Hierarchy of laptop brands?

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
This thread is just asking for flames, but IMO, based on price:performance, problems I've run into supporting systems, materials quality and styling:

Dell (price:performance owns all; quality has improved greatly recently)
Apple (great systems, Powerbooks are too expensive though)
IBM (used to be built like tanks, not impressed with quality lately, have been doing more work on IBM systems than any other. Ugly as sin.)
Sony (don't like to support them because of problems getting drivers, but I love having one as a personal machine)
Gateway (don't see too many of these anymore)
Toshiba (gone seriously downhill in the past 3 years)
Fujitsu (so flimsy)
HP/Compaq (ugh)

ceo2b

Apr 22, 2003
I think Apple and IBM consistently make better quality laptops overall. However, Apple generally tends to follow along the technological trends more quickly than say IBM. However, accessibility is generally greater for a IBM than Apple.

Dell is okay, but the only machines I'd ever consider buying is the Latitude or M60 and find the Inspiron line to be garbage even if it is the most update notebook.

Compaq (indifferent), HP nc8000 is an impressive machine for features and weight combo.
Gateway - indifferent
Fujitsu/Sony - subnotebook category is likely the best
Toshiba - has been

Overall rankings
IBM / Apple / Clevo
Dell / HP (business line)
Gateway / Compaq line
Fuj / Sony
Toshiba

ceo2b

Apr 22, 2003
I have never had my hands on a eMachine (desktop or notebook). From tidbits I've read here and there they seem to be on par with Gateway and likely better than the Compaq line.

VTboy

Banned
Oct 13, 2003
Do you think HP Laptops are better than Compaq ones. They are from the same company.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Would you take a chance on "no-name" brands like ABS PC? What about boutique brands like Alienware?

I've been shopping for the past few days and the number of possibilities is almost overwhelming . . . Online? BM? Rebates? Centrino or P4M? :confused:

dpk777

May 4, 2001
I've pretty much made up my mind to get an eMachines M6807.

After doing research and reading reviews I think this is the best way to go for $1,500.

dew042

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2000
Originally posted by: dpk777
I've pretty much made up my mind to get an eMachines M6807.

After doing research and reading reviews I think this is the best way to go for $1,500.

very fast machine -- i have set up a number of these and they are one of the fastest that BB sells. And I think the 5309 with the Barton 2500 is a great price performance machine at $950 and tax after MIR....

dew.