Here's a new level of ineptitude. GOW 4 is an 80GB download.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
didnt read any of the post because..

OP, We have faster processors, way WAY faster video cards, much higher resolutions. Why the HELL are you expecting low file sizes? Clearly you have no clue what is actually in the game, soooo... imma leave it at that.

The file sizes are fine.. the graphics are handled fine. Your storage mediums are DATED. The consoles have been using bluray for years... blame the PC for not adopting them as well. We need to demand disc versions of these games be available!

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
didnt read any of the post because..

OP, We have faster processors, way WAY faster video cards, much higher resolutions. Why the HELL are you expecting low file sizes? Clearly you have no clue what is actually in the game, soooo... imma leave it at that.

The file sizes are fine.. the graphics are handled fine. Your storage mediums are DATED. The consoles have been using bluray for years... blame the PC for not adopting them as well. We need to demand disc versions of these games be available!

It's the launcher/downloader not downloading the game correctly and constantly re-downloading it that is the real issue

Feb 25, 2011
penn
That's why I paid for unlimited. There are months where I use well over 1TB of data. Sometimes almost 2TB. It depends on how much I stream 4k movies and shows and how many games release that I download.

My router logs say I average about 250/month, but Comcast is saying I've been averaging even lower - 159GB according to them.

No way I'm paying an extra $50/month "just in case."

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
1TB SSDs can be had for just over $300 now (Samsung 850 EVO 1TB ~ $313 on Newegg) but even then, SSDs are not a standing requirement for gaming. They are definitely life changing devices and improve load times considerably, but they aren't necessary.
30c/GB is not cheap, not when 1TB HDDs are 5c/GB. In either case we're being told repeatedly that HDDs are going to die. Good luck with that when games are pushing 100GB installs.

In either case, these big games should be coming out on Bluray.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Downloading Mafia III today is taking 9 hours. Posted a few pages back, no one seems to get the world doesn't revolve around US gamers. 4K is irrelevant over here. Same with media, I stick with 720p or 480p. Won't be downloading it overnight here either, you try sleeping next to a loaded HAF XM. All these GBs, but games still barely look better than a 2-3 DVD 9 console port from 2011 that was 50%+ smaller. And Gears of War 4? Yet another bloated pregnant barely 10 hour shooter that will take three times that to actually get in the first place!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
penn

My router logs say I average about 250/month, but Comcast is saying I've been averaging even lower - 159GB according to them.

No way I'm paying an extra $50/month "just in case."

Yeah that's totally fair, but like I said I always went over the 300GB cap they had and sometimes even the new 1024GB cap they have by quite a lot as I said.

steelodon

Oct 29, 2007
So the game finally decides to download. It get halfway and fails. Last amount downloaded on the second attempt was 58GB. Hopefully this game completes the download.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
So the game finally decides to download. It get halfway and fails. Last amount downloaded on the second attempt was 58GB. Hopefully this game completes the download.

You might be better off downloading a torrent of it and then over writing the folder and then let the patcher resume, it might get past the point where it keeps stopping, i've had success in the past with games like this that are a pain to download.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
I'm lucky to not have any datacap yet with my current connection it would take a day and half at full speed to download the game... heck I still remember this:

Yes you read that right: 96_K_B, not GB nor MB.
Devs should really focus on procedural tools for texture generation/compression or we'll end up with terabytes games by 2020-25, 8K textures will make that happen 100% if they leave the situation like this.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Games are going to grow as they get more complex, both visually and behind the scenes (physics and AI).

It's ISP's that need to be yelled at, not developers. Computers are more than capable of dealing with a large game, if you're moaning about hardware, it's your hardware, not the game, that needs to change.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Downloading Mafia III today is taking 9 hours. Posted a few pages back, no one seems to get the world doesn't revolve around US gamers. 4K is irrelevant over here. Same with media, I stick with 720p or 480p. Won't be downloading it overnight here either, you try sleeping next to a loaded HAF XM. All these GBs, but games still barely look better than a 2-3 DVD 9 console port from 2011 that was 50%+ smaller. And Gears of War 4? Yet another bloated pregnant barely 10 hour shooter that will take three times that to actually get in the first place!

If you're going to make the argument that gaming doesn't revolve around the US, maybe you shouldn't use a Californian developed game set in New Orleans as your example...

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
If you're going to make the argument that gaming doesn't revolve around the US, maybe you shouldn't use a Californian developed game set in New Orleans as your example...

Which is irrelevant. Seeing as most everything is global now - including games and their audiences - the world doesn't revolve around the US anymore, sadly that message hasn't sunken in.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013

Which is irrelevant. Seeing as most everything is global now - including games and their audiences - the world doesn't revolve around the US anymore, sadly that message hasn't sunken in.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but basically yes it does. China, US, and Japan account for more video game sales than the next 97 countries combined and Japan is half of the US or China. UK and Germany are both less than 1/5th the US or China's sales. Australia is less than 1/10th. Effectively, yes, the gaming world revolves around those countries. It's simply good business to cater to the majority of your customers. When you're selling 55 billion to China, US and Japan, the 186 million from Hong Kong isn't exactly top priority.

And if you don't think games look better than 5 years ago you're either blind or playing with really crappy settings.

Reactions: Sabrewings

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013

Again, says the person whining about playing an American-made game set in America.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Again, says the person whining about playing an American-made game set in America.

Again for the brain dead Americans the content does not matter, the size does. And Mafia 3 is PS3 grade graphics, nothing in it justifies 41GB.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Fifth time this crap is trying to download. It just keeps resetting. My bandwidth meter has 300GB downloaded on account of this game. I still can't play it. At this point I don't want to play it. I'll take the refund even if I get banned from Xbox. I'll just wash my hands of the whole play anywhere windows store garbage and never use it again. Nothing, no less a silly game is worth this.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
You might be better off downloading a torrent of it and then over writing the folder and then let the patcher resume, it might get past the point where it keeps stopping, i've had success in the past with games like this that are a pain to download.

Some people have tried. All the torrents are slow for this game apparently. Also I'd have to take ownership of that stupid game folder. I can live without this game.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Again for the brain dead Americans the content does not matter, the size does. And Mafia 3 is PS3 grade graphics, nothing in it justifies 41GB.

Seriously I read all these "technical" explanations of why these games need to be that big yet there are so many examples of better looking games with one third the filesize. It's not about the quantity of data but the quality. The artwork and how cleverly it is used. These people keep using crude brute force methods to make games and the result is this 80GB that looks no better than one of many 20-30GB games out there. That delivery system is so bad that whoever created it should be looking for a new line of work.

It won't be just 30 hours to download it. It will keep trying to the point it downloads a terrabyte and still it may not work.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I'm lucky to not have any datacap yet with my current connection it would take a day and half at full speed to download the game... heck I still remember this:

Yes you read that right: 96_K_B, not GB nor MB.
Devs should really focus on procedural tools for texture generation/compression or we'll end up with terabytes games by 2020-25, 8K textures will make that happen 100% if they leave the situation like this.

The world would be a different place if those clowns at that garbage company would think like this. Instead they littered their past with failures. The Xbox stuck because they spent so much on getting into the "set-top" market that we still don't know if it has made a profit. They are the most bloated, inefficient group of clowns on earth. They suck up resources and talent and turn them to crap. That's what they excel at.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
M3 does have serious issues but it can look good. However, we saw comparable if not superior looking games in the past that also have enormous fps advantage over it.

While it absolutely sucks when there are infrastructural and financial limits in play but everyone will point you towards addressing the bottleneck.

Game size increase is part of the hardware game, more RAM, more cores, more speed, more pixel density, more storage...

There is no real DVD successor on the PC front and even the console ones are in jeopardy for next gen consoles, the costs of R&D and fabricating a whole new environment for the physical disc cut into profits as opposed to just offloading the cost onto servers.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Again for the brain dead Americans...

lol

You sound like the Trump equivalent of whatever borders you currently reside in. There's no use in having a discussion with somebody who has such knee-jerk personal attacks to an entire country.

Reactions: Sabrewings

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Right, content doesn't matter when you make sweeping statements that don't differentiate what it is you're actually talking about. And it looks better than PS3 games. Your rig must suck. Or you have no clue what PS3 games look like. And as was also explained, it appears that the gaming world does revolve around three countries. One of them being the US.

Games will only get bigger. The fact that ISPs in your country suck shouldn't bottleneck that. ISPs suck in the US, and people complain here too. And they're just as dumb. Being in a foreign (to me) country has no bearing on your complaint whatsoever.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
So it has downloaded 73.3GB twice over and wants to start again. I don't think I'm going to get to play this game. Time to get a refund.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Saw a discounted key and bought it on impulse. Still very early in the game but it's definitely a much better port than what we usually get.
4K screenshot https://abload.de/img/gearsofwar410_14_20167vazx.jpg

Another screenshot, full resolution linked below this one:
gearsofwar410_14_20165oxvq.jpg

https://abload.de/img/gearsofwar410_14_2016m7ylz.jpg

Last edited: