Heroes of the Storm

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Started playing for real this week and chatting on Skype with a friend. Helps a lot in the overall game.

But damn I suck. I dive too much (i'm working on that lol) and never really seem i'm in control of my toon. But the game slowly grow on me. It's well made, quick and fun even in defeat, which is most of the outcome of my games...in my last 10 games we only won one, which is pretty pathetic.

Last game yesterday, we had 0 freaking kills while the other team just played with us all along. ame was lost in less that 10 minutes. Not really fun...

I play Muradin since I lvoe dwarves lol. Might try Falstad soon but i'll have to buy it sadly. I'm sitting at 7.5k gold for now and I think i'll keep it for better use/character.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
This game is pretty fun, and comebacks are possible with superior teamwork :)

Gold is slow to earn but dailies and Lv5 hero rewards help with that. Other than the grind it is pretty good so far.

I did end up buying the $19.99 retail pack with 5 heroes + a few cosmetic items just to give me a jump start, but it's not even necessary.

FYIImaSpy

Jul 10, 2009
The best way for a newcomer to get gold is to play the free-rotation-heroes for the week to lvl 5, getting gold rewards, dailies, as well as knowledge of what each heroes do.
I got 10 heroes just from leveling and gold rewards (no skins or mounts yet).

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Just recently they added some substantial gold bonuses for "levelling" your "account" :)rolleyes:) from 20 to 40 as well iirc. That actually goes by pretty quick especially if you've got a friend to play with for the XP bonus.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
The best way for a newcomer to get gold is to play the free-rotation-heroes for the week to lvl 5, getting gold rewards, dailies, as well as knowledge of what each heroes do.
I got 10 heroes just from leveling and gold rewards (no skins or mounts yet).

Good idea, i'll start doing that!

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Anyone else have issues with accidentally clicking the mini-map when in combat or running away? It's killed my hero a few times...

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
PSA if you're new to MOBA's and are trying HotS:

Don't play Versus AI games with AI Teammates enabled. The AI Teammates are criminally stupid, whereas the AI Enemy Team is competent. Play with human teammates versus AI if you're trying to get a feel for the game while earning gold.

I don't know why they did it like this or if it was even on purpose, but solo "Versus AI" games are really hard whereas 5 humans "Versus AI" is fairly easy, while still being more satisfying than the stupidly easy Tutorial Games.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Anyone else have issues with accidentally clicking the mini-map when in combat or running away? It's killed my hero a few times...

I did that a few times as well. I decided to look in the options and there's an option there to turn this off, letting you click through the minimap.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
I picked it up again after a few months of playing other stuff to kill some time until the FFXIV expansion. I think the new map (the spider one) has some good ideas behind it - more, smaller, faster turnins and losing your gems isn't nearly as devastating as losing coins on the pirate map. That said, visually, I'd rather see more maps like the Sky Temple with a brighter aesthetic.

It's still not quite ready for primetime imo. The load times for this game feel pretty crazy considering it's "just" a MOBA and I'm still annoyed there's no self-cast hotkey or party frames. Pre-defining build talents so they're automatically selected would be a great enhancement as well. I also dislike how the camera will only select a non character centric area for a certain period of time and then "leash" back to you.

Still quite fun a few games at a time though, mostly just some rough edges that will be easily fixed in time I think.

You can self cast with alt

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Is it? I don't recall seeing it in the bindings, maybe you can't change it. Which is still annoying but not as bad at least.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
You know this guy that write $hit in chat, that insult other players for not being "good enough" and to go F themselves? I hate these guys...and one of my firend I play with is this guy.

We chat on Skype when we play Heroes and he keeps spamming these garbage comments all over the place and talk about it on mic.

Yesterday I asked himself what good does it do and why he make it a case to insult players, players which it might be their first games and are still learning and adapting to the curve of the game.

I so hate this kind of behavior soooo much...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
You know this guy that write $hit in chat, that insult other players for not being "good enough" and to go F themselves? I hate these guys...and one of my firend I play with is this guy.

We chat on Skype when we play Heroes and he keeps spamming these garbage comments all over the place and talk about it on mic.

Yesterday I asked himself what good does it do and why he make it a case to insult players, players which it might be their first games and are still learning and adapting to the curve of the game.

I so hate this kind of behavior soooo much...

My 18 year old son is the same way. I don't play much with him because it ends up him raging that no one is supporting him.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
My 18 year old son is the same way. I don't play much with him because it ends up him raging that no one is supporting him.

I hear ya! My 19year old is the same way. He's been banned from LoL and WoW numerous times. He seems to think it's no big deal and just smack talk "that's part of any competitive game". But whatever I'd rather not play with these types either but it seems we all have a friend or family member that does it :(

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yeah this friend of mine trash talk everytime he can and sometimes for no real reason.

Anyways, i'm freaking hooked now. Yesterday I tried Tychus and holy hell his he fun to play. Love that Hero, the Odin with nuclear missiles is so funny! My favorite character so far.

I'm currently level 21 and my highest character is 8 (Muradin). Need to get to level 25 so I can unlock all talents on every Heroes.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Yeah this friend of mine trash talk everytime he can and sometimes for no real reason.

Anyways, i'm freaking hooked now. Yesterday I tried Tychus and holy hell his he fun to play. Love that Hero, the Odin with nuclear missiles is so funny! My favorite character so far.

I'm currently level 21 and my highest character is 8 (Muradin). Need to get to level 25 so I can unlock all talents on every Heroes.
Tychus is OP. Drop his laser in the middle of a battle and watch the fun ensue.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Tychus is OP. Drop his laser in the middle of a battle and watch the fun ensue.

I have a lot of fun with Jaina lately. Drop her ultimate on 4 guys followed by a 3-wave blizzard and watch them melt. Think I had 76k hero damage one game.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
started trying chen yesterday to get my daily achievement of playing a melee warrior for 3 matches. hated him at first because he's so soft but definitely growing on me. definitely not the easiest character to play. needs better health regen unless if i'm missing something

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I saw that they're releasing an "expansion" for Heroes of the Storm called Eternal Conflict. It seems to be centered around Diablo, and it'll come with two new heroes: King Leoric (Warrior) and the Monk (Support; will probably get an actual name like Johanna and Sonja did).

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I saw that they're releasing an "expansion" for Heroes of the Storm called Eternal Conflict. It seems to be centered around Diablo, and it'll come with two new heroes: King Leoric (Warrior) and the Monk (Support; will probably get an actual name like Johanna and Sonja did).

the paladin from D2 would be awesome. blessed hammers ftw.

I was totally digging muradin (not buying any characters yet). mtn king was my favorite hero in warcraft 3.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Monk should be good, sounds like he'll be a pretty versatile champ that can fill multiple roles based off of his level 1 talent/trait.

That said I'd like seeing more Starcraft characters. They at least feel a bit underrepresented imo.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm starting to like Uther more and more. His healing mid to end game is amazing. I was healing a comrade while he was attacked by 3 enemy Heroes but when I saw I couldn't keep up the healing I charged in to get killed and spam the heal like mad for the duration of my trait (1 or 1.5 sec cooldown on the heal). Plus the revive after death is freaking awesome.