotta love how in the world of realistic graphics and complex game designs, classics like clicking little buttons still play a role in gaming. so simple yet so f***ing awesome

KAZANI

Sep 10, 2006
Originally posted by: SpeedZealot369

Don't bother, you are too slow anyway. The world record is 38 seconds (Text). Here's a video of how it looks like "playing" at that speed and how to do it:
Cheats

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004

YOU CHEATERS!

By your logic Metal Slug 3 cannot be speedrunned and beaten without dying at all (which is much, much harder than winmine.exe) because somebody refused to entertain the possiblity of it being done. Yet it has been done.

It is more than humanely possible to achieve a time lower than 70 secs provided you played the game countless of times thus knowing all the patterns, clicking without errors and striking a lucky mine layout allowing you blaze through the board before you even knew it was over.

BTW there is absolutely no point proving minesweeper scores by screenshots. Anybody can put any timing they want via the registry keys.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I don't think I've ever even completed Expert :(

I always end up having to guess, and guessing = bad in Minesweeper.

Maybe I should try again, like right now.

scrawnypaleguy

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2005
9 seconds easy
78 seconds intermediate
343 seconds expert

That's the best I've ever been able to do, I always end up having to guess on expert mode and those videos of people doing it in 38 seconds or something are unreal, they have to be cheating somehow, how do they avoid all the mines by just clicking like that? How do they even start without accidentally hitting a mine the first time? How do they start it without finding one of those "gap" areas with no numbers and no mines? HOW DO THEY DO IT?? I MUST KNOW!!!!

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Originally posted by: scrawnypaleguy
9 seconds easy
78 seconds intermediate
343 seconds expert

That's the best I've ever been able to do, I always end up having to guess on expert mode and those videos of people doing it in 38 seconds or something are unreal, they have to be cheating somehow, how do they avoid all the mines by just clicking like that? How do they even start without accidentally hitting a mine the first time? How do they start it without finding one of those "gap" areas with no numbers and no mines? HOW DO THEY DO IT?? I MUST KNOW!!!!

That is minesweeper clone that is used in the 38 secs video, which I presume eliminates the luck factor which is present in the normal version...

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: scrawnypaleguy
9 seconds easy
78 seconds intermediate
343 seconds expert

You cannot hit a mine in the first click (at least in the windows version). This is how I play expert, click around randomly until I open a large area, then start flagging/clearing (turn off the ? flags, that just slows you down). Probably play 3-4 boards before I get a good game going (will hit a mine in the first few random clicks).

Used to have minesweeper tournaments at our dorm in college. I think the best expert time was 48 seconds. my best was in the mid-50s, anyway, that was 10+ yrs ago now, haven't played in a long time...

Anyone claiming cheats for these low scores obviously doesn't know how to play minesweeper. It is very easy to flag multiple mines/s, you just need to practice, you will start recognizing the patterns eventually.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SpeedZealot369
Originally posted by: KK

YOU CHEATERS!

I wish you could, I would like to see how you do it that fast.

KAZANI

Sep 10, 2006
Bellow is allegedly the recording of the world record on "Expert" level. I can barely keep track of the movement of the cursor. You tell me this is due to skill in recognising "patterns" and sh*t? I refuse to accept this is done without using some sort of exploit.

37 seconds

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Bellow is allegedly the recording of the world record on "Expert" level. I can barely keep track of the movement of the cursor. You tell me this is due to skill in recognising "patterns" and sh*t? I refuse to accept this is done without using some sort of exploit.

37 seconds

Looks legit to me. I don't see why you are so skeptical of this. I guess the only thing you can do is to find someone good at minesweeper and watch them play. Anyone who can do a 60-70s expert (not too difficult to achieve) will exhibit the same play style as in this video.