Heroes of the Storm

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Blizzard is now selling Beta access to HotS. What a scumbag move. They are the definition of a company driven by greed.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Blizzard is now selling Beta access to HotS. What a scumbag move. They are the definition of a company driven by greed.

Well...technically you're buying a pack of heroes and it gets you into the beta access as well. They're also giving away a ton of keys into the beta. I definitely don't see it the same way you do.

On another note; I've been playing the game and I'm really enjoying it so far. I like mobas, and LoL was my favorite, but I always just got bogged down by what I think was the unnecessary complexity of them regarding the shops. HotS removes all that and leaves it 'simple', yet still requires the skill and ability to do well.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
That's what I like as well, short fast paced games and focus on objectives and team play, people say it's brain dead but i enjoy the game for its simplicity and ease to get into it, i don't have time to play 45 minute dota or lol games

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
the funny thing is that LOL was like that when it was released...

fast matches of 20 minutes

but the more people played it and the more competitive it got the longer and more complex the game become

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
That has actually been the defacto process for rolling out a moba. First stage Beta being invite only. Once they have balancing set and the game is stable give out keys to give out. Then offer basically early access to people. Then once the community is large enough and they feel they have true competition level balance and enough characters sell retail/Free to play as full release. Many moba's where still considered in beta a year after they started selling access.

MarkLuvsCS

Jun 13, 2004
the funny thing is that LOL was like that when it was released...

fast matches of 20 minutes

but the more people played it and the more competitive it got the longer and more complex the game become

There is definitely things in place that will prevent it from going so long. Structures run out of ammo and become useless. The objectives are also stronger than the teams so although games will last longer than current ones, I doubt it would extend anywhere near 30mins+.

4eigner

Oct 30, 2012
Anyone get an email for the beta? Just got one. Might check it out when I'm not playing D3 and Heroes of Newerth.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Every other day or so I check my HOTS tab and today it looks like I got beta access. Didn't get an email but have the option to install now.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
By the time I was done downloading just played through some of the initial sequence stuff. Is it me or do the default mouse bindings seem totally off compared to everything else?

guy666

Dec 25, 2010
Meh this game is pretty crappy tbh, I got bored of it pretty quickly. The hero balance in this game is probably the worst I have seen in a MOBA, mainly because of the mediocre talent system. The talents and heroes aren't really varied enough, so what you get are pretty much redundant heroes where there are several cases in which there isn't a point in picking a certain hero over another. Also the Lost Vikings were/are imba due xp soaking mechanics and them being 3 heroes in 1. I quit this game after like 2 and half weeks of play, just not a deep or interesting game.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I was in the beta for a long time but never played...tried a few games last month but it didn't hooked me. I can see the potential but these kind of games are not for me.

I don't like being yelled at by spoiled idiots because I decided to work my ass off in real life to ensure me a good future.

doejohndoe

Feb 26, 2015
I don't like being yelled at by spoiled idiots because I decided to work my ass off in real life to ensure me a good future.

I play maybe 2-3 games a day. While I do enjoy the game the "harassment" can be pretty annoying at times. Sometimes the trolls strike a nerve and I am compelled to respond.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just now got the email that I was in even though my account was flagged tuesday.

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
Anyone playing Heroes of the Storm? There was a big patch today - Sylvannas was introduced as well as a big UI overhaul and a new map. :)

I've been messing around with Murky - after the small buffs he received he's pretty solid now. Here's video of me messing around in a few games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO2utnYulK4

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
been playing a couple times a week. So far just coop matches to get my hero and player level high enough to unlock everything.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Somewhat enjoying the game. I have like no experience with this type of game tho.

FYIImaSpy

Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, the game is simple yet enjoyable. I play few games when I get tired of playing Hearthstone. Uther is my favorite hero.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
Wow..I'm surprised I like this game. I didn't expect to but now I'm hooked. Really fun IMO. I really have no experience with MOBAs though...tried League a few years ago but sucked and always got smashed so I quit....but this is fun:)

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
It's a decently fun game. It's too bad it suffers from the same thing all moba's do in that a single bad teammate can really bring a group down... No idea on how to fix that though.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I have a lot of fun with this game, as long as I play vs AI. When it comes to PVP the gap is just too big if you're playing in a random game. You might get lucky and play against another random team, but most likely you'll get some group who are way more organized and it's a slaughter. Not much fun there. I have no desire to get on teamspeak and have to learn each and every character and their strengths and weaknesses to play PVP. They should have some tiers.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I picked it up again after a few months of playing other stuff to kill some time until the FFXIV expansion. I think the new map (the spider one) has some good ideas behind it - more, smaller, faster turnins and losing your gems isn't nearly as devastating as losing coins on the pirate map. That said, visually, I'd rather see more maps like the Sky Temple with a brighter aesthetic.

It's still not quite ready for primetime imo. The load times for this game feel pretty crazy considering it's "just" a MOBA and I'm still annoyed there's no self-cast hotkey or party frames. Pre-defining build talents so they're automatically selected would be a great enhancement as well. I also dislike how the camera will only select a non character centric area for a certain period of time and then "leash" back to you.

Still quite fun a few games at a time though, mostly just some rough edges that will be easily fixed in time I think.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
can you swap RMB/LMB in the settings somewhere? I tried to look through options but the current layout is backwards to me from every other game I play and constantly gets me killed.

Ampersand38

Dec 8, 2012
Make a new hotkey profile then go here to edit it.

\Documents\Heroes of the Storm\Accounts\%Account Number%\Hotkeys

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'm liking the game, though Smite is the only other MOBA I play (not generally a fan of the genre). Most games have been pretty even, but man, last night my team played against what must have been some very young kids or people that have never played a MOBA before. It was an onslaught. My question is how did they get 5 very bad players on one team?