Hey Rossman, any hot deals at fry's for memorial day?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: gistech1978
Originally posted by: z0mb13
that athlon64 combo for 189 is pretty hot. It was 229 (i belive) in Feb.

the board it comes with has like a SiS chipset...meh. When i got mine, iwent ahead and got the DFI board with NF3 chpset instead. Paid like 270 i think.

please talk in noob terms :(
so is this board bad? how so? considering everything (case, memory, HD, etc) how much will I have to pay to make a new comp?

I just need to buy these: proc+mobo, case, memory, HD, dvdrw. Already has vid card.

If I had to buy that much stuff I would just wait for deals on the things I need. It might take a month or two, but you'd save alot of money. I got 160gb seagate SATA hard drives at fry's for 69.99 for example.
I cant remember what board it comes with, I just know it wasnt an nforce chipset. Ive never used a board with a SiS chipset and I dont think I want to.

what is the diff between nforce and sis? just quality or functionality?

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
that athlon64 combo for 189 is pretty hot. It was 229 (i belive) in Feb.

the board it comes with has like a SiS chipset...meh. When i got mine, iwent ahead and got the DFI board with NF3 chpset instead. Paid like 270 i think.

please talk in noob terms :(
so is this board bad? how so? considering everything (case, memory, HD, etc) how much will I have to pay to make a new comp?

I just need to buy these: proc+mobo, case, memory, HD, dvdrw. Already has vid card.

If I had to buy that much stuff I would just wait for deals on the things I need. It might take a month or two, but you'd save alot of money. I got 160gb seagate SATA hard drives at fry's for 69.99 for example.
I cant remember what board it comes with, I just know it wasnt an nforce chipset. Ive never used a board with a SiS chipset and I dont think I want to.

what is the diff between nforce and sis? just quality or functionality?

both, i would see what it costs to upgrade mobo's if its under 220-230 its a great deal...imho.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
so is this athlon combo a good deal or should I just wait and buy separately?

I am not a serious gamer.. just need to replace my aging p4 1.8 gig still with SDRAM :(

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
i tempted to pickup another 200gb seagate for 59 after rebate. i've already gotten two of these within the past month. lol.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: dc
i tempted to pickup another 200gb seagate for 59 after rebate. i've already gotten two of these within the past month. lol.

Gonna fill it up with more Morning Musume media? :D

imported_FishTaco

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004

I am not a serious gamer.. just need to replace my aging p4 1.8 gig still with SDRAM :(

For running at stock speed, there's nothing wrong with the ECS motherboard. Just make sure you get one that's new, not a return. I don't trust Fry's returned items. Also make sure you get a quality power supply, alot of problems stem from cheap flakey power supplies.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: FishTaco

For running at stock speed, there's nothing wrong with the ECS motherboard. Just make sure you get one that's new, not a return. I don't trust Fry's returned items. Also make sure you get a quality power supply, alot of problems stem from cheap flakey power supplies.

so if I buy this, + case + memory + hd + psu. how much will I be looking at?

Also can I use the windows xp for my dell comp??

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: bubbadu
Originally posted by: Blazin Trav
Originally posted by: bubbadu
I hate to sound like the Iraqi information minister. But I went into Staples today and looked for an ad for memorial day and one DOES NOT EXIST. Whoever created that thread on FW was full of it. No 299 laptop guys, sorry.

What does staples have to do with Fry's?

Nothing really I just wanted to clear the air about Staples. I thought I was going to get screwed over by having to setup the entire ad myself. Just thought that people looking for deals would want to know this for the weekend.

um, the ads for this weekend arn't all out yet. There are a number of stores that are still have ads to come. nooblet ;)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

more than a new dell

no

imported_FishTaco

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
Originally posted by: FishTaco

Figure around $100-150 for a good case+psu

Fry's has a 200 GB Seagate HD for $70 AR and they have 512 MB Corsair PC3200 for $30 AR.

Maybe $50 to $70 for a good DVD burner.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix

more than a new dell

no

damn I want a hot deal on a dimension STAT!

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix

more than a new dell

no

damn I want a hot deal on a dimension STAT!

go > gottadeal.com to get dell dimension coupon code

go > dell.com > home

Configure a dell dimension 3000 to your liking that reaches $900 total. Apply coupon saving $300. Your total should be $600 for the tower, the FREE 17" LCD, and free printer. Ebay/craigslist the lcd & printer which should net you at least $200. Damn decent P4 system for $400 or less.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
3000 = integrated video with no agp/pci-express slot.
boo

wait for the next time the 4700 with 17"lcd is under 500
:)