Heroes of the Storm

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Didn't read through the entire post, I just want to say I hope the engine is better than Dota 2's. It just doesn't feel right, even after stopping playing HoN (which, IMO, has the best engine of any MOBA released) for a long time.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
Wall of text crits you for 10,000!
Your party is defeated!
Would you like to restart?

Tmf

Jan 15, 2014
Lots of awesome heroes in that list. Can't wait for beta to start!

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
Didn't read through the entire post, I just want to say I hope the engine is better than Dota 2's. It just doesn't feel right, even after stopping playing HoN (which, IMO, has the best engine of any MOBA released) for a long time.

Agreed with this 100% .. HoN's engine feels/felt right when compared to any other recent MOBA. I wish S2 would have managed to grab the community and gain some popularity, but oh well...

Here's to hoping we get a proper feeling and fun MOBA outta this!

BergeLSU

Apr 6, 2011
Agreed with this 100% .. HoN's engine feels/felt right when compared to any other recent MOBA. I wish S2 would have managed to grab the community and gain some popularity, but oh well...

Generally, whichever game you played first (LoL, HoN, or Dota2) will feel "right" to you.

It's like playing Diablo 2 for 3 years religiously, then trying Path of Exile.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Generally, whichever game you played first (LoL, HoN, or Dota2) will feel "right" to you.

It's like playing Diablo 2 for 3 years religiously, then trying Path of Exile.

Well, I played like a thousand hours of Dota before I played another thousand hours of HoN, so when I say "feels right", I am talking about a Dota clone. Dota 2 just doesn't feel right. I have a lot of time to "adjust" as well, but it never feels as good. Like everything is sluggish. Honestly, LoL feels better than Dota 2, I just really dislike the mechanics of the game.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The video shown during the con made it seem interesting to me compared to most of these game types I've seen.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009

I agree S2 had a good game on their hands, very good graphics and animations.

However, they are terrible regarding support and development direction.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I agree S2 had a good game on their hands, very good graphics and animations.

However, they are terrible regarding support and development direction.

For sure. It sucks that S2 is such a terrible company. Their handling of the competitive scene has been nothing short of awful.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Some new snippets of info. They'll have a reward for buying something with money during the testing phase. They'll have a rotating base of free heroes. All the heroes will be freely playable in single player mode. Cost wise, seems it will follow a lot in the LoL style. And if you prepurchase D3RoS, you get a free character unlock.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Ugh... I had a feeling this would end up like that. I hate LoL's format of "spend a thousand dollars to get all characters".

Oh well, I knew this game would be similar to what they did with Hearthstone. A dumbed down version of a complex genre of sorts. I'll try it out, but will probably stick with Dota 2. =(

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
They will also have daily quest type events to get gold that presumably you could spend on these characters similar to cards in hearthstone.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
LoL business model kills any interest I had in trying the game. The leaked screenshots of the cosmetic stuff killed any lingering thought to even try this.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Cosmetic stuff does bother me. I have virtually zero interest in using anything other than the base iconic looks. If others want to splurge on that crap, have a blast.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Cosmetic stuff does bother me. I have virtually zero interest in using anything other than the base iconic looks. If others want to splurge on that crap, have a blast.

Looks don't bother me, it is entirely gameplay. And, having a LoL type hero pool is stupid. Dota 2 has shown you can make money with just cosmetic (incredibly overpriced, if I might add) garbage. You don't need to sell heroes or try and artificially inflate game time by forcing us to grind out heroes.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I should note, I have no problems with cosmetic items myself and in fact I like cosmetic items a lot. But there is a big difference in cosmetic items that fit in with the game and stuff that just looks ridiculous and out of place like what I've seen with this so far.

When I look at this stuff, it totally turns me off from even looking at it.
EaIzU0t.png

Z7Qucmj.png

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Hopefully some of that crap that looks like an lsd trip will be noted as such by the community and won't be used much.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Hopefully some of that crap that looks like an lsd trip will be noted as such by the community and won't be used much.

Any hero riding something that looks very similar to My Little Pony will have the bronies throwing money at it like there is no tomorrow. That isn't going away at all.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I should note, I have no problems with cosmetic items myself and in fact I like cosmetic items a lot. But there is a big difference in cosmetic items that fit in with the game and stuff that just looks ridiculous and out of place like what I've seen with this so far.

When I look at this stuff, it totally turns me off from even looking at it.
EaIzU0t.png

Z7Qucmj.png

so basically they are going the TF2 route?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Looks don't bother me, it is entirely gameplay. And, having a LoL type hero pool is stupid. Dota 2 has shown you can make money with just cosmetic (incredibly overpriced, if I might add) garbage. You don't need to sell heroes or try and artificially inflate game time by forcing us to grind out heroes.

So do I need to go pull out all your rants to us about grinding in Forza 5 not being an issue and perfectly acceptable and how dare we say any differently?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
They dataminers now say based on recent maintenance schedule it looks like the free hero rotation is a weekly on maintenance day cycle.