Hey - did you guys know

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
that apparently any idiot can become a Notary? I am not sure what the actual qualifications are to be one but it doesn't appear to be 'Knows how to do their job'

We went to get a form notarized and the lady insisted she didn't need to fill out the state and county lines because it was in her stamp

Wrong. The form was rejected.

Went to another one and made sure she filled out the state and county. We did not make sure she had matching dates on the 'date signed on' field because - well you'd think a friggen Notary could enter the date she signed correctly more than once. She put down the 24th on one line and the 28th on another :rolleyes:

Sure we share some of the blame for thinking a notary would be a semi-competent person. Well, lesson learned. I was tempted to ask the third notary for their ID so I could make sure they spelled their name correctly but we made them go over every line with us - even the 'simple' ones like 'Date'

Mar 16, 2005
Void-X-Self-Inking-Stamp-IS-0099.gif

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i am an notry 2. wood u lyk i make shore you're signature is legit for u?

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I thought in the US a notary is just someone at the bank who had their own stamp and will sign stuff for you, most of the time for free.

Feb 25, 2011
I thought in the US a notary is just someone at the bank who had their own stamp and will sign stuff for you, most of the time for free.
A notary is somebody who is registered with the government as a dude-who-checks-to-make-sure-that-the-other-dude-signing-this-thing-is-alive-and-probably-who-they-say-they-are person.

A notary is required to witness most legal documents, which is why banks (loans and stuff) typically have a couple on staff all the time.

Actually becoming a notary is a one page test and a $50 application fee.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
A notary is somebody who is registered with the government as a dude-who-checks-to-make-sure-that-the-other-dude-signing-this-thing-is-alive-and-probably-who-they-say-they-are person.

A notary is required to witness most legal documents, which is why banks (loans and stuff) typically have a couple on staff all the time.

Actually becoming a notary is a one page test and a $50 application fee.

Got it. It's close to what I thought :)

I know that in some other countries 'a notary' has to at least graduated law school!

Feb 25, 2011
And you can charge $20 a pop for it.

I'm pretty sure you're not legally allowed to charge more than $1. Most places I've been do it for free.

Maybe that's a state thing though.

Got it. It's close to what I thought :)

I know that in some other countries 'a notary' has to at least graduated law school!

Yeah, the term used to be used to refer to legal clerks that drew up contracts and stuff. It eventually, in american english at least, became focused on merely the witnessing of contracts.

In the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta "The Grand Duke" one of the characters is the Notary, who is the learned legal authority for the town in which the plot takes place.

Yes, I really do kick ass at Trivial Pursuit.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I don't think the notary fee is fixed, my bank does it free, but the local mail box and ship place charges about $5 or so. I've never had a notary may any mistake.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
i am an notry 2. wood u lyk i make shore you're signature is legit for u?
This.

Registered voter....there are guidelines but...costs $35 for 10 years...

We just have to verify the ID.

I can sign marriage licenses and have ~20 under my belt. Did a 100+ attendee wedding once.

It is SC though. IIRC, OCGUY said it's a bit more rigorous in Cali.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Thanks, OP.

Closed on our first house yesterday, and while the notary there handling things seemed competent enough while I signed away my soul...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Anyone can become a notary. You don't need to work at a bank.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'm pretty sure you're not legally allowed to charge more than $1. Most places I've been do it for free.

Yeah, the term used to be used to refer to legal clerks that drew up contracts and stuff. It eventually, in american english at least, became focused on merely the witnessing of contracts.

In the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta "The Grand Duke" one of the characters is the Notary, who is the learned legal authority for the town in which the plot takes place.

Yes, I really do kick ass at Trivial Pursuit.

I'm not trying to be a dick (well, maybe I am), but why wouldn't you think it's a state thing?

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

Maximum notary fees are generally set by state law. Notaries are free to charge less than the set maximum. Hence why you see the variation, both between states and between notaries.

Becoming a notary is trivially easy, as you say. They are basically a government sanctioned witness. All their signature means is that the person signing a form appeared before them, and was either personally known to them or their identity was established through accepted means. Nothing else.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Thanks, OP.

Closed on our first house yesterday, and while the notary there handling things seemed competent enough while I signed away my soul...

Chances are the person handling your closing was an attorney that also happened to be a notary.

Feb 4, 2009
**I believe** in the distant past a notary was simply someone who had a plaque that essentially said they can read & write.