Herman Cain's New Hampshire Staff Quits

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
http://beta.news.yahoo.com/5-reasons-seek-thankless-job-president-102000055.html
1. It can be lucrative
Some long-shot candidates literally treat running for office as a full-time job, says Todd Jacobs at Yahoo! News. Newt Gingrich, and maybe-candidate Sarah Palin, are basically using their free media appearances and campaign contributions to stage profitable book tours. It is past time for Newt, especially, to "sell books on his own dime and quit wasting Republican donor money." And "why is Herman Cain running?" asks Ron Elving at NPR. Since he can't win, it sure looks like he hopes to "enhance the marketability of his motivational speaking and talk show career."

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
BHO couldn't win either, not against the political power and money of the Clintons, but........

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Yet another political whore from the repub camp. Who'da thunk it? If I donated to any of those "whores" I'd demand my money back.

edit: should have used the word prostitutes instead of whores, cause none of them are giving it away for free.

Last edited:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Two things to keep in mind...

1. Romney is from next door and will almost certainly win.
2. NH is not a red state.

So completing again Romney in a state he will win, but is also not an indicator of Republican views of things is a no win scenario.

Think of it this way:
You coach a high school baseball team.
On Tuesday you play the NY Yankees and then Wed you start your state playoffs.

Do you use your best pitcher against the Yankees knowing you will lose anyway, or do you save him for the game that actually means something to you long term.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Bachmann may surprise Romney with a win in IA and momentum may carry over to NH.

Romney couldn't win NH in 08.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Two things to keep in mind...

1. Romney is from next door and will almost certainly win.
2. NH is not a red state.

So completing again Romney in a state he will win, but is also not an indicator of Republican views of things is a no win scenario.

Think of it this way:
You coach a high school baseball team.
On Tuesday you play the NY Yankees and then Wed you start your state playoffs.

Do you use your best pitcher against the Yankees knowing you will lose anyway, or do you save him for the game that actually means something to you long term.

Your point #2 is wrong. NH has been a tossup state for decades. Admittedly it is going more Democratic (especially in 2008 with BHO) and I fully expect it to go Dem in 2012, but it certainly is not a lock for the Dems (or the GOP) in any event.

Personally I'm a bit shocked at how quickly and easily campaign staffs are quitting this time around. I guess they are pure mercenaries with no emotional investment in the campaign at all. Personally I like the true believers (of any party) a lot more.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Bachman may surprise Romney with a win in IA and momentum may carry over to NH.
Not likely.

Iowa and NH are both lousy states for early Republican primaries due to their set up or location.

The caucus in Iowa is completely different than a primary and people can win there and not even come close in NH, as Huckabee did.

Also, a candidate can win in NH and get killed every where else ala McCain 2000.

South Carolina is probably the first state that really counts on the GOP side, Florida being the next most important.

Of course after IA and NH most of the wannabes will get out of the race which sets up SC and FL as the first good head to head tests of the front runners.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Your point #2 is wrong. NH has been a tossup state for decades. Admittedly it is going more Democratic (especially in 2008 with BHO) and I fully expect it to go Dem in 2012, but it certainly is not a lock for the Dems (or the GOP) in any event.
NH may vote back and forth, but it is not a indicator or broader GOP opinions.
It might be a decent indicator of who can win in the fall, but not a good indicator of who the wider GOP wants running for Pres.

Plus Romney being from next door throws it out the window. The Democrats got screwed twice by picking someone from MA and could have gotten screwed a third time had they picked Tsongas.

I don't see how anyone can beat Romney in NH, unless someone like Perry runs and the whole party jumps behind him fast which may or may not happen, hard to tell.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
The Democrats never disappoint.

The Democrats will run the campaign of 2012 on two basic issues: Racism and the transfer of wealth.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
PJ: most NH people I know are pretty fed up with Romney and his ever changing positions/complete lack of principles. The ONLY thing Romney has going for him is that he is the annointed candidate (like Hillary in '08), which historically meant a lot in the GOP, but that was before the teabaggers.

I certainly wouldn't count it as a given that he will win NH. It won't be a flake like Perry that could take NH but someone like Huntsman certainly has the potential to do so.

If I had to put odds on it, it's a wild guess but I'd give no more than a 60% chance Romney will take NH.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
PJ: most NH people I know are pretty fed up with Romney and his ever changing positions/complete lack of principles. The ONLY thing Romney has going for him is that he is the annointed candidate (like Hillary in '08), which historically meant a lot in the GOP, but that was before the teabaggers.

I certainly wouldn't count it as a given that he will win NH. It won't be a flake like Perry that could take NH but someone like Huntsman certainly has the potential to do so.

If I had to put odds on it, it's a wild guess but I'd give no more than a 60% chance Romney will take NH.

I don't usually comment on the GOP primaries, but I have to say that if the GOP voters don't give Romney the nomination then they are more interested in ideology than winning. Romney may be a flip flopper, but he is articulate, good looking, and "presidential" in demeanor. These qualties play well in the general election. And the flip flopping probably won't hurt him much in the general election. Nor will the mormon issue. Romney IMO is the one who can beat Obama. The others have little chance even in this sagging economy.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
I don't usually comment on the GOP primaries, but I have to say that if the GOP voters don't give Romney the nomination then they are more interested in ideology than winning. Romney may be a flip flopper, but he is articulate, good looking, and "presidential" in demeanor. These qualties play well in the general election. And the flip flopping probably won't hurt him much in the general election. Nor will the mormon issue. Romney IMO is the one who can beat Obama. The others have little chance even in this sagging economy.

If you don't care about ideas, and just want to win, why even bother?

If you don't actually want things to change then why not save the time, aggravation, and money and just let Obama win again?

Put an R next to Obama's name and he's basically Romney with a few minor tweaks. Why go through the trouble for a small, incremental, barely even noticeable change?